Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My adventures coming back from Disneyland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My adventures coming back from Disneyland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Looks like the high was only 65 - and we were there in the middle of the day, flight was supposed to be at 11:30, we didn't leave until close to 2.

So if they had just started the plane and taken off wouldn't the "regular" (not APU) power have done its job?

Oh one other thing...we did get free drinks on board....wasn't announced, we just ordered two, asked about paying, and he waved it off. We tried the new ones - the Old Fashioned and the Margarita - pretty good, my husband said the OF was powerful.
it’s just like windows and cars and leaving kids/ pets inside. Ring 65 does not matter. Thr sunlight hiding windows gives off heat that adds ups and raises the temps. If it’s a no s7n day it will be cooler inside.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Yes, in hindsight I should have said something to a FA. But what then? Put her in a regular row where she has even less space? Most people, even if they need it for whatever reason, are reluctant to spend the money to buy that extra or F seat.

I watched her while we were sitting at the gate for an hour, she seemed to be curled up sleeping, so maybe that's how she deals with her anxiety. And maybe her seatmate on whatever flight she got on said something.

i understand some get claustrophobic etc. but these people usually sit in an aisle. I think her deal was something else but she says claustro to push people away.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
AS 1299 yesterday (Sunday, 2/5) from SNA to PDX

We board, and I'm in the exit row with my husband, 17 D and E. Woman is already sitting in 17 F. I step into the row at my seat, and start to take off my fleece. She says "can you PLEASE sit down, I'm very claustrophobic and I'm about to FREAK OUT. I said I'm just taking off my fleece, I'll be quick. She says "I have to get out of here, she pushes past me and goes and sits in (still empty) 16 F. That guy comes up the aisle and she asks if he'll sit in 17, he says fine.

Question: Should a claustrophobic person ready to FREAK OUT before the plane even takes off be allowed to be in an Exit row?

We try to reboard but since that flight has been wiped out it's manual all the way, a real slow slog.

Question: Couldn't they have just used the honor system and told everyone to take their original seats?
I wasn't there, but it does not sound like the person you described was either willing or able to help evacuate in case of an emergency. A quiet conversation with the FA in the galley describing your experience would be enough for the FA to interact with them, assess the situation, and reseat them (or ask the captain to have them removed if they weren't well enough to fly).

As for re-boarding on an honor system to not have to manually check each boarding pass? Absolutely not. The manual board process isn't that difficult if people have their boarding passes or know their seat number to look it up, but usually part of the problem is that many pax have misplaced their boarding pass by this point and likely don't remember their seat assignment especially in the back of the plane.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Yes, in hindsight I should have said something to a FA. But what then?
Then it becomes the FA's problem.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Surprised that they couldn’t just re-run the boarding process with scanning etc. On one of my flights last year we had to deplane and reboard another AS aircraft at LAX and the second boarding was just the standard process.
That's surprising to me too. Last summer I flew out of LAX on Qantas 388. Due to mechanic issues that flight delayed 25 hours. We came back to TBIT the next night with the original BP. Even TSA did not say anything.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Reboarding seemed to be a 2-part process. Guy at one podium would look at your old boarding pass, do something on what look like an I-pad (not the desk computer), then you had to stand in a different line where the woman at that podium did seem to be scanning them per usual, but you had to go to the first guy first.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska
Wow, I just flew back from Disneyland Sunday night as well, but from ONT since it was so much cheaper. Glad I missed out on the drama!
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goblazers
Wow, I just flew back from Disneyland Sunday night as well, but from ONT since it was so much cheaper. Glad I missed out on the drama!
ONT is a considerably longer distance from Disneyland than SNA - almost an hour more?

We got a pretty good price (I thought)...

And the drama had nothing to do with the airport, but the plane....the Force was Not with us.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: Alaska
ONT is a considerably longer distance from Disneyland than SNA - almost an hour more?

We got a pretty good price (I thought)...

And the drama had nothing to do with the airport, but the plane....the Force was Not with us.
It was about 30 miles and 40 mins on a Sunday afternoon?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goblazers
It was about 30 miles and 40 mins on a Sunday afternoon?
That's not bad at all. SNA was fast for us leaving on Sunday, but we arrived Wednesday during rush hour and it was a real cluster. Still better than LAX in either case.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
yikes! Just yikes.

Originally Posted by seattlebruce
Maybe they would be heroic in an emergency. They'd be the most eager person to get the door open...
this is really funny.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Your plane just passed by my window seat in the N lounge....it's being towed somewhere.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

No!!!!

Is it being towed or did it just pull out of the gate?

That's hysterical. And really worrisome.

I always had a "feeling" about those fancy planes - even all the old Horizons with the University/College logos. Just give me a plain old plane.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I think it's fine, just flew in from DCA and headed to the D gates....

Looks like it had a full schedule, didn't look TOO closely but looks like our flight on the 5th might have been the only problem.

N538AS Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware
Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
No!!!!

Is it being towed or did it just pull out of the gate?

That's hysterical. And really worrisome.

I always had a "feeling" about those fancy planes - even all the old Horizons with the University/College logos. Just give me a plain old plane.
I like Hello Kitty planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.