Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Changing NRT-HKG to NRT-HKG-PVG, failed on website, succuss with call center

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing NRT-HKG to NRT-HKG-PVG, failed on website, succuss with call center

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Lightbulb Changing NRT-HKG to NRT-HKG-PVG, failed on website, succuss with call center

Sharing some interesting experience here.

Short version:
I wanted to change my ticket for CX NRT-HKG in J to NRT-HKG-PVG on the same departure date (overnight stay in HKG but less than 24h). This wasn't possible on AS website because the search tool would not return any results for me even though the HKG-PVG availability was wide open. But I was able to add this segment by calling 800-252-7522. Paid for the difference in taxes. No call center fee.

Long version:
About a week or two ago before my plan changes were finalised, I rehearsed making this change on the website and made it all the way to the payment page. But this no longer worked when I finally was ready to make the change.
It seems AS website no longer allows NRT-HKG-PVG as one single ticket. If I search the two segments with the multi city tool, then I can get what I want and would only pay the miles as one one-way ticket.
The agent on the phone was kind of clueless on how partner awards work. She initially explained to me that me no longer seeing NRT-HKG-PVG on the website was because the award price for my date changed. I was perplexed and questioned that partner awards should be at fixed prices as the published award chart. She said no, the partners release these tickets to AS at different prices and the mile cost would change accordingly (partner dynamic pricing???). I was pretty much ready to HUCA. I asked her if I simply cancelled this ticket, would the award seat go back to inventory so that I could book with my new routing myself (no additional NRT-HKG availability at the time, a risky move. I would also need to pay the $12.5 partner booking fee again.). She answered that that would be up to how CX manages the inventory and she did not have a definitive answer.
Fortunately, she asked to put me on a brief hold. She probably went to ask some people some questions. She returned very quickly and said "you are right", and proceeded to change my reservation with no more issue.

My story has a happy ending but I do hope it did not herald the dreaded partner dynamic pricing.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Agosti
Sharing some interesting experience here.

My story has a happy ending but I do hope it did not herald the dreaded partner dynamic pricing.
CX & JL are already dynamic in Main cabin awards and have been for quite some time. I am sure premium cabins will follow. I have seen CX Main HKG-JFK for 35K instead of 30K and PE on the same flight also 35K.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.