Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

100K Complimentary Snack or Meal in Main Cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
From Earning Mileage Plan elite status - Alaska Airlines:

Complimentary snack for MVP Gold 100K members is available on most flights over 790 miles. Fresh meals for MVP Gold 100K are available via pre-order only. You will be asked to provide a credit card for any pre-ordered items, though the flight attendant onboard will comp one item onboard. Depending on length of flight and departure time, meal options may include one of our Picnic Packs, a Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter, a Protein Platter, a sandwich or a salad.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo

A few questions regarding the in-flight benefits for 100K members.
After one year as a 100K, I just realized that in the benefits, AS states "Complimentary snack or meal in Main Cabin"
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

I am curious how you guys redeem this complimentary meal? I just flew SEA-ATL which is quite long and did pre-order the Protein Platter. However, on my BoA account, it still charged $10.50 for the in-flight purchase? How come?

More broadly, in terms of food, what are we entitled to as 100K?

I think, after many years as an AS 75K, that it is a pain to have to ask for food benefits (chocolates,...) when the only thing FA need to do is check on his/her phone. It feels like begging...and I hate begging. This is especially true when your seat is located after the emergency exits after which FA don't even bother to look up who is MVP and who's not.

I get the Chocolate bar only about 50% of the time if I do not ask for it. During the pandemic, with fewer people onboard, that was probably about 66% of the time.

Premium snacks, I am not sure what this is about. No-one has ever offered me anything premium besides the Pretzel or Biscoff. Only last week was I offered Chocolate Almonds. What are the options there and how do you get these?

Complimentary meal, well for one year I missed on that one because no FA ever bothered to mention this benefit to me. The question is what are those meals supposed to look like? Those available for pre-order in the Apps? If so, why do my credit card indicates a pending authorization if it is complimentary?

Thanks for any pointer!
Minos

Last edited by Minos; Jan 23, 2023 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:47 pm

You basically need to tell the FA you are 100k AND you get your preordered snack/mea for freel. Many won’t know so they may have to check but you can also write customer care if you do get charged.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Well...that's the fun of what is the meal/snack. Some FAs its the almonds or popcorn (Which is gone now) and for some its a snack box. AS doesn't explicitly define it either. So its a game of what am I really suppose to get?

**I stand corrected. Its clearly laid out now.** Let the onboard battles begin!

Complimentary premium beverage or chocolate is available on most flights over 350 miles. Complimentary snack for MVP Gold 100K members is available on most flights over 790 miles. Fresh meals for MVP Gold 100K are available via pre-order only. You will be asked to provide a credit card for any pre-ordered items, though the flight attendant onboard will comp one item onboard. Depending on length of flight and departure time, meal options may include one of our Picnic Packs, a Signature Fruit & Cheese Platter, a Protein Platter, a sandwich or a salad. Check alaskaair.com for current offerings.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
You basically need to tell the FA you are 100k AND you get your preordered snack/mea for freel. Many won’t know so they may have to check but you can also write customer care if you do get charged.
I thought you only need to pre order for the fresh meal but not snacks. Last week during one flight, the flight attendant asked me whether I would like to get a complimentary snack pack which I didn't pre order.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nealaws
I thought you only need to pre order for the fresh meal but not snacks. Last week during one flight, the flight attendant asked me whether I would like to get a complimentary snack pack which I didn't pre order.
Not sure, I think technically only meals but I've done both just in case because sometimes they dont sell snacks except whats pre-ordered.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I got a free snack (popcorn) as a 75K last month on SEA-LIH and the FA said I didn't need to pay for it because of my elite status.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
100K was just a snack when it rolled out. Guess the offering has been upgraded. As a MM'er it does not charge me in the app either; guess this is too new for now?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by Minos
A few questions regarding the in-flight benefits for 100K members.
After one year as a 100K, I just realized that in the benefits, AS states "Complimentary snack or meal in Main Cabin"
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

I am curious how you guys redeem this complimentary meal? I just flew SEA-ATL which is quite long and did pre-order the Protein Platter. However, on my BoA account, it still charged $10.50 for the in-flight purchase? How come?

More broadly, in terms of food, what are we entitled to as 100K?

I think, after many years as an AS 75K, that it is a pain to have to ask for food benefits (chocolates,...) when the only thing FA need to do is check on his/her phone. It feels like begging...and I hate begging. This is especially true when your seat is located after the emergency exits after which FA don't even bother to look up who is MVP and who's not.

I get the Chocolate bar only about 50% of the time if I do not ask for it. During the pandemic, with fewer people onboard, that was probably about 66% of the time.

Premium snacks, I am not sure what this is about. No-one has ever offered me anything premium besides the Pretzel or Biscoff. Only last week was I offered Chocolate Almonds. What are the options there and how do you get these?

Thanks for any pointer!
Minos
This thread is a revelation! I just solemnly ate my pretzels yesterday in silence and was thankful for them since I was starving and didn't get upgraded. Do I hear you correctly - I can order a meal and get it comped? Am going to hawaii next week and need to know these secrets!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by QT31415
This thread is a revelation! I just solemnly ate my pretzels yesterday in silence and was thankful for them since I was starving and didn't get upgraded. Do I hear you correctly - I can order a meal and get it comped? Am going to hawaii next week and need to know these secrets!
+1. Never realized this for 100K that I could (must) pre order a meal to get complimentary meal. That being said, what happens if I pre order the meal then get upgraded to FC?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xrayman
+1. Never realized this for 100K that I could (must) pre order a meal to get complimentary meal. That being said, what happens if I pre order the meal then get upgraded to FC?
Nothing. You won’t get charged.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Ive begun making pre-reservation for all of my flights…..

Jiburi
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Often you can choose which meal you want.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by jiburi
Ive begun making pre-reservation for all of my flights…..

Jiburi
Seem a new problem is arising, if you were upgraded and had pre-reserved main cabin meal. I am now unable to reserve the meal for my upgraded First class cabin flight. I get the error message "Something happened on our end. Please try again later." Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jiburi
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Excellent clarification.....free cheese plates for all 100k! I have a few flights that i probably wont get the upgrade (upfront has been full for months).....so at least i get the poor mans first class in 6A.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
Seem a new problem is arising, if you were upgraded and had pre-reserved main cabin meal. I am now unable to reserve the meal for my upgraded First class cabin flight. I get the error message "Something happened on our end. Please try again later." Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jiburi
is there an option to cancel your meal or edit? If within 20 hours, it cannot be changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.