Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jun 12, 2024, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I'm having trouble finding comparisons between Premium Class and main cabin on transcons. I'm a DL loyalist but I have an upcoming BOS-PDX roundtrip and would prefer the nonstops. Haven't flown AS in maybe 7-8 years. I see the description on the booking page but the pictures are subpar. Is PC essentially equivalent to C+ on DL? Do the upgrade fees fluctuate over time? Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by GoBob
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I'm having trouble finding comparisons between Premium Class and main cabin on transcons. I'm a DL loyalist but I have an upcoming BOS-PDX roundtrip and would prefer the nonstops. Haven't flown AS in maybe 7-8 years. I see the description on the booking page but the pictures are subpar. Is PC essentially equivalent to C+ on DL? Do the upgrade fees fluctuate over time? Thank you.
I'm not too familiar with Delta so can't really compare but can answer part of your question. The price does fluctuate. In general, I think it's pretty crazy how high it can be on a long flight since it's really just a few inches of legroom and a couple drinks. The real perk is with any kind of status on AS or One World one can get into those seats for free at various times.
GoBob likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm not too familiar with Delta so can't really compare but can answer part of your question. The price does fluctuate. In general, I think it's pretty crazy how high it can be on a long flight since it's really just a few inches of legroom and a couple drinks. The real perk is with any kind of status on AS or One World one can get into those seats for free at various times.
Got it, thanks. Your description matches my essential summary of DL C+, which I get for free at booking as a Platinum (and almost always received as a silver and gold, although at 5 or 3 days out and sometimes less). I did an AS status match last summer when I had some trips planned and they magically fell apart shortly thereafter, so I don't think I can ask for another match (nor do I particularly need it). I might buy up in one direction and see if it's worth it for the return.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold, DL GM
Flown with Alaska long enough that I should know by now, but just made MVP recently and should ask - what is the "First Upgrade" fare that populates when I'm booking a flight?

Are those just flights that I can apply an MVP Gold Guest Upgrade award too (so I wouldn't be able to use a upgrade award on a Main booking), or does it mean something else?
Old Jun 13, 2024, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by skydelt
Flown with Alaska long enough that I should know by now, but just made MVP recently and should ask - what is the "First Upgrade" fare that populates when I'm booking a flight?

Are those just flights that I can apply an MVP Gold Guest Upgrade award too (so I wouldn't be able to use a upgrade award on a Main booking), or does it mean something else?
The upgrade option you see/toggle selects the lowest available fare bucket that will upgrade the status holder directly into first at booking if there was U space available without the need of using/having a GGU applied. The higher the status the more (cheaper) fare buckets there are.

A GGU allows you to move anyone, status or not, directly into first in the same way as above directly on an even larger range of fare buckets.

You can apply a GGU after the fact if U space isnít available at booking, but you have to manually check /set Expert Flyer reminders, so Id imagine itís the same way with the status based buckets (someone correct me if Iím wrong).

skydelt likes this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Jun 13, 2024 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 13, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
... can apply a GGU after the fact if U space isnít available at booking, but you have to manually check /set Expert Flyer reminders, so Id imagine itís the same way with the status based buckets (someone correct me if Iím wrong).
You also have to get off the waitlist for F or Premium to apply GGU's.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold, DL GM
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
The upgrade option you see/toggle selects the lowest available fare bucket that will upgrade the status holder directly into first at booking if there was U space available without the need of using/having a GGU applied. The higher the status the more (cheaper) fare buckets there are.

A GGU allows you to move anyone, status or not, directly into first in the same way as above directly on an even larger range of fare buckets.

You can apply a GGU after the fact if U space isnít available at booking, but you have to manually check /set Expert Flyer reminders, so Id imagine itís the same way with the status based buckets (someone correct me if Iím wrong).
Makes sense - extremely helpful, thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2024, 8:57 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
I've just made MVP for the first time, but the two flights I've had credited since have not had 50% Elite Bonus Miles added. Do these bonus miles apply only to AS flights? Or to any partner flights? The two flights in question were on Hainan.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFilmGuy
I've just made MVP for the first time, but the two flights I've had credited since have not had 50% Elite Bonus Miles added. Do these bonus miles apply only to AS flights? Or to any partner flights? The two flights in question were on Hainan.
Yes, earning rates on OW partners are often considerably less than on AS. IIRC, I only got 25% on AA.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 3:32 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Yes, earning rates on OW partners are often considerably less than on AS. IIRC, I only got 25% on AA.
Thanks mtofell, although my question wasn't about earning rates, but about Elite earning rates. One of the advertised Elite benefits is additional points compared to basic members (see screenshots below). I was just wanting to confirm this should apply to all partner flights, and not just AS flights?

Old Jun 15, 2024, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFilmGuy
Thanks mtofell, although my question wasn't about earning rates, but about Elite earning rates. One of the advertised Elite benefits is additional points compared to basic members (see screenshots below). I was just wanting to confirm this should apply to all partner flights, and not just AS flights?
Spoiler

Correct your status based earn of RDM is added automatically when the miles are credited just like it would be if you were flying an AS flight. What I believe mtofell was highlighting was to watch/check the earning rates beforehand on non AS (027) ticket stock as some AS partners have fare buckets which earn as low as 25% of distance, so say you flew 10000 miles on a AA ticket in basic economy (fare bucket B) as it earns 25% youíd only earn 2500 miles as EQM and 3750 RDM [2500 + 1250 (50% MVP bonus)].
mtofell likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
I booked an award itinerary 2 months ago on a partner airline for flights in 2025. I received confirmation codes from Alaska and the partner airline as well as an e-ticket number shortly after booking. Points were never deducted, but my credit card was charged for the nominal taxes and fees. When does Alaska Airlines typically deduct Mileage Plan miles for an award ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: FB Plat, MM FTL, IB Silver, ALL Plat
Hi everyone, I'm trying to register for Mileage Plan and keep getting this error: "One or more fields below don't match our records. Please check for possible errors and if applicable, enter the same information you used to sign up."
I'm positive I have never tried to sign up for Alaska before - what do I do?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by FFVienna
Hi everyone, I'm trying to register for Mileage Plan and keep getting this error: "One or more fields below don't match our records. Please check for possible errors and if applicable, enter the same information you used to sign up."
I'm positive I have never tried to sign up for Alaska before - what do I do?
The system is super-picky about middle names and spelling of names and all that. When names don't match perfectly it causes all kinds of problems through the AS system.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The system is super-picky about middle names and spelling of names and all that. When names don't match perfectly it causes all kinds of problems through the AS system.
But if you sign up for a new account, what would it compare the middle names and spelling to that could cause a mismatch?
philemer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.