Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jun 1, 2024, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No problem, and agreed on cool. There are 4 of us in F tomorrow from SFO to ANC and my friends were also thrilled to hear of this change as that clocks in at 2,014 miles. ;-)
SEA-CLE for us 2021miles
Old Jun 1, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Dselvan
We are British Airways Gold (One World Emerald) if that makes any difference to lounges etc.
You should get into the Alaska Lounge regardless of cabin or flight distance then.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Dessert?

I am on flight 216 from SEA-CLE. Had lunch ( burger...not bad).... but no dessert. Is it coming later? I am embarrassed to ask the FA as I probably should know.

Edit: Never mind it just showed up. Cheesecake.

Last edited by david55; Jun 2, 2024 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 3, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Thank you. Have pre-ordered already via the App. We are travelling after 11th and so the new lounge will be great but as you said, not putting my hopes up too much.
Thanks for the info
The Terminal 2 lounge is nothing too exciting. It's functional, not exceptional. The one notable shortcoming of the current SFO lounge, IMO, is the restroom. For some reason, it seems to me, AS misses the point in many of their lounges and skimps on the restroom size.
notquiteaff and Dselvan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
Well, I finally got then new companion certificate posted to my account.

I was able to book 2 economy tickets in November: ATL-SEA-KOA AND KOA-SEA-ATL.

It is showing 1st class available for upgrade.

First time on Alaska Air so I have little detailed knowledge on upgrade instruments.
Unfortunately, the companion fare is only eligible for FC upgrade based on any premium window you are in (GMVP = 72 Hours before flight etc.) if "U" class upgrade space becomes available. Paid upgrades to first or upgrades prior to this are not possible with the companion fare. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 12:24 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by Klrduks
Unfortunately, the companion fare is only eligible for FC upgrade based on any premium window you are in (GMVP = 72 Hours before flight etc.) if "U" class upgrade space becomes available. Paid upgrades to first or upgrades prior to this are not possible with the companion fare. Hope that helps.
Thanks guess it is coach for us for our anniversary. This will be my first flight on Alaska Air.. so no status to,help.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
The Terminal 2 lounge is nothing too exciting. It's functional, not exceptional. The one notable shortcoming of the current SFO lounge, IMO, is the restroom. For some reason, it seems to me, AS misses the point in many of their lounges and skimps on the restroom size.
you can blame AA for that. AS took over the lounge from them and they basically just moved in their chairs etc.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
you can blame AA for that. AS took over the lounge from them and they basically just moved in their chairs etc.
More like reused AA's old upholstered chairs.
Old Jun 4, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by Tussis
Thank you everyone for their wealth of knowledge.. random question on creative Companion Pass routings:

We have two separate trips upcoming, one late summer and one early in the new year. Our home base is PDX, and it would consist of something like DFW-PDX (one way in August, using AA for the route to Dallas), and then months later is PDX-OGG-PDX (roundtrip in Feb). Using the Multi-city search with the companion fare applied, it actually will let me get to the checkout screen for this itinerary, so seems like it would book out, and I can get the benefit of at least one more leg (DFW-PDX) being on the companion fare as well.

Big question though, is there a major risk or downside to this? What happens if we fly the first trip (DFW-PDX), but travel dates need to change for the later trip -- can we? The several months difference gives me pause, but the $400 savings is extremely tempting..
If you added an extra leg I think you mean PDX-DFW, and yes you should be able to do that. If you really meant adding DFW-PDX I don't t think you could do that because you'd be going back in the other direction. There is a thread on companion fares, which I recently posted some questions to, but it doesn't seem too active.

EDIT: I think you could fly farther east than DFW on that final leg also if you wanted to -- like NYC, DC, MIA, etc

Last edited by cpworld; Jun 4, 2024 at 5:25 pm Reason: added detail
Old Jun 7, 2024, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP.
booked an award ticket on Alaska points wanted to switch the FF to my AA with status but they wont do it and the Finnair trick doesnt work should I keep trying until I find someone or is Alaska just that strict?
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to do a date change online on an existing booking. The website would not give me the availability seen from a brand new search.

I kinda figure out it is because of the mixed cabin issue. It is either in U or in T. Cannot pull up combination of T+U.

On the other hand, this is a domestic + international on AA. Can I do the date change on the international segment on date has availability of the departure time I want. After it finalized, then I come back to do the date change on the domestic segment to the same date of the international segment?

Or just call AS to have agent do the date change with Mixed Cabin?
Old Jun 9, 2024, 1:57 am

Do we get miles/eqms for partner award flights with fare code "A"?

I understand that in general we don't get miles/eqms for award flights as they usually have a fare code of "U" which doesn't show up on the Alaska earnings chart for JAL, meaning it doesn't qualify to earn anything. That makes sense. However I recently booked a JL award flight in First and this time my JL flight shows up with a fare code of "A" instead of "U." Looking at the earnings chart, "A" does show up on the chart. Do we earn anything in this instance?

Anyone who has booked a JL award flight in First with fare code "A," did you end up earning miles/eqms as per the earning chart?
Old Jun 9, 2024, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ryan Airhead
Do we get miles/eqms for partner award flights with fare code "A"?

I understand that in general we don't get miles/eqms for award flights as they usually have a fare code of "U" which doesn't show up on the Alaska earnings chart for JAL, meaning it doesn't qualify to earn anything. That makes sense. However I recently booked a JL award flight in First and this time my JL flight shows up with a fare code of "A" instead of "U." Looking at the earnings chart, "A" does show up on the chart. Do we earn anything in this instance?

Anyone who has booked a JL award flight in First with fare code "A," did you end up earning miles/eqms as per the earning chart?
No. The system knows youre on a redemption in fare bucket A (for first class) vs a revenue/paid ticket with fare bucket A.

Enjoy the flight/experience, but no you wont earn anything from it afterwards.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
No. The system knows youre on a redemption in fare bucket A (for first class) vs a revenue/paid ticket with fare bucket A.

Enjoy the flight/experience, but no you wont earn anything from it afterwards.
Thanks for the reply and the confirm! I really appreciate it
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold (ex-75K), Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by Amil
booked an award ticket on Alaska points wanted to switch the FF to my AA with status but they wont do it and the Finnair trick doesnt work should I keep trying until I find someone or is Alaska just that strict?
what airline are you flying? what perks are you looking for with your status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.