Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old May 20, 2024, 7:24 am

status challenge

Hi everyone,

Everyone knows about status challenge for international resident? Because it is hard to fly only Alaska air.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Kwang su
Hi everyone,

Everyone knows about status challenge for international resident? Because it is hard to fly only Alaska air.
The status challenge is pretty cut and dry. It is offered with the intent that they will receive more of your business in the future.

If it will be difficult for you to complete it, perhaps you should consider a different airline.

-J.
notquiteaff and samosa like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:59 pm

This seems new but maybe I missed something always there. Got upgraded to 1st and was charged for the meal. Are meals not included if you upgrade?
Old May 24, 2024, 2:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by cyntax
This seems new but maybe I missed something always there. Got upgraded to 1st and was charged for the meal. Are meals not included if you upgrade?
Who charged you? Did you maybe have a main cabin meal ordered prior to upgrade and were charged for that?
samosa likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Who charged you? Did you maybe have a main cabin meal ordered prior to upgrade and were charged for that?
The FA. Hadn't reserved a meal, asked if any were available, brought the meal, out came the phone to charge and the question about card on file.
Old May 24, 2024, 10:00 am

The FA. Hadn't reserved a meal, asked if any were available, brought the meal, out came the phone to charge and the question about card on file.
Meals in First are supposed to be free. I am not sure why you were charged. If you had reserved a meal in main and then charged for that instead of having taken the complimentary meal, i could understand the confusion of an FA. But even then that would be a stretch, I would get a receipt if you don't have one (https://alaskareceipts.com/?lid=vanity-receipt&lid=vanity-receipt) and then write to AS. No reason you should have been charged. Per the AS site, meals in First are "All complimentary".

Old May 24, 2024, 10:02 am

Just realized you said you asked the FA if any were available. What route was this? If you were in First on a flight that had food, you should have been offered one when she came around to take food and drink orders.
Old May 24, 2024, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

That's great, but my arrival time at SEA is completely in the hands of Alaska as I am connecting in SEA and thus arriving on an AS flight.

Did they really send this SMS and a long email with irrelevant information about baggage checks and TSA peak hours to everyone who is connecting in SEA tomorrow?!
anteater likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina
Just realized you said you asked the FA if any were available. What route was this? If you were in First on a flight that had food, you should have been offered one when she came around to take food and drink orders.
OAK-SEA
Old May 25, 2024, 3:06 am

OAK-SEA
Food should have been offered and complimentary in First on this route. It is operated by Skywest or Horizon so the food is usually cold, but still complimentary. Definitely contact AS for a refund.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wharvey

I took advice here and signed up for Alaska BofA credit card. It provided for 70,000 miles and a free companion certificate for $3k spend.

i completed the spend and got the 70,000 miles in my Alaska Air account last week. However, I see nothing about the companion certificate. Anyone know how I would find that certificate?
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I think the $3K is a signup bonus requirement, whereas the companion certificate is $6K.
Originally Posted by wharvey
I will check when I get back home I was sure I got both miles and certificate for $3k spend in 90 days.
Hopefully you got this sorted by now, but I am just now looking at the offer in the seat pocket of my AS flight. And it definitely includes the companion cert for the initial $3k spend. The subsequent certs then require $6k in spend. But no guarantees that this was the same with your offer, too.

Old May 25, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hopefully you got this sorted by now, but I am just now looking at the offer in the seat pocket of my AS flight. And it definitely includes the companion cert for the initial $3k spend. The subsequent certs then require $6k in spend. But no guarantees that this was the same with your offer, too.

I recently read somewhere that flight attendants earn something like $75 per passenger they get to signup on their flight as opposed to like 5 years ago when they received compensation after 5-7 signups per month. Surprised that it's not pushed on every flight as I experience it on only about 20% of my annual flights.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:50 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There are many different kinds:

First, Alaska semi-regularly has public sales that sometimes are across the board (e.g., Fly $99 to Hawaii!), or require a publicly known coupon code (e.g., BOGO2024). Given the peak flying dates, it's unlikely they'll have either

Second, Alaska will send out personalized discount codes for various reasons: you're targeted for a promotion, they messed up on a previous flight and want to give you a "we're sorry" coupon, your company has a special discount with AS. Given you never flown AS, and you're outside their core geographic demo unlikely you have access to these either.

Finally, Alaska has their "world famous companion fare", given out through their credit cards. Given you would likely pay the high fares anyways, this seems like a no brainer, even if you never set foot on another AS plane again. It would require about 6k in spend, but you have time and the RDM bonus is high at the moment too. AS has a great partner network that (to the dismay of many here) has been greatly simplified. It's likely you can use the RDMs for an organic way for future travel.

Cheers! Let us know if you do book; plenty of us (including myself) have spare GGUs and you may get lucky that an upgrade is available
Well, I finally got then new companion certificate posted to my account.

I was able to book 2 economy tickets in November: ATL-SEA-KOA AND KOA-SEA-ATL.

It is showing 1st class available for upgrade.

First time on Alaska Air so I have little detailed knowledge on upgrade instruments.
Old May 28, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: Nectar Card
x-Mile Radius

Does Alaska offer a radius-style of flexibility during IRROPs or involuntary schedule changes? Where you can change origin or destination within 200 or 250 or 100 or something, miles?
Old May 28, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: I wish :'(
Does booking a hotel through alaskaair.com/hotels give you elite qualifying miles? Or does it count as bonus miles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.