Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Just to be sure, do elite checked bag benefits apply on domestic Saver (AS) and Basic Economy (AA) tickets, regardless? Two for MVPG/Sapphire, even on a Saver or Basic Economy ticket?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:11 am

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But if paul4471 matches to MVPG, he would have to actually qualify like anyone else for MVPG 75K - by earning 75k EQM. The status match gives him status during the period it is valid for, but doesnt give a 50k EQM headstart. At least that is how I understand it, and the rule you quoted seems to be for people who status match all the way to MVPG 75K.
This is loosely how I read it but in that case almost no incentive to do the status match for me. I'd be keen to know if there's anyone who has lived this scenario to work out what happens in reality.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: AA
AS status match

I am thinking of doing a status match with AS (from AA gold).
1. As soon as I get the temporary status, will I be able to earn 50% bonus for flown miles?
2. During the 90 day period, suppose I earn 40K elite qualifying miles only on partners. Will I get the MVP gold immediately or do I have to wait until 2025? The current rule says I have to fly AS to keep the matched status (that is not happening) but the current rule change in 2024 says the 2024 qualification does not require AS flights, so if I fly 40K EQMs by September, what will be my status?

finally, is there any opportunity to get a temporary Gold status without status match? I don't have any mid tier status with any airlines now, so trying to get the gold status so that I can earn 100% bonus miles rather than 50%
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hilton Honors Gold; Avis Presidents Club
Which 737-900 Doesnt Have Streaming Wifi?

Does anyone know what the tail # is of the 737-900 without streaming wifi?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hilton Honors Gold; Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sony2012
I am thinking of doing a status match with AS (from AA gold).
1. As soon as I get the temporary status, will I be able to earn 50% bonus for flown miles?
2. During the 90 day period, suppose I earn 40K elite qualifying miles only on partners. Will I get the MVP gold immediately or do I have to wait until 2025? The current rule says I have to fly AS to keep the matched status (that is not happening) but the current rule change in 2024 says the 2024 qualification does not require AS flights, so if I fly 40K EQMs by September, what will be my status?

finally, is there any opportunity to get a temporary Gold status without status match? I don't have any mid tier status with any airlines now, so trying to get the gold status so that I can earn 100% bonus miles rather than 50%
You have to start the challenge after July 1, 2023 to receive the status through December 31,2024.

Yes, as soon as you get the temporary status you are eligible for the 50% base miles boost. If you get 40k eqms through partners to qualify for MVPG that way, thats totally fine as well you will receive gold instantly (as soon as you qualify) for the remainder of 2023 and all the way through 2024.

Im assuming you just want to do this so that you receive the 50% multiplier on base miles. This is not for EQMs and only for redeemable miles earned. Also, be sure to look at the fare class conversion chart because EQM earn on partners is a little different than it is with American. For example, flying on american metal in O fare class only nets you 25% of the EQMs, but flying on american metal marketed by alaska (still O class) nets you 100% EQMs. No status level boost for EQMs earned as well.
sony2012 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by shallahwallah
Does anyone know what the tail # is of the 737-900 without streaming wifi?
If you have access to a door having been blown out (and a parachute or your name is Bond), I suppose you could climb up to see for yourself.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Upgrade timing

I’m a oneworld Emerald and don’t fly AS very often. Husband and I have a trip coming up next Tue which is the first time I haven’t booked AS FC since getting status. We booked O fare in PC.

I logged into the app today and saw we’d gotten the FC upgrade — five days before the flight. Is this unusual? The AA window for Platinum Pro opens up at T-72 hours, and I thought AS followed the same.

Edit: I just checked the website, and if AA PPro equates to Gold 75K, I guess that makes sense then. It was a welcomed surprise!
DCAhome likes this.

Last edited by Kawliga; Apr 18, 2024 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 21, 2024, 12:57 pm

Will there be any sales for July/August tickets? Looking for WAS-SEA round trip and fares are high! New to Alaska Air-I read in an old thread you can buy now and be reticketed and get a credit in your
wallet for the difference. Does that still happen? Even on Economy Basic fares?
Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Bit of an odd question: my 7yo was scheduled to fly as a UM on 4/15 STL-SEA on flight 388. Flight of the same number arrived SEA-STL on time that day. Folks were waiting to board in STL when they announced the flight was cancelled, allegedly due to MX. When I go on flightaware, the flight isnt there its like it was erased from the schedule. IME, when flights are cancelled (as they were during the MAX groundings), they just say cancelled for that day/flight number.

4/15 was also the day that protestors blocked SEA in the afternoon, which would have directly impacted my ability to get my kid had he flown in as scheduled given when it was supposed to arrive.

My question is: why is there no record of the cancelled flight on flightaware, and is there a chance they could have cancelled the flight to SEA *because* of the mess there that day and UMs on the flight?? He ended up getting back on the 7am the next day
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by icedancer
My question is: why is there no record of the cancelled flight on flightaware, and is there a chance they could have cancelled the flight to SEA *because* of the mess there that day and UMs on the flight??
Basically nil. Not sure why it doesnt appear on FlightAware, but Flightradar24 does show the cancellation. The next day, the aircraft was ferried to OKC (where AS contracts a maintenance facility), and returned to service on 21 April.

Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Neat! Something just seemed really suspicious when it disappeared from Flightaware. Probably should have just assumed the MX issue was real.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I'm flying ANC to JNU this evening. I'm a 100k and am 11th on the upgrade list. Does that seem right?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by bta15
I'm flying ANC to JNU this evening. I'm a 100k and am 11th on the upgrade list. Does that seem right?
Very unusual, but JNU is too. Not just Alaska, but also not easy to get in and out of.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bta15
How long ago did you make the reservation? As a100K that is pretty far down but possible, I suppose if you just made the res.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
More choice rewards coming in late 2024

Anticipating reaching 100K in next few months thanks to a couple long haul partner trips and the February 2X EQM. AS alludes to more choice awards in late 2024, including a status accelerator as a choice. Would that be like the roll over EQMs as currently offered to all 2023 100Ks for 2024? Would like to know as it would dictate travel plans for the remainder of 2024.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.