Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Apr 10, 2024, 11:15 am

Hi all. I tried to look around but didn’t find anything. Is there a thread for pan handling for GGUs? I have a round trip with U space both ways and was hoping to surprise my partner
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Atreyu21
Need some help booking 4 tickets PDX to ZLO on Alaska from 11/23-11/30. Tickets are $1780 round trip or 110,000 miles for each ticket. I have a companion fare on my card. Considering having my wife sign up for one so she can get a companion fare as well. Is there anything you’d recommend, or is ~$1800 reasonable for a round trip flight to Mexico?
It's Thanksgiving week with one flight daily. Apparently that's what the market bears. I've been watching another Mexico destination for the same time period, and it's only getting more expensive. Good use for the companion certificate, but due to high taxes on the return, your companion ticket will be $200+. So $1800 + $200 for two tickets, or $1000 each. Can't find anything on another carrier for that amount.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:17 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Taking a 175 tonight from SNA to SFO connecting to a red eye cross country. Does the Embraer have 'full sized' overheads for our carry ons? Thanks!

well, this was moot. Took an Uber to SNA, pay for a checked bag, go to the counter and get told our flight to SFO is delayed due to air traffic, the runway work at SFO. No way we can make our connection to JFK. She can get one of us to Seattle and to JFK overnight but not the other of us.

she can get is on an LAX to EWR flight, but we have to get ourselves to LAX. So, Uber #2 and another $120 later, we hope to board in 90 minutes, as the flight is already late. At least our paid Exit row upgrade is being honored on this flight. And EWR to Manhattan by cab isn’t much more expensive than from JFK.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
How did you pay for the ticket? If by wallet funds, see here starting from post #11.
The AS Wallet - How it Works and Adding/Using Credits
If cash (card ), then disregard
I paid for it with a CC. And there's nothing currently in my Wallet. It was a last-minute backup on a day that had all of the Max 9's cancellations and full flights on all other airlines from Texas to SEA the day after the NCAA Football championship in Houston. But I was able to cancel this backup flight.

Do I have to / can I take the unused ticket number and (somehow) add it to my Wallet?

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Apr 11, 2024 at 12:39 pm Reason: add question about Wallet
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
OK, after calling Reservations, I went to Manage and keyed in the ticket number. Then when the next screen came up, I had to scroll to the top to see the Cancel and Change buttons.

Whew!
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If the incoming SEA-PHL flight is late, you will just have to wait for your PHL-SEA?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Questions about how tickets refund. I have a refundable ticket that I later changed with an additional fare component paid with a second credit card. If I go to refund that ticket which credit card will it go to? Each card or just the second one used? The first card was canceled so it's possible the refund would get passed through but would rather not risk it. Or is this a situation where I have to pick up the phone?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by leland
Questions about how tickets refund. I have a refundable ticket that I later changed with an additional fare component paid with a second credit card. If I go to refund that ticket which credit card will it go to? Each card or just the second one used? The first card was canceled so it's possible the refund would get passed through but would rather not risk it. Or is this a situation where I have to pick up the phone?
In the past when I have been in the same situation, the refunds go back to the cards used for each portion of the purchase. This was as recently as a year ago so hopefully someone has had a more recent experience but in my case, it went back to both cards.
leland likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If the incoming SEA-PHL flight is late, you will just have to wait for your PHL-SEA?
Pretty much. Seattle is the only destination ex-PHL for AS, so all Seattle bound flights should utilize the same inbound aircraft.

In theory, AS can endorse pax to AA, but this would be the last resort.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I fly Alaska a lot so a little embarrassed about the rookie question but…

if I buy my ticket revenue, and I buy my companions ticket with miles…how would I like these up so they are on my PNR and can get seat selection, upgrades, etc.

I am 75K.

thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bballfan28
I fly Alaska a lot so a little embarrassed about the rookie question but…

if I buy my ticket revenue, and I buy my companions ticket with miles…how would I like these up so they are on my PNR and can get seat selection, upgrades, etc.

I am 75K.
No need to be embarrassed. There are so many details to know about airline programs, and there are slight differences between programs (see below) that I often struggle to know what rules apply.

In this case, the is no linking of reservations for the purpose of sharing benefits to a non- or lower status companion. None of the airlines I use seem to have a real PNR linking or merging feature.

Alaska says this on the upgrade page for Premium Class (and similar for First Class):

MVP Gold, Gold 75K, and Gold 100k members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation.”

I recently read some posts where AA in cases like this allows elite members to move a companion on a separate reservation to MCE (but manually via agent). Not sure if AS would be doing this, or if it depends on the agent (HUCA). Here is an example where a chat agent accommodated people in the preferred section together.

(editorial comment: this limitation has been frustrating to me when I was actively chasing AS status as I could not really benefit from my status when booking my spouse on awards from my account)
williwaw, mtofell and Bballfan28 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
(editorial comment: this limitation has been frustrating to me when I was actively chasing AS status as I could not really benefit from my status when booking my spouse on awards from my account)
Yep.... super-frustrating to not be able to use from my pile of miles for wife/kids while I chase status.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA LPLT, SQ Gold, QF, BA, UA, AS NB, Bonvoy LPLT, HH Gold
Quick Status Match Challenge - question please. I believe that I can match to MVP Gold form AA Platinum.

I have not flown AS for a few years but over Over the next 6 mths I will fly approx 60,000 qualifying miles so meeting the challenge requirements to maintain MVP Gold will be no problem but I am very unclear about how I then move up to 75k and even 100k. Is my 75K calculation based on starting at 0 for 2024 (ie so I would need 75,000 actual flown EQM's), or do I get a head start of 40,000 since I will be Gold.

Also If I do get the headstart would I be entitled to the 50k bonus miles etc when I get to 75K?

It's an important question for me since it's prob the difference between getting to OWE vs just staying at the Sapphire level which I already have as an AA lifetime plat

Appeciate any help. I did read a bunch of AS T&C's but couldn't see it explained anywhere.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by paul4471
Also If I do get the headstart would I be entitled to the 50k bonus miles etc when I get to 75K?.
copied from the AS site:

˛Members granted complimentary status, including status matched from another program, are not eligible for these bonus miles. Bonus miles are awarded when the MVP Gold 75K qualifications are met.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
copied from the AS site:

˛Members granted complimentary status, including status matched from another program, are not eligible for these bonus miles. Bonus miles are awarded when the MVP Gold 75K qualifications are met.
But if paul4471 matches to MVPG, he would have to actually qualify like anyone else for MVPG 75K - by earning 75k EQM. The status match gives him status during the period it is valid for, but doesn’t give a 50k EQM headstart. At least that is how I understand it, and the rule you quoted seems to be for people who status match all the way to MVPG 75K.
minhaoxue likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.