Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Why not? $40 is $40. I would rebook it but I guess it's up to you.

-J.
Not for $40 if you are happy with the booking.

I have had seats vanish or the price go up in the time it takes to book.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by blue bear
Not for $40 if you are happy with the booking.

I have had seats vanish or the price go up in the time it takes to book.

You don't even have to re-book--you can change the flight.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by samosa
You don't even have to re-book--you can change the flight.
I tried.... the original flight is not offered.....my guess is they assume you are going to change the flight or the date...but not the fare.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 3:43 pm

AS Partner Mistake Fare?:
Yesterday, I found two fares that lasted about 8 hours;
  1. SFO-SYD; JAN7, QF first for $1993
  2. SFO-LAX-SYD; JAN7, the LAX-SYD on the A380 QF first for $1837
Does anyone know if this is common? Just curious if some algorithm triggered by my search cleared out what seemed to be a unicorn fare.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by KiFly
Can't confirm this. I reached 75k almost three weeks ago. No 50k bonus yet... status changed a few days later though.
The 50K posted today for me, six days after the instant status change.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 1:47 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There are many different kinds:

First, Alaska semi-regularly has public sales that sometimes are across the board (e.g., Fly $99 to Hawaii!), or require a publicly known coupon code (e.g., BOGO2024). Given the peak flying dates, it's unlikely they'll have either

Second, Alaska will send out personalized discount codes for various reasons: you're targeted for a promotion, they messed up on a previous flight and want to give you a "we're sorry" coupon, your company has a special discount with AS. Given you never flown AS, and you're outside their core geographic demo unlikely you have access to these either.

Finally, Alaska has their "world famous companion fare", given out through their credit cards. Given you would likely pay the high fares anyways, this seems like a no brainer, even if you never set foot on another AS plane again. It would require about 6k in spend, but you have time and the RDM bonus is high at the moment too. AS has a great partner network that (to the dismay of many here) has been greatly simplified. It's likely you can use the RDMs for an organic way for future travel.

Cheers! Let us know if you do book; plenty of us (including myself) have spare GGUs and you may get lucky that an upgrade is available
Thank you so very much… unfortunately we have never traveled Alaska Air… so we won’t be getting any targeted offers.

i read the credit card application…. If I am reading it properly…. Even if I got the card now and immediately met the $6k spend, the companion certificate would not be issued until the anniversary date of the card.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by wharvey

i read the credit card application. If I am reading it properly. Even if I got the card now and immediately met the $6k spend, the companion certificate would not be issued until the anniversary date of the card.
The current offer at

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/

seems to offer 70k RDM + a companion fare cert for $3k spend. And then you can get another cert at every card anniversary if you spent $6k in the previous year.

From the fine print:

New Account Bonus Mile and Companion Fare Offer. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts. Cardholders who make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $3,000 (excluding any fees, such as the annual fee) that post to the account within 90 days of the account open date will qualify for 70,000 bonus miles and a round-trip coach Companion Fare code on Alaska Airlines from $122 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $23 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid published coach airfare on the same itinerary, booked at the same time on alaskaair.com. Primary fare and Companion Fare must be purchased with your Alaska Airlines credit card. The Companion Fare code must be redeemed within 12 months of the date of issue.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The current offer at

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...s-credit-card/

seems to offer 70k RDM + a companion fare cert for $3k spend. And then you can get another cert at every card anniversary if you spent $6k in the previous year.

From the fine print:

New Account Bonus Mile and Companion Fare Offer. This one-time promotion is limited to customers opening a new account in response to this offer and will not apply to requests to convert existing accounts. Cardholders who make any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $3,000 (excluding any fees, such as the annual fee) that post to the account within 90 days of the account open date will qualify for 70,000 bonus miles and a round-trip coach Companion Fare code on Alaska Airlines from $122 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $23 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid published coach airfare on the same itinerary, booked at the same time on alaskaair.com. Primary fare and Companion Fare must be purchased with your Alaska Airlines credit card. The Companion Fare code must be redeemed within 12 months of the date of issue.
THANK YOU!
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
There are many different kinds:

First, Alaska semi-regularly has public sales that sometimes are across the board (e.g., Fly $99 to Hawaii!), or require a publicly known coupon code (e.g., BOGO2024). Given the peak flying dates, it's unlikely they'll have either

Second, Alaska will send out personalized discount codes for various reasons: you're targeted for a promotion, they messed up on a previous flight and want to give you a "we're sorry" coupon, your company has a special discount with AS. Given you never flown AS, and you're outside their core geographic demo unlikely you have access to these either.

Finally, Alaska has their "world famous companion fare", given out through their credit cards. Given you would likely pay the high fares anyways, this seems like a no brainer, even if you never set foot on another AS plane again. It would require about 6k in spend, but you have time and the RDM bonus is high at the moment too. AS has a great partner network that (to the dismay of many here) has been greatly simplified. It's likely you can use the RDMs for an organic way for future travel.

Cheers! Let us know if you do book; plenty of us (including myself) have spare GGUs and you may get lucky that an upgrade is available
Thank you for all the advice.... based on advice I did sign up for the BofA card.... it should be here shortly and I will prepay my utilities to get the companion certificate immediately.

I now need to learn about the Alaska Air frequent flyer program.

I will come back once I book a flight... thanks for the GGU offer..... whatever that is!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I have an unused AS ticket that I cancelled within 24 hours. How do I use that to pay for my next reservation?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I have an unused AS ticket that I cancelled within 24 hours. How do I use that to pay for my next reservation?
Did you have it refunded to your original payment method or issued as credit?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Resplendent
Did you have it refunded to your original payment method or issued as credit?
A credit. I don't see it sitting in my Wallet. Do I need to book a reservation, put it on Hold and call them to use the value?

it wasn't a refund because I cancelled it within 24 hours of booking, but also within 24 hours of departure.

Thank you for choosing Alaska Airlines. The following reservation has been canceled.

Please keep this email until the ticket has been exchanged.

Traveler name(s): Ticket number(s):
MsEverywhere 027...........

You can exchange tickets online by entering the traveler's last name and ticket number (above).

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Apr 9, 2024 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:45 pm

Need some help booking 4 tickets PDX to ZLO on Alaska from 11/23-11/30. Tickets are $1780 round trip or 110,000 miles for each ticket. I have a companion fare on my card. Considering having my wife sign up for one so she can get a companion fare as well. Is there anything youd recommend, or is ~$1800 reasonable for a round trip flight to Mexico?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
A credit. I don't see it sitting in my Wallet. Do I need to book a reservation, put it on Hold and call them to use the value?

it wasn't a refund because I cancelled it within 24 hours of booking, but also within 24 hours of departure.

Thank you for choosing Alaska Airlines. The following reservation has been canceled.

Please keep this email until the ticket has been exchanged.

Traveler name(s): Ticket number(s):
MsEverywhere 027...........

You can exchange tickets online by entering the traveler's last name and ticket number (above).
How did you pay for the ticket? If by wallet funds, see here starting from post #11.
The AS Wallet - How it Works and Adding/Using Credits
If cash (card ), then disregard
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:44 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Taking a 175 tonight from SNA to SFO connecting to a red eye cross country. Does the Embraer have 'full sized' overheads for our carry ons? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.