Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:13 pm

1. do partner miles stack with elite status?

looking at BA earn chart https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtners-british

i see business J has a bonus of 250%
i'm MVP, so i also have a 50%

i assumed the latter only applied to AS marketed flights, and that my BA marketed BA operated flight would not give me this bonus.

however, i have a J flight with 6,588 bonus miles on top of 2,196 flown. this bonus is 300%. so it would seem these did indeed stack.

am i understanding it correctly that they did indeed stack? i saw this reddit thread said they do not: https://www.reddit.com/r/AlaskaAirli...world_partner/

per this post on FT it would seem my math is correct and i do indeed accrue the miles though: How many Alaska miles do I get flying SQ EWR>SIN in J?

2. how long should it take to get partner credit? i have RJ flights from 1/1/2024 i requested credit for after 14 days, we're sitting at nearly 90 days later and i still don't have it. i have enough miles in my account to be mvp gold -
41,045 - but it is still showing me as mvp/ruby. plus i have spotty credits for other flights. my flight credit is spotty - i recently got credited for some longer flights, while these prior flights were ignored. am i going to get bonused on the flights in correct order for my status recognition - when it actually comes through - or are they just going to credit a bonus not based on time flown but time credited instead? this seems like i can really lose out, like if all the long flights are credited first and i get bonused on short flights that occur after. this can be a pretty significant difference in the amount of bonus miles.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
You are conflating redeemable miles and elite qualification miles.

Your AS status gives you additional redeemable miles, but they have nothing to do with (annual) elite status qualifications.

Partner earning for status refer to the column, "elite qualifying miles" % only.

The number of miles available in your account is your redeemable miles - this is a cumulative balance. Elite qualifying miles, on the other hand, is earned each year, and every year, as it resets to zero on Jan 1.
samosa and mildfrequence like this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by vanillabean
For a long time I noticed the credit happening right when the wheels hit the ground. In the last month or so though it would generally take about an hour. Wearing dust-proof goggles Ill monitor that particularly carefully tomorrow in light of my return to 75K.
Flight miles credit and elite status update when the wheels touched the SFO runway last night. No 50K bonus miles as of this morning.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Is there a way to do a partner award booking with a stop over with mixed class? For example, economy for segment 1, business for segment 2? This is for Finnair, NYC-HEL-DEL.

I know segment 1 has economy availability, and I know segment 2 has business availability. But using the website, it prices out with only both segments in economy. If I change the dates to a time when both segments have business, it prices out to all business.

It'd save me about 20k miles if I can price it out as a stopover, even if I was paying business class prices for the whole thing, hence why I'm trying.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zdfld
Is there a way to do a partner award booking with a stop over with mixed class? For example, economy for segment 1, business for segment 2? This is for Finnair, NYC-HEL-DEL.

I know segment 1 has economy availability, and I know segment 2 has business availability. But using the website, it prices out with only both segments in economy. If I change the dates to a time when both segments have business, it prices out to all business.

It'd save me about 20k miles if I can price it out as a stopover, even if I was paying business class prices for the whole thing, hence why I'm trying.
I don't think it matters how many J legs you have in the itinerary. Once you have one, it's going to price out at the J award rate. I could be wrong, but this has been my experience.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I don't think it matters how many J legs you have in the itinerary. Once you have one, it's going to price out at the J award rate. I could be wrong, but this has been my experience.
Oh, yeah to be clear I'm fine with that, the issue is it won't give me that option.

​​​​​​I know mixed award bookings appear, but it seems you can't force a mixed award booking, at least on Finnair. In this case J from NYC-DEL on Finnair is 85k. J from HEL-DEL is 70k. And Y from NYC-HEL is 27.5k. If I book separately, it's 97.5k total, if I book it combined at the J rate it's 85k
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:21 pm

Oh, yeah to be clear I'm fine with that, the issue is it won't give me that option.

​​​​​​I know mixed award bookings appear, but it seems you can't force a mixed award booking, at least on Finnair. In this case J from NYC-DEL on Finnair is 85k. J from HEL-DEL is 70k. And Y from NYC-HEL is 27.5k. If I book separately, it's 97.5k total, if I book it combined at the J rate it's 85k
Have you tried booking it as an all Y award, then going online to change the one leg to J? Sometimes the "Change Trip" functionality works a little different than the initial booking functionality.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Have you tried booking it as an all Y award, then going online to change the one leg to J? Sometimes the "Change Trip" functionality works a little different than the initial booking functionality.
Oooh, good idea. Let me see if I can try that..... nope, it gives me the "We could not fulfill your request" error message. If I choose a date with Y, it shows up, but not dates with J.

If I do it the other way, seems fine. So first leg J, second leg Y. I might try calling again, but the first agent just said they only see what I see and didn't seem super knowledgeable.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:50 am

Oooh, good idea. Let me see if I can try that..... nope, it gives me the "We could not fulfill your request" error message. If I choose a date with Y, it shows up, but not dates with J.

If I do it the other way, seems fine. So first leg J, second leg Y. I might try calling again, but the first agent just said they only see what I see and didn't seem super knowledgeable.
I'm having similar issues this morning with changing a leg from Y to PE on AA. I looked at the AS website multiple ways to see if the flight still showed available. It did. Then I looked at ExpertFlyer. Available there as well. Then AA also showed the flight available. So I checked the domestic connecting flight into the int'l gateway airport. Those flights all showed available. So even if it were requiring the domestic connecting flight to still be available in T, then it shouldn't have been a problem. But even the AS agent couldn't get it to go through. This is quite frustrating.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:06 pm

Hello! First-time booking award travel using Alaska's website!

Looking at JAL Premium Economy round-trip between PDX and HND in October. 50k Miles there and 40K Miles back is solid value, right? Just want to make sure I'm not overpaying! Thanks for any insights!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by PDXAlaskaFF
Hello! First-time booking award travel using Alaska's website!

Looking at JAL Premium Economy round-trip between PDX and HND in October. 50k Miles there and 40K Miles back is solid value, right? Just want to make sure I'm not overpaying! Thanks for any insights!
I couldn't tell you for sure but that sounds pretty damn solid to me. Great find!

-J.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:08 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Dear Flyertalk Friends,

We have never flown Alaska Airlines before so I am not familiar with them at all.... I am looking to travel ATL - KOA Nov 23 - 30.

The prices are high.... to be expected with Thanksgiving there.... it is our 15th anniversary so we are tied to the dates.

When looking at the booking page, I see a "Use Discount or Companion Code".

Can anyone share insight on those discounts or codes? Figure I might need to start if that means a credit card signup or something else.

I am going to start researching but figured I would also ask the experts.

Thank you in advance.

William
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by wharvey
Dear Flyertalk Friends,

We have never flown Alaska Airlines before so I am not familiar with them at all.... I am looking to travel ATL - KOA Nov 23 - 30.

The prices are high.... to be expected with Thanksgiving there.... it is our 15th anniversary so we are tied to the dates.

When looking at the booking page, I see a "Use Discount or Companion Code".

Can anyone share insight on those discounts or codes? Figure I might need to start if that means a credit card signup or something else.

I am going to start researching but figured I would also ask the experts.

Thank you in advance.

William
There are many different kinds:

First, Alaska semi-regularly has public sales that sometimes are across the board (e.g., Fly $99 to Hawaii!), or require a publicly known coupon code (e.g., BOGO2024). Given the peak flying dates, it's unlikely they'll have either

Second, Alaska will send out personalized discount codes for various reasons: you're targeted for a promotion, they messed up on a previous flight and want to give you a "we're sorry" coupon, your company has a special discount with AS. Given you never flown AS, and you're outside their core geographic demo unlikely you have access to these either.

Finally, Alaska has their "world famous companion fare", given out through their credit cards. Given you would likely pay the high fares anyways, this seems like a no brainer, even if you never set foot on another AS plane again. It would require about 6k in spend, but you have time and the RDM bonus is high at the moment too. AS has a great partner network that (to the dismay of many here) has been greatly simplified. It's likely you can use the RDMs for an organic way for future travel.

Cheers! Let us know if you do book; plenty of us (including myself) have spare GGUs and you may get lucky that an upgrade is available
wharvey likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 11:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

At what $$ fare reduction do you rebook refundable tickets?

Just curious what is the threshold for AS ticket holders who have a refundable ticket and the fare goes down before travel. We have FC refundable tickets that were $1500 each... the fare is now $40 less. Doesn't quite seem worth all the hassle to cancel and rebook. Or does it?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by david55
Just curious what is the threshold for AS ticket holders who have a refundable ticket and the fare goes down before travel. We have FC refundable tickets that were $1500 each... the fare is now $40 less. Doesn't quite seem worth all the hassle to cancel and rebook. Or does it?
Why not? $40 is $40. I would rebook it but I guess it's up to you.

-J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.