Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by synnyster
Is it even possible to book 2 kids and use the companion fare if the person who has the fare is not on that itinerary?
Yes, you can use the companion fare for other people as long as the holder of the companion fare pays for it. (See #6 at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-discount-code )

I've been in that situation and as long as it's not a for-pay seat they've been happy to bring my companions up if I call and ask. (YMMV considering how many other things are HUCA situations but it's worked for me!)

Last edited by glitchy; Mar 13, 2024 at 12:41 pm Reason: added link to FAQ
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:16 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have a question regarding catering on AS. I am looking at flying SEA-SNA in F in July. I am so done with AA that I am coming over to the Light Side

Would there be a meal service on the flights leaving around 15.00? Would this be different if the flight was to SAN (I am not sure which I will fly to)? I have looked at the "What are they serving in F" but that does not really answer the question.

If this is the wrong palce - please could this be moved? Thank you all in advance
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
SFO Customer Service Airside

tl;dr version

I didn't know AS does not have ticket booking capability in the T2 SFO lounge nor at the CS desk near D8 (except when a "Lead" agent is called from the landside ticket counter).

First time I needed AS CS airside connecting IAD - SFO - SLC where my SFO-SLC flight was canceled while I was in flight over Nevada. By the time we landed I had sorted out that the AS flight had been "Diverted" to SJC from SNA due to ATC; rationale provided on the app described how this was done to avoid delays due to ATC (likely SFO capacity restrictions during runway repair). Problem for me was this included a wonderful "Shuttle" trip from SFO to SJC and another TSA experience. Not realy interested in a Lyft ride down 101 midday when already positioned at SFO with at least two flight options on UA and DL. I went to the AS Lounge and was told they have no ticket/booking capability and to go to the CS station at the edge of the D gates (near D8?). Anyway, I waited in line for a few minutes and a nice lady at the desk explained that they cannot perform ticket or booking changes and I would have to go outside security to the main ticket counter. I don't think so...

...After a few minutes discussing options to cancel that segment as I had opportunity to book either a Delta or United flight with airside access at my expense, I overheard the other agent saying something about the "Lead" coming over to assist with ticketing. It turns out they CAN perform these services, just not with the "Regular" assigned agents at that counter. When I looked back the line had gone from 1-2 to 20-30 customers. A few minutes later the "Lead" arrived and settled in to work the issues when her co-worker carrying a tablet leaned over and said "you have been taken care of and flying out of SJC. Nice. I guess he didn't get this morning's memo ;-) Anyway I engaged him in conversation about the possibility of rebooking me on another airline SFO-SLC and showed him the Delta flight on my phone. He flat out refused saying it was ATC. I responded that the diversion was likely AS initiated as per the message on my app (see above). He then said it was due to weather. Hmmm, again blue skies in SFO and the flightaware track showed a straight shot from SNA - SJC on time, not a typical diversion track circling and/or diverging. At that point I walked, took responsibility for booking the Delta flight on my nickel. Went back to the lounge. Enjoyed lunch at Lark Creek. Boarded the Delta flight and on my way.

I don't mind taking care of business and paying for the optimum, preferred solution. What I don't appreciate is a lack of customer service with a dash of questionable explanation to defend their position. That and the "We have diverted the flight to another airport and provided ground transportation rather than delay your departure because we know that is what you want". Last note is SLC isn't a hub for AS, so I believe most passengers would be arriving there as their final destination, not connecting as if they were flying Delta.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
That's frustrating. I do wish that AS had actual agents manning the lounge for IRROPS the way AA does.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Could try their chat/text agents if in similar situation in future.

A couple years ago after my flight was cancelled, the airport agents proposal was to put me on the next 1x/day flight 24 hr later. Contacted a chat agent via text and they booked me on OAL leaving within next couple hours.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by econ
Could try their chat/text agents if in similar situation in future.

A couple years ago after my flight was cancelled, the airport agents proposal was to put me on the next 1x/day flight 24 hr later. Contacted a chat agent via text and they booked me on OAL leaving within next couple hours.
Is that the option shown on the website under Contact us on the Help Center Page?

V/r,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cyborg
Is that the option shown on the website under Contact us on the Help Center Page?
Yep, thats it.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have a question regarding catering on AS. I am looking at flying SEA-SNA in F in July. I am so done with AA that I am coming over to the Light Side

Would there be a meal service on the flights leaving around 15.00? Would this be different if the flight was to SAN (I am not sure which I will fly to)? I have looked at the "What are they serving in F" but that does not really answer the question.

If this is the wrong palce - please could this be moved? Thank you all in advance
Welcome to the, "Light Side." You should get a full meal for either destination. As for just what it is it's hard to say but you'll have the chance to look at options and preorder starting two weeks before.

Here's the exact info: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:50 pm

Yep, thats it.
Thanks. I'll have that at the ready next time I fly AS, which won't be anytime soon...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:30 pm

Recently matched to Alaska 75k so not as familiar with their exact policy regarding EQM earning.

Let's say I book a regular domestic Alaska paid flight main cabin Seattle-Phoenix which is exactly 1000 butt in seat miles (for simplicity). I know the redeemable miles earned include a 75k bonus, but is there any EQM bonus? Or would the EQM earning here be 1000
​​​​​​
How does this change if it's paid first class (Alaska metal), or paid Qatar business class (partner) - any EQM bonuses here due to 75k status?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Recently matched to Alaska 75k so not as familiar with their exact policy regarding EQM earning.

Let's say I book a regular domestic Alaska paid flight main cabin Seattle-Phoenix which is exactly 1000 butt in seat miles (for simplicity). I know the redeemable miles earned include a 75k bonus, but is there any EQM bonus? Or would the EQM earning here be 1000
​​​​​​
How does this change if it's paid first class (Alaska metal), or paid Qatar business class (partner) - any EQM bonuses here due to 75k status?
There's no bump in EQM earnings attributed to status level. EQM bonus for flying First will vary between 50-100%, depending on the fare class. Partner earning can be found here. AS flight EQM earning levels can be found here. The one other thing you might consider is getting the Alaska card through Bank of America. For 2024, you can earn 4K EQM for every $10K charged to the card, up to a max of 20K EQM.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

​​​​​​
WillTravel4Food covers it well but the only thing I'd add that you might not be aware of is Alaska's minimum 500 miles for short flights. Even on a 180 mile flight (PDX>SEA for example) you get 500 EQM and RDM (+ any elite bonus on RDMs)
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:35 pm

Yep, that’s it.
So, I contacted Alaska using text and they referred me to the 800 number. After an hour of call back and transfer, the told be they would end the call, hang up as there was nothing else they could do. All I asked for was confirmation that they have communicated with BA that I did indeed take the IAD-SFO flight in F (paid) such that I would get BAEC credit. Wow, just wow...

Cheers,

-Cyborg

Last edited by cyborg; Mar 19, 2024 at 1:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cyborg
So, I contacted Alaska using text and they referred me to the 800 number. After an hour of call back and transfer, the told be they would end the call, hang up as there was nothing else they could do. All I asked for was confirmation that they have communicated with BA that I did indeed take the IAD-SFO flight in F (paid) such that I would get BAEC credit. Wow, just wow...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I don't think the AS agents can provide you much useful information on if they sent information to the BA program. You'd have to contact BA for that, and if it's missing, go through the missing mileage process.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by zdfld
I don't think the AS agents can provide you much useful information on if they sent information to the BA program. You'd have to contact BA for that, and if it's missing, go through the missing mileage process.
All I was asking is that Alaska confirm that I did indeed fly that segment and that they would report that to BA. Bad doggie on AS part here...

Cheers,

Cyborg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.