Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
With all due respect I wasn't flaming anyone or any question I was just providing my opinion just as you did -you are of course free to use your points however you like. But you seem confused about refunds. Of course all cash fares earn points - and using Amex points to purchase travel through the Amex portal is essentially just a cash ticket. But you cannot refund the cash ticket (which was the original question) and magically convert the refund into AS miles. Instead you get AS scrip in your wallet. Both the original ticket or any ticket purchased with AS scrip and any ticket purchased with cash or a credit card earn exactly the same # of AS miles when you take the flight. There is no "back door" or "side door" or any trick - it's simply a decision to blow points by buying tickets through the Amex portal. And maybe makes good sense if the cost is lower than the value of using AS miles or other potential uses of points.

The major downside in the AS program is the lack of transferrable currency - you cannot convert Amex, Chase, Cap1 or Citi points into AS miles, as was suggested in the post above.
Yeah, basically its just a way of using your amex/chase/c1/citi points at higher than 1cpp in conjunction with a companion fare or upgrade codes. It is often a better option than converting UR/MR to BA avios to book AS tix due to RDM and EQM earned.

Also one of the big knocks on booking with portals is the fact that you have to deal with a third party during IRROPS. By converting to AS wallet funds you bypass that headache.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:51 pm

I am not up to speed on the current threads on the door plug blow out, but I figured someone would enjoy his b roll NTSB footage from inside the plane.

Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Under the new (vs classic) web design, I no longer see a way to empty the cart. Would you know how to do it?

Also in the button below, why is "checkout" one word? The verb is check out, the noun is one word. Sloppiness?

notquiteaff and samosa like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Under the new (vs classic) web design, I no longer see a way to empty the cart. Would you know how to do it?

Also in the button below, why is "checkout" one word? The verb is check out, the noun is one word. Sloppiness?

You're not supposed to Flame AS in this thread
kalderlake and vanillabean like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Can't find the thread for EQM via $10k Visa purchase (all these years later, FT search continues to suck) so I'll post here:

Am I remembering incorrectly on this promo? Felt like it was launched as "new for 2024" which made me believe it would be an ongoing benefit... but now I'm seeing on the frontpage of the AS site that it's Exclusive to 2024.

ETA: Sorry for flaming FT search
Old Feb 25, 2024, 11:46 am

Question Should I dump AS credit card for baggage reason

I have miles in both AS and AA, but status in neither. No matter where I fly I have to use AS to get to a large airport. I have lost my travel companion, so I have no use for companion fare discount and annual fee has risen. Since the new alliance between AS and AA I am deciding AS miles value are declining.

I have noticed that when I look at booking award flights the same flights require more miles on AS website. I have also noticed the two sites do not necessarily use the same airline/route to get to a destination.

If I were to get an AA credit card, would it cover baggage fees booked on AS website? Of course I am not even sure if AA card covers baggage fees on their website.

Waiving baggage fees may be based on status only.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by natalie
If I were to get an AA credit card, would it cover baggage fees booked on AS website? Of course I am not even sure if AA card covers baggage fees on their website.

Waiving baggage fees may be based on status only.
AA credit cards with bag waiver only waive the fee if you check in first for an AA flight.
natalie likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My companion and I have RT tickets on the same PNR to Hawaii in a few weeks (took advantage of that 40% coupon from awhile back). Looks like due to work issues he's going to need to fly back early on United. I will be keeping my original return flight. Is it easy to cancel his portion of the return online and not mess my flight up? Is it better to call and have an agent do this? I usually fly alone or on solo PNRs so have little experience with changes made when there's more than 1 person traveling.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:00 pm

What is the best Premium Seat on 737-900s, or which to avoid?

As an AA flyer, I have never flown Alaska. I am flying a 737-900 this summer and I can choose a premium class seat in rows 6-9 but would like some advice.

What are the disadvantages of sitting in row 6? What type of legroom does it have? Is the divider with First Class annoying?

In the first of coach on American Airlines 737s, the leg room is good. But the construction of the seat legs in the last row of first class give the aisle seats in the first row of coach a more narrow legroom space than the middle and window seats. Is that the case on Alaska Airlines, too?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
What are the disadvantages of sitting in row 6?
Only two pockets per three seats.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
As an AA flyer, I have never flown Alaska. I am flying a 737-900 this summer and I can choose a premium class seat in rows 6-9 but would like some advice.

What are the disadvantages of sitting in row 6? What type of legroom does it have? Is the divider with First Class annoying?

In the first of coach on American Airlines 737s, the leg room is good. But the construction of the seat legs in the last row of first class give the aisle seats in the first row of coach a more narrow legroom space than the middle and window seats. Is that the case on Alaska Airlines, too?
Not sure about the leg room. I would say the main disadvantage is that the armrest is immovable if that matters to you. And with rows 7-9 there is a little spot to put your phone/tablet to watch entertainment. If in row 6 you will need to hold it with your hands (or use the tray table and look down). Also if sitting in the aisle the first class divider curtain can sometimes get in your way. That being said I generally like the row 6 aisle seat.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Aren’t some of the row 6 seats designated for disabled travelers? Doesn’t mean you can choose the seat, but you might get booted out of your seat (possibly at the last minute) if they need that seat. Some warning pops up during seat selection, I think.

Another downside of row six for some people is the bulky seat belts due to the embedded airbags. My wife doesn’t like these, especially after they deployed for no discernible reason on the ground (we were in row 7 or 8 and thought someone had fired a gun).

As for leg room.. I am 6 ft and all of PC has plenty of leg room for my needs.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 27, 2024 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, TrueBlue, Marriott Bonvoy, Amtrak Rewards
Have an upcoming flight on Alaska PHL-SEA. First time flying this airline. Do they have an option for free Wi-Fi with T-Mobile? If not, whatís the typical cost of Wi-Fi for this flight?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by A319 V2500
Have an upcoming flight on Alaska PHL-SEA. First time flying this airline. Do they have an option for free Wi-Fi with T-Mobile? If not, whatís the typical cost of Wi-Fi for this flight?
Yes. Otherwise $8.
A319 V2500 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:47 am

Does anyone know if itís possible for AS to change the account/milage balance a partner award is booked from without cancelling and rebooking ticket?

I jumped and booked a couple of business awards for my partner and I on the same reservation as I didnít want the space to go away while calling in. Ideally weíd each pay for our own now that we have the reservation, but Iím not sure that is possible and I donít want to cancel and bank on the space coming back to rebook. I ask as the front line AS person I spoke with said it wasnít, but Iím not sure if a FTer had one of the more experienced/old partner desk agents make it happen in the past and I just need to HUCA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.