Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 10, 2024, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tobikosan
If I buy two tickets on AS website for Condor metal and pay for them by CC and have to cancel them does the total go back to my wallet? Or two individual credits?
I think you will get two credits since you get two credit card charges. Do you want one or two? If you want two, you could always book the tickets separately, or split the reservation. So I assume you want one? Does it matter?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 9:22 am

Lower Redeemable Mileage on AS?

Is it correct that a JL I (Business) class trip earns non-status fliers only 85% of flown mileage on AS, whereas AA hands out 124$?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Has anyone flown on the MAX 8 yet? I remember reading they might feature new economy seats, not sure if this ended up being true though.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by puchong

Is it correct that a JL I (Business) class trip earns non-status fliers only 85% of flown mileage on AS, whereas AA hands out 124$?
Yes
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Assuming its ticketed on JL (i.e. not a an AS codeshare) and that its an international flight (i.e. not Japan domestic) then AS earns 70% total miles (both redeemable and EQM) for the flight.

I don't have the slightest ideas what "124$" means but AA earns: 100% of base miles flown + 150% cabin bonus of bases flown + a variable % status bonus based on your AA status, if you have it.

On AA, the numbers are also different on a JL domestic flight (within Japan). The 85% number you quoted for AS is what you earn on JL domestic flight, traveling within Japan (i.e. not long haul international)

So you really need to clarify whether you are talking about an international flight with JL or a domestic flight with JL in order to confirm your earnings.

Regards
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Assuming its ticketed on JL (i.e. not a an AS codeshare) and that its an international flight (i.e. not Japan domestic) then AS earns 70% total miles (both redeemable and EQM) for the flight.

I don't have the slightest ideas what "124$" means but AA earns: 100% of base miles flown + 150% cabin bonus of bases flown + a variable % status bonus based on your AA status, if you have it.

On AA, the numbers are also different on a JL domestic flight (within Japan). The 85% number you quoted for AS is what you earn on JL domestic flight, traveling within Japan (i.e. not long haul international)

So you really need to clarify whether you are talking about an international flight with JL or a domestic flight with JL in order to confirm your earnings.

Regards
Sorry for my typo - it should read AA allows 225% of flown mileage - and YES, all these are for international flights operated by and ticketed on JL
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Sorry for my typo - it should read AA allows 225% of flown mileage - and YES, all these are for international flights operated by and ticketed on JL
Then see my post, AS only earns 70% for international on JL (I) fares. That fare class would only earn 85% if its on a Japanese domestic flight.

AA would earn 225% on JL (I) class fare assuming no status (100% base miles +150% cabin bonus)

Regards
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by JC5280
I would watch Google flights and set up an alert. Depending on your day of travel in July, I am seeing $225-285 for most days to BZE, but dependent on the day of the week. I feel like that's a pretty good fare and would book that now, set an alert on Google Flights and get a wallet credit if it drops. I find Alaska fares tend to steadily climb as you get inside of 30 day windows and they don't often go down, unless the cabin is empty. I went to BZE in November and AS was the least expensive of the options with routing from the west coast. And it was about that each way.
thanks! Am thinking about first class fare 😅
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We’re flying SEA-LAX today. The GA announced he would start calling non-revs up by name, and eventually processed 23 or so, singles, couples, and one family of five.

That number is new to us and I’m wondering if it’s common. We’ve just never seen that many in our years of flying.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think you will get two credits since you get two credit card charges. Do you want one or two? If you want two, you could always book the tickets separately, or split the reservation. So I assume you want one? Does it matter?
I want both on my account so she gets the priviledges I get for my AS status. I would be paying for both tickets on my credit card with my money and if I needed to cancel them I would like it all to be returned to my wallet. If it comes back in separate refunds then I'm not sure it could later be used for a group of two tickets. That make sense? Thx
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I want both on my account so she gets the priviledges I get for my AS status. I would be paying for both tickets on my credit card with my money and if I needed to cancel them I would like it all to be returned to my wallet. If it comes back in separate refunds then I'm not sure it could later be used for a group of two tickets. That make sense? Thx

In my experience, wallet credit for tickets I paid for go to wallet.

The wallet has an aggregate value (sum of all credits from various sources… cancelations or giftcard deposits). And the entire sun can be applied to future purposes. In other words, let’s say you cancel two $500 tickets for wallet credit. Now your wallet has a balance of at least $1000, and if you buy a ticket for $700, you can pay the entire ticket with that wallet credit and retain $300.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
OK, so this is the first time I've come up against this with AS. Yesterday I tried to book an int'l partner award ticket for my 17 y.o. step-daughter. One way we will be traveling together, but on the return she will be traveling solo the final leg home (FRA-SEA on DE or HEL-SEA on AY). Tried online and as expected was instructed to call. So I called, and got the most interesting response. The first agent (Priority Line, btw) told me that I would have to call the airline directly to book this as it doesn't comply with AS policies. Yes, you read that right. They instructed me to call DE or AY to book the ticket using my AS miles. So at this point I realized what I was dealing with and asked to speak with a supervisor. When the supervisor came online, they didn't say call the partner airline to book. They simply said, booking unaccompanied minors on partners is outside their policy and it can't be done. The message on the website is there simply so they can tell you directly it is not possible. This forced me to book the flights directly with AY. So, so frustrating.
Another person started a separate thread about this issue that reminded me that I had been procrastinating on dealing with my minor's trip later in the summer. So today I finally took the time to call Alaska... and did get an award booked. See

AS won't allow award booking of minor on partner even by phone?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone know the reason for AS scheduling an one-off one way only flight from SFO to FLL on Apr 15?

SFO<->FLL is a seasonal route usually on the schedule between December and March. Currently, the last seasonal flight ex-SFO is scheduled for March 12, and the following day (March 13) for ex-FLL.

The April 15 flight date is filed as flight 206, which is not being used by any other current flights. Current SFO/FLL use flight numbers 371 and 374.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Anyone know the reason for AS scheduling an one-off one way only flight from SFO to FLL on Apr 15?

SFO<->FLL is a seasonal route usually on the schedule between December and March. Currently, the last seasonal flight ex-SFO is scheduled for March 12, and the following day (March 13) for ex-FLL.

The April 15 flight date is filed as flight 206, which is not being used by any other current flights. Current SFO/FLL use flight numbers 371 and 374.
Maybe positioning for a charter?
Old Feb 18, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
100K For Idiots Q - first flights as 100K where I may not be sitting in F (West Coast hops, but with light meal services). The website is giving me the opportunity to order snack boxes / F&C, etc. (and tells me it will be comped). What happens if I receive an UG? If in advance far enough to order an F meal, I'd expect the system to know that, and void my Y order. But if a battlefield or "too late to order F" upgrade, what happens? Offer of the F snack/meal or my original Y order? Only the F offering?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.