Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Could be individual bags are limited to 50#. Years ago I dealt with government agencies in California and they required bags, boxes, etc to be 50# max for safety purposes. Could be that worked it's way into the private sector.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:18 pm

Is there currently an offer for new members to get a bonus when they join Mileage Plan? (not getting a credit card)
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by bundubasher
Could be individual bags are limited to 50#. Years ago I dealt with government agencies in California and they required bags, boxes, etc to be 50# max for safety purposes. Could be that worked its way into the private sector.
The single person handling limit is actually 100 lbs. AS will allow up to 100 lbs bags, with a $100 fee over 50 lbs. For all the other major US airlines, the fee starts above 70 lbs for the higher status groups.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
Is there currently an offer for new members to get a bonus when they join Mileage Plan? (not getting a credit card)
Do you mean bonus miles specifically? FWIW there's an offer on the front page of alaskaair.com for a $25 discount cert when joining MP.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 2:39 pm

Question with BA ticket. I have a BA ticket but the flight is on AA metal. If I put my AS frequent flyer number, do I get miles based on BA fare? or on AA fare? I checked the BA flight number against the list on AS website earning and the flight number is not on the list. The flight number is BA5359 ORD to YYZ on AA metal. What would happen?
Thanks !!!
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by UA^PX
The flight number is BA5359 ORD to YYZ on AA metal. What would happen?
​​​
Your flight BA5359 ist in the range 45505819. So you would be able to earn miles based on your booking class with BA.

As I am a new member, I'm not allowed to post the direct link to the page. Googling "Earn chart for British Airways on alaska mileage plan" will give you the right page.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 3:45 pm

Oh you're right. I misread the flight number on the chart. THANKS !!!
Old Jan 31, 2024, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by glitchy
Do you mean bonus miles specifically? FWIW there's an offer on the front page of alaskaair.com for a $25 discount cert when joining MP.
Thank you, however, I was thinking bonus miles. The $25 certificate is nice, but not helpful to my friends. They will be going to Oceania for a month with several flights on Fiji Airways, so they can't use the Alaska $25 certificate within the time alotted. But they can earn Alaska miles on Fiji Airways. :-)
Old Feb 3, 2024, 2:20 pm

Haven't flown Alaska nor checked a bag in years. Need to do both this week. Do I pay the bag fees when I check in online for the flight? Then they give me something to print or a QR for the airport?
Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:45 am

Do U fares earn miles? I don't see it listed at Earning Mileage Plan miles on Alaska Airlines - Alaska Airlines
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by forthecookies
Do U fares earn miles? I don't see it listed at Earning Mileage Plan miles on Alaska Airlines - Alaska Airlines
the underlying fare earns miles. U is like a class that lays over another when you get upgraded.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by marlin
Haven't flown Alaska nor checked a bag in years. Need to do both this week. Do I pay the bag fees when I check in online for the flight? Then they give me something to print or a QR for the airport?
Thanks!
You can pay when you check in online, or pay at the airport. You can check in online and pay for the bag later too, if you want. If you pay online, it's linked to your reservation. When you get to the airport, you'll use the kiosk, punch in your reservation details, and it'll let you print out the bag tag.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 10:19 pm

Id like to book an award flight, RT to ICN on KE for late 2024, returning mid-January, 2025. While I cant book the return yet, the outbound leg is bookable at the RT fare (70K; one-way typically priced at 35K).

Can I book the outbound leg now at 70K to secure availability, and then call when its possible to tack on the mid-January return leg for free? In other words, can I pay the round trip cost for the one-way now, then add on the return leg later without incurring an additional charge?

Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I know as an elite, if I'm currently booked in an exit row seat then I will not be automatically moved into Premium. Will selecting an exit seat also preclude an automatic First Class upgrade?

-J.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I know as an elite, if I'm currently booked in an exit row seat then I will not be automatically moved into Premium. Will selecting an exit seat also preclude an automatic First Class upgrade?

-J.
No

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.