Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Question I've been struggling to figure out, if I book an award on AA using Avios or AA miles and I'm able to change my FF # to my Alaska account will I have access to MCE seats (Gold status)?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by leland
Question I've been struggling to figure out, if I book an award on AA using Avios or AA miles and I'm able to change my FF # to my Alaska account will I have access to MCE seats (Gold status)?
Officially, no you cant. Unofficially there are work arounds
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Officially, no you cant. Unofficially there are work arounds
Thanks, got those. Let me rephrase the question, does Alaska gold status provide MCE access on an award ticket?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:44 pm

How do I search for business class award availability on LATAM?

How do I search for business class award availability on LATAM using Alaska miles?
I have a current award (business) and, I think but could be wrong , it is "U". This is the one world business award booking class.
Seems strange to me because Latam is independent of any alliance.
Anyway to search , other than calling or pulling dates over and over again.
( I already have an expert flyer subscription)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by leland
Thanks, got those. Let me rephrase the question, does Alaska gold status provide MCE access on an award ticket?
Answering my question, yes it does.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:24 pm

Hi all,
Based out of PDX. I'm interested in acquiring MVP 75 or 100k this year along with Hyatt Globalist and welcome any advice/guidance. Beyond looking at alaska.com, is there an easy way to calculate CPM for flights? I started an excel spreadsheet, but I'm sure this info is out there somewhere! Any mileage run or good CPM suggestions are welcome!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:00 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bjbindustries
Hi all,
Based out of PDX. I'm interested in acquiring MVP 75 or 100k this year along with Hyatt Globalist and welcome any advice/guidance. Beyond looking at alaska.com, is there an easy way to calculate CPM for flights? I started an excel spreadsheet, but I'm sure this info is out there somewhere! Any mileage run or good CPM suggestions are welcome!
Can't help you with much other than the PDX thing. AS is decent from there but a lot of routes take you through SEA. I personally don't mind as I get extra miles and like the lounges there but if you're in a hurry it can be a drag. Like everything with airline choice the routes you fly usually make the decision for you.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:18 am

Thanks for the comment. Is it worthwhile to reposition to SEA separately, or do you just book the whole itinerary directly from PDX? Have read good things about SEA lounges and looking forward to checking some out!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
This is probably an obvious answer, but what do the letters after the flight number do? I was thinking they just be class of service, but my original booking was in G class for all flights, and now its showing Y Class.

Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bjbindustries
Thanks for the comment. Is it worthwhile to reposition to SEA separately, or do you just book the whole itinerary directly from PDX? Have read good things about SEA lounges and looking forward to checking some out!
My bookings generally take me through SEA (or whatever connecting city) as part of a single itinerary. 90%+ of my flights are OGG>PDX or the reverse. The way the AS schedule works out of PDX the direct flight usually leaves at 6-7AM which is a complete no-go for me. Waking up at 4AM west coast time (1 or 2AM at my Hawaii destination) just isn't going to happen so I often route through SEA or even catch a late afternoon/evening flight to the bay area or even So Cal to catch a late morning direct over to OGG. This is all very PDX>Hawaii centric and may not matter at all to you. Coming Hawaii>PDX is a drag too but more manageable. The direct flight generally leaves late afternoon and puts me into PDX around midnight. That is decent but the on-time % is miserable due to being at the end of a plane's day and having a VERY high chance of some delay along the way. I've had more 2AM or later arrivals at PDX than I'd care to count. Again, it all depends on the routes you fly. I'd search some flight history to see what you'll be getting into. I'm generally very happy with AS but it's not without problems and minor/moderate (sometimes major) annoyances.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 3:16 am

This year I had a few DE flights which I credited to AS. I collected around 25k miles and thought that I would be upgraded to MVP tier. However, the website/app states that I still need 2 AS legs.

I thought the qualification criteria changed starting this year? Is there any pattern to status upgrades (e.g. end of each month)? The flights posted into my account a week ago.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mystery7
This year I had a few DE flights which I credited to AS. I collected around 25k miles and thought that I would be upgraded to MVP tier. However, the website/app states that I still need 2 AS legs.

I thought the qualification criteria changed starting this year? Is there any pattern to status upgrades (e.g. end of each month)? The flights posted into my account a week ago.
Yes, the website clearly states that no AS segments are required.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

Earning status becomes simpler. In 2024, status will be based on elite-qualifying miles (EQMs) earned through Alaska and our global partners. The number of EQMs you need to reach status stays the same and you'll no longer need to fly a minimum number of Alaska flights.

It seems like Alaska hasnt found the time to update the website and app. Are you without status even though you reached the EQM requirement for MVP, or do you still have status earned last year?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:07 am

Never had status with AS before and reached the EQM requirement (for MVP) already. Hence the question, if the status upgrade usually takes that long or if its only done monthly/quarterly.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Never had status with AS before and reached the EQM requirement (for MVP) already. Hence the question, if the status upgrade usually takes that long or if it’s only done monthly/quarterly.
Status historically updated as soon as you meet the requirements.

You should reach out to Mileage Plan customer service and ask why they haven’t updated your status yet.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...t-mileage-plan

Perhaps they put all their IT staff on the phone lines to deal with the MAX schedule CF /s
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:08 am

Same for me. I should have reached MVP status by flying EI and DE yesterday. App shows 21340 EQM. But I am still listed as a regular member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.