Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old May 26, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I know... I should look, but it might be faster to just ask here

If I book a coach award ticket, am I able to upgrade it to extra legroom? First? I'm thinking no, but need to start making plans and want to go over all my options with various airlines.
Yes, via cash (for extra legroom). I am not sure about first, it depends on the type of ticket, etc because it requires a different fare class.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am booked on an AS miles FRA-LAX J class ticket Dec 14. It has now been changed to FRA-SEA-LAX. Can anyone help me as options to proceed? It was a speculative ads on to a JNB-FRA flight thanks to James here. But my ideal destination is LAS not LAX , and I would much rather do the shorter flight. How flexible is AS on various schedule changes etc. THX!
Old May 27, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Why does AS always insist to see my passport at the checkin counter before issuing me a boarding pass, even though they have seen it many times and it's stored in my profile?

And why do they "harass" me with text messages asking me to check in, only to then tell me ... sorry, see us at the counter?

#NewLobbyExperience #CrapIT
Old May 28, 2023, 8:48 pm

Hi everyone. I have a question about adding a paid segment to an award booking. I'm trying to get from NYC to Buenos Aires in November. There's very little award availability and I don't want to wait for last minute availability opening up. So I snagged a nonstop LATAM JFK-SCL flight using 45k Alaska miles. I'd like to add a paid LATAM SCL-AEP segment so that my checked bag is sent through automatically. Is this possible? Should I call LATAM to book the flight to ensure the two reservations are tied to each other? I will be allowing a five hour layover in SCL by the way.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:56 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jdhnyc
Hi everyone. I have a question about adding a paid segment to an award booking. I'm trying to get from NYC to Buenos Aires in November. There's very little award availability and I don't want to wait for last minute availability opening up. So I snagged a nonstop LATAM JFK-SCL flight using 45k Alaska miles. I'd like to add a paid LATAM SCL-AEP segment so that my checked bag is sent through automatically. Is this possible? Should I call LATAM to book the flight to ensure the two reservations are tied to each other? I will be allowing a five hour layover in SCL by the way.
There won't be any way to link the reservations, since they're two different reservations. However, LATAM could still check your bag to the final destination, just ask at JFK and have the second reservation ready to show. It's pretty common to do this, even with two different airlines (tho YMMV). The LATAM forum should have more info on through checking luggage.

The negative here is if something went wrong with the JFK-SCL flight and you misconnect, there's no
​​ obligation for LATAM to get you to AEP. But you can sometimes still get help.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Why does AS always insist to see my passport at the checkin counter before issuing me a boarding pass, even though they have seen it many times and it's stored in my profile?

And why do they "harass" me with text messages asking me to check in, only to then tell me ... sorry, see us at the counter?

#NewLobbyExperience #CrapIT
Hopefully AS incorporates AA's passport scanning feature within the app.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by humdinger
I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned or not.

Flight #1290 goes both SEA-BUR and BUR-SEA. I'll be flying on the BUR-SEA route (and only that route) in a couple days.

I went to go look where I am on the upgrade list. As an MVP75K, I'm usually somewhat near the top. But on the BUR-SEA portion, I don't appear at all. However, I do appear on the SEA-BUR portion, near the top.

I've triple-checked and made sure my ticket is for BUR-SEA. Does anybody think there will be a problem with me getting on board? Anybody think that the upgrade processor will run smoothly?

Thanks!
-HD
Probably too late for an answer, but do not be concerned. Every once in a while that would happen to me, I would show. up on the list for a different flight, not the one I am actually booked on. Sometimes, IT is wonky. I have a flight outbound on Tuesday SEA SJC, and SJC SEA back on Friday but the return flight is loaded first in my app, with the outbound as the "return". The dates are correct, just backwards loading of the flights.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Question Re: using AS miles to upgrade on BA I have a friend who is traveling PE on BA this Oct. Her route is STL-ORD-LHR, with STL-ORD on AA and ORD-LHR on BA..... I believe she booked this through AA. We were suppose to do this trip with her pre-Covid, but schedule conflicts means she will be doing this trip solo. As a gesture of goodwill, I was thinking about getting her upgraded to J on the ORD-LHR segment using some AS miles that I was planning to use on CX but will not be. Was wondering if there is any way to get AS to upgrade her ORD-LHR segment on BA using my AS miles? Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brostman
Question Re: using AS miles to upgrade on BA I have a friend who is traveling PE on BA this Oct. Her route is STL-ORD-LHR, with STL-ORD on AA and ORD-LHR on BA..... I believe she booked this through AA. We were suppose to do this trip with her pre-Covid, but schedule conflicts means she will be doing this trip solo. As a gesture of goodwill, I was thinking about getting her upgraded to J on the ORD-LHR segment using some AS miles that I was planning to use on CX but will not be. Was wondering if there is any way to get AS to upgrade her ORD-LHR segment on BA using my AS miles? Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
It is not possible to use AS miles to upgrade partner flights. You could redeem AS miles for an award on AA or BA but not on an itinerary with both AA & BA flights.

James
Old May 31, 2023, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
If I were to book JFK-SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU with SEA to JNU on the same flight number, would I get 500-mile minimums for each segment or would SEA-...-JNU credit as point-to-point distance?
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No, direct flights (same flight number) earn on the distance between origin & destination, regardless of the number of stops.
Originally Posted by SoFlaFlyer737
I'm pretty sure James is correct...those are USPS flights as well and they make it all one trip, so you can't accrue the minimum 500 miles per flight...You would get to see some beautiful scenery if the weather's good. I love JUN, been there a few times for days each, really want to go Sitka (and less so Ketchikan, Wrangell and Petersburg). Will probably fly into one, take the ferry nd fly out of the other.
Thank you both for your responses. Another thought just crossed my mind: how would it count in terms of segments, using the originally-quoted routing?

-J.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Thank you both for your responses. Another thought just crossed my mind: how would it count in terms of segments, using the originally-quoted routing?

-J.
Segments wasn't a requirement before so that never came up. I would "guess" with much certainty that it will credit as one segment. Ultimately, you are purchasing one direct flight from origin to destination. The difference is that it stops along the way rather than flying non-stop.

Flight AS372 was a direct flight that used to fly SEA-PSP with a stop in SFO. If you flew SEA-SFO you earned EQM on that distance and if you flew SFO-PSP you earned EQM on that distance but if you flew SEA-SFO-PSP, you earned EQM on the non-stop distance SEA-PSP.

In theory, you could earn the 500 EQM minimum and one segment on each flight if you purchased each flight independently, not as a direct flight.

James
Old Jun 1, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
Use AK points to UG on AA tix

Does anyone know -- can I upgrade to FC on AA ticketed paid flights with AS points? Thanks.

Last edited by SoFlaFlyer737; Jun 1, 2023 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 1, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: AK 75K (fFormerly 100K for one year), DL Silver (formerly DM) for 10 years, Delta MM, AA
SEA to PDX by Bus

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Flixbus (Previously named Boltbus). Looks like Portland to Seattle for today is around ~$40 depending on time.

https://www.flixbus.com/boltbus
I know your travel window has passed....But I've been on the Bolt Bus from PDX to SEA. It went from Portland Chinatown to 5th Av near Union Station. Easy ride to Seattle Chinatown on the Light Rail to ID from SEATAC. I have heard the train is a lovely ride.

When I took Bolt Bus about ten years ago, it cost about $15 one way. There also were buses from SEA to Bellingham and Vancouver Chinatown. Bolt was part of Greyhound.

I'm not sure what the current status of bus service is.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is not possible to use AS miles to upgrade partner flights. You could redeem AS miles for an award on AA or BA but not on an itinerary with both AA & BA flights.

James
Originally Posted by SoFlaFlyer737
Does anyone can I upgrade to FC on AA ticketed paid flights with AS points? Thanks.
See the response/advice above that I received to my post with a similar question.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:35 pm

It is not possible to use AS miles to upgrade partner flights. You could redeem AS miles for an award on AA or BA but not on an itinerary with both AA & BA flights. James
[QUOTE]Does anyone can I upgrade to FC on AA ticketed paid flights with AS points? Thanks.[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Brostman
See the response/advice above that I received to my post with a similar question.
Sorry, I don't know what response/advise you are referring to.

Can you use AS Miles to upgrade BA PE fares? No

Can you use AS miles to upgrade AA ticketed Flights? No, with a caveat.

If the AA ticketed flight is an AS Marketed flight and the fare class is eligible for a Miles upgrade, then an upgrade is possible on the AS flight as long as there is U upgrade space availability on the flight.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.