Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ssk244
Thanks. They're saying I need to contact American. This is frustrating because my outbound leg posted correctly (W class so 110%) - makes no sense to me why this one is so messed up.
I just went through a very similar situation but finally got it sorted out. On a two-leg flight my AS number was only credited to the first leg and the second went to AA. I had to initially call into AA to get my AS MP# on the tix so not sure why they'd think that was what I wanted. I'm guessing it was just an oversight by AA. Anyway, I called AS and was told to call AA to have the miles removed from that account (fwiw, calling into AA was a total nightmare - can't believe that's a functioning airline). AS said take screenshots of my AA account before and after the miles were removed, then send that into the AS mileage plan email. Did that and received an email a couple days later saying thanks, miles have been credited... except they weren't. So, I kept replying to the email (with a case#) and was totally ignored. I replied three times with no reply from AS. I finally called in yesterday and the lady on the phone was ultra-apologetic and even gave me some extra miles. She apologized up and down that they ignored my three emails.

The good news - I got a live person on the phone at the AS MP within a couple minutes both times I called.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mtofell
I just went through a very similar situation but finally got it sorted out. On a two-leg flight my AS number was only credited to the first leg and the second went to AA. I had to initially call into AA to get my AS MP# on the tix so not sure why they'd think that was what I wanted. I'm guessing it was just an oversight by AA. Anyway, I called AS and was told to call AA to have the miles removed from that account (fwiw, calling into AA was a total nightmare - can't believe that's a functioning airline). AS said take screenshots of my AA account before and after the miles were removed, then send that into the AS mileage plan email. Did that and received an email a couple days later saying thanks, miles have been credited... except they weren't. So, I kept replying to the email (with a case#) and was totally ignored. I replied three times with no reply from AS. I finally called in yesterday and the lady on the phone was ultra-apologetic and even gave me some extra miles. She apologized up and down that they ignored my three emails.

The good news - I got a live person on the phone at the AS MP within a couple minutes both times I called.
That's great! I also had a good and (prompt) resolution to this. After calling the first time and getting a case number I was told I'd hear back from someone in a few days by email. A few days came and went and nothing happened. I called back maybe a week later to provide the case number and explained the entire situation one more time. The second person I talked to was far more experienced than the first person I talked to and was able to look into the itinerary, see that the fare class was P from the original itinerary and boom, correct EQM was added within 10 minutes. I actually never needed to end up contacting American (thank God).

No idea why the second person was able to see my fare class when the first person wasn't able to see it - but it all worked out. Very thankful for the senior AS CSR folks who are still at the airline and can help with these things.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Award tickets (even AS-issued) dont count towards the min AS-metal segment-requirements for elite qualifying, do they?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Award tickets (even AS-issued) dont count towards the min AS-metal segment-requirements for elite qualifying, do they?
They do not.

James
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
May someone please direct me to thread about requesting compensation after airline fault diversion
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I've tried searching for this question but couldn't find any results more recent than 2014, so I apologize if I missed it...

I added up all my planned travel for the year and it looks like I will be exactly 8 miles short of MVP. I don't anticipate any more trips, so this will likely be the final result.

I've been MVP Gold and MVP the past two years. Any chance they would waive me through for MVP again next year or should I start keeping an eye out for a cheap mileage run? I have one possible change I could make, I have a GEG-SEA-SAT flight (red eye), and could change it to GEG-PDX-SEA-SAT, but the connection in PDX is only 40 mins, and it's the last flight of the day. Feels risky as I cannot miss the red eye flight to SAT.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by billgris
I've tried searching for this question but couldn't find any results more recent than 2014, so I apologize if I missed it...

I added up all my planned travel for the year and it looks like I will be exactly 8 miles short of MVP. I don't anticipate any more trips, so this will likely be the final result.

I've been MVP Gold and MVP the past two years. Any chance they would waive me through for MVP again next year or should I start keeping an eye out for a cheap mileage run? I have one possible change I could make, I have a GEG-SEA-SAT flight (red eye), and could change it to GEG-PDX-SEA-SAT, but the connection in PDX is only 40 mins, and it's the last flight of the day. Feels risky as I cannot miss the red eye flight to SAT.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I would recommend up-faring one of your existing itineraries as it will be less expensive and wouldnt add any new time to your travel, vs a mileage run. That means looking to see if there is a routing where one flight could get a paid first class seat which would add a EQM multiplier on, usually 150% or more. If that price difference is too high, call in as ask for a YBHK fare which earns 125% EQM vs your existing fare which is likely 100%.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JC5280
I would recommend up-faring one of your existing itineraries as it will be less expensive and wouldnt add any new time to your travel, vs a mileage run. That means looking to see if there is a routing where one flight could get a paid first class seat which would add a EQM multiplier on, usually 150% or more. If that price difference is too high, call in as ask for a YBHK fare which earns 125% EQM vs your existing fare which is likely 100%.
Y & B earn a 50% COS Bonus
H & K earn a 25% COS Bonus

In reality though, an upfare to F would likely be cheaper than upfaring Main especially when a lot of F fares are y‐up from fare classes below Main fares that have a COS.

James
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Was looking at an upcoming award ticket, now that I requaled for Gold, to see if I could select PC seats.

Apparently my award fare class doesnt qualify me for free PC seats, but I wonder why I cant even pay for one?

(bit of a rhetorical question since I have exit row and wouldnt pay $13 for PC for a <1 hr flight that likely wont see any bev service)
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K Hilton Diamond
I fly Alaska's SFO to HNL route monthly as a 75K. Usually upgraded to F around T22-18, occasionally T30s. At the 120 hr upgrade window I noticed 7 available F seats with the Blue available upgrade mark on the website. Around 12 hrs later I checked my itinerary and was still wait listed. I called Alaska to inquire about the 120 hr window. Was informed CSA could not do anything about it as upgrades computer generated and that I could use a guest pass upgrade to guarantee an F seat or wait a few more hours for the upgrade. With 7 seats open I told her I'd wait the few hours. I checked a few hours later and the Blue F was no longer available . As F seats were now done to 5, I'm guessing 2 went to guest pass upgrades. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've experienced this the past 2 years. Similar experiences?
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I never realized first class earned bonus qualifying miles. In that case I'm all set, as a few of my legs that I've already purchased are first class.

Thank you for the reply!
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:09 pm

I have a quick question on changing partner awards now that there is new pricing after the latest round of devaluations (apologies if it has already been asked and I have missed it):

I've got a booking on JAL thru Alaska that was booked before the most recent devaluation, and I am wondering if it's possible to move / change flights in the booking without incurring the additional mileage cost of the routing under the new pricing.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Condor Premium

Hello!

I'm seeing "Premium" availability for a Condor flight for 45k. However, this plane doesn't have premium economy. Condor isn't selling tickets for premium, it's only biz or economy on an A332. Expert Flyer reveals there's no PE class on the plane. What do folks think I will actually get if I book this flight?

Thanks so much
Old Apr 21, 2023, 2:17 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Flying with my partner and I checked us both in using the app
Two things - she can't get her boarding pass in her app (the button is greyed out) and they seem to have given her a different boarding group than my own (A) even though we're on the same reservation. Normal?
Thx
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pmfc
Hello!

I'm seeing "Premium" availability for a Condor flight for 45k. However, this plane doesn't have premium economy. Condor isn't selling tickets for premium, it's only biz or economy on an A332. Expert Flyer reveals there's no PE class on the plane. What do folks think I will actually get if I book this flight?

Thanks so much
Did you try booking it? It may be phantom space. I suspect if it does go through, you get stuck in economy, but could be worth the $12.50 to see if it books into business (or if you know you're making a mileage booking, I think an online change saves you from paying the partner booking fee again).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.