Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Seat selection on Economy award on Qatar Airways

Tried on Qatar's app and phone calls earlier. They said it is not allowed to select seats ahead of time. Any way to do it. Sorry if answered earlier, on limited bandwidth and small. phone, so unable to search 🙏
Edit: just checked on Qatar using their pnr provided by Alaska and seeing no free seat selection. They want 20 to 40 dollars per leg on the one way. I remember being able to call and get free seat selection couple years back.

Last edited by FT-hss; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 25, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Already my holding HND-SFO F, want to add stopover SFO-LAX.

What mile redemption SFO -LAX should I be looking for to get the free stopover in SF before I call in?

J preferred but willing to fly T, so interested in both,

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by FT-hss
Tried on Qatar's app and phone calls earlier. They said it is not allowed to select seats ahead of time. Any way to do it. Sorry if answered earlier, on limited bandwidth and small. phone, so unable to search 🙏
Edit: just checked on Qatar using their pnr provided by Alaska and seeing no free seat selection. They want 20 to 40 dollars per leg on the one way. I remember being able to call and get free seat selection couple years back.
I was able to get free seat selection on them on an AS award ticket, though I am MVPG/OWS. I was able to select any seat in Y, including extra legroom and preferred seating. To do so I had to use the QR website or app, but otherwise it was pretty seamless.

-J.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Already my holding HND-SFO F, want to add stopover SFO-LAX.

What mile redemption SFO -LAX should I be looking for to get the free stopover in SF before I call in?

J preferred but willing to fly T, so interested in both,

Thanks in advance.

SFO-LAX is less than 700 miles so T (Y) space is 5000 miles and E space (J) will display at 15000. If you see either of those award levels when you search the flight individually, you can then tack it on as a stopover in SFO.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Hello. Thinking of any cool place in Alaska that i can fly into and then fly out.
havent been to Alaska (and flown Alaska) since the pandemic so my knowledge is rusty. dont know about how the award routing would work intra alaska.
i have a few weeks in LAX and want to do some award deal.

i have been to the following so far ANC FAI BRW Prudhoe Bay, (only walk around the area and nearby area during short layover), Adak (same flight turn around so only walk around the area near the airport), OTZ, OME, JNU.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:36 am

Hi, just recently got alaska personal boa card for 70k miles. To meet the minimum 3000 spend can I buy 8 qty of 200 dollars staples mastercard gift cards to meet 1600/3000 requirement. Do I need to buy anything else at staples to make it count? Would I get clawback? Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:48 am

If you book a RT flight and take the outbound, can you still cancel and get credit for the inbound leg?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by pbd456
Hello. Thinking of any cool place in Alaska that i can fly into and then fly out.
havent been to Alaska (and flown Alaska) since the pandemic so my knowledge is rusty. dont know about how the award routing would work intra alaska.
i have a few weeks in LAX and want to do some award deal.

i have been to the following so far ANC FAI BRW Prudhoe Bay, (only walk around the area and nearby area during short layover), Adak (same flight turn around so only walk around the area near the airport), OTZ, OME, JNU.
kodiak?.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
What fare code do I need to find to attach a positioning flight from LAS to SFO or LAS to LAX on an Alaska Airlines J mileage ticket?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL GM
Originally Posted by tobikosan
What fare code do I need to find to attach a positioning flight from LAS to SFO or LAS to LAX on an Alaska Airlines J mileage ticket?
E for first or T for main.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
My wife and I are flying SFO-IAD next month. She booked her ticket through her company travel department and I through the Alaska site. Is there anyway to add her reservation onto mine since I have the status? I use to do it on United. Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2023, 12:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by olouie
If you book a RT flight and take the outbound, can you still cancel and get credit for the inbound leg?
Definitely.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
My wife and I are flying SFO-IAD next month. She booked her ticket through her company travel department and I through the Alaska site. Is there anyway to add her reservation onto mine since I have the status? I use to do it on United. Thanks

But I dont think this feature does what you really care about (sharing elite benefits). The Link page says:

Linking reservations can help us to know you're not traveling alone.It can help our Reservations agents find the travelers in a separate reservation more quickly when you call.

It does not affect automated seat assignments, upgrades, reaccommodations, or special requests.

Re UA, I didnt know UA allowed you to share elite benefits across reservations, or to merge two separate reservations under one PNR to allow for elite benefits to apply to all travelers. Is that a new thing? They do have some feature similar to what AS offers - basically a comment in the reservation pointing to another to help humans when processing a reservation (IrrOp, ).
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Hi. Are some benefits as a 75k "nullified" if I'm traveling with my family of 4 on the same itinerary? Like loosing the ability to choose premium class seats at time of booking? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

But I dont think this feature does what you really care about (sharing elite benefits). The Link page says:

Re UA, I didnt know UA allowed you to share elite benefits across reservations, or to merge two separate reservations under one PNR to allow for elite benefits to apply to all travelers. Is that a new thing? They do have some feature similar to what AS offers - basically a comment in the reservation pointing to another to help humans when processing a reservation (IrrOp, ).
Thanks much. It does appear you cannot share benefits across two different reservations. But, it is good that Alaska will link our reservations if something should happen since she uses her maiden name. As for UA. As a 1k and she a Platinum, I have always attached our reservations. But, looking at it now, I think she was upgraded at the same time as myself is due to her status and they always seated us together. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.