Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by FincaEstrellita
If I'm an Alaska MVP member flying on a first class Alaska Airlines ticket from BOS-SEA, SEA-FAI, am I allowed into the American Airlines lounge in the Boston airport?
I don't believe so. According to Alaska's lounge policy (bolding mine):

Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* on flights operated by Alaska Airlines only have access to Alaska Lounge locations on their day of flight. Lounge access is not included for family or other guests not traveling in First Class. Entrance into other airline clubrooms is not included with First Class fares or awards.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
No, AS operated flights only count towards the segment requirement for Elite Status qualification if they are revenue flights Marketed & Operated by AS; the flight number must be AS.

James
Thank you!
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Does Alaska allow travelers to charge inflight purchases to the credit card used to buy the original ticket?

I just noticed an unexpected inflight purchase charge on my CSR. I wasn't traveling the day of the transaction, but the online receipt from alaskaair.com shows that it was a flight my DW took the day before that I had booked for her. She didn't have my card with me, and I would actually have preferred if she had used her AS Visa for the 20% discount. But I am also somewhat surprised that Alaska just lets travelers charge the card without me explicitly authorizing it... or did I, when I purchased the ticket?
My guess is that your DW's Alaska account probably has the CSR card as the default card that's used for food pre-orders unless she/you specify another card at the time of the pre-order. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the FAs are able to charge the default card for inflight purchases.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flymonthly
My guess is that your DW's Alaska account probably has the CSR card as the default card that's used for food pre-orders unless she/you specify another card at the time of the pre-order. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the FAs are able to charge the default card for inflight purchases.
It was a liquor purchase, so not a pre-order. And yes, the CSR is in her account (that I manage). I had actually purchased the ticket with her AS Visa to ensure she qualifies for bag and boarding benefits.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:36 pm

I have some wallet credits I got by re-booking my upcoming trip when prices went down. But since I have no definite plans for travel for the rest of the year, I was trying to figure out if there's any good ways of burning it on this upcoming trip.

Alaska seems to be clever and only allow this wallet credit to be used towards "base fares", which I guess would exclude using it on upgrading to premium economy since that's technically a seat reservation fee, or paying for lounge access. The credits aren't enough to pay for first class, maybe I could re-fare and upgrade with miles? They do seem to have opened up U space. Unforttunately I won't have elite status until after this trip concludes. Any options I'm missing?

I also believe that upgraded with miles tickets aren't eligible for lounge access, either?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:12 am

Hi
I am looking to use AS to get 2 QR award tickets.
Searched QR, BA/AA which all shows seats available.
and AS is showing error code when try to book.

Are they no longer support QR?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It does happen time to time, even on flights you are confirmed on if you try to change a seat or have been upgraded.

I have done a SDC before and landed on the "awaiting seats," list but never showed on the upgrade waitlist. At boarding, I was upgraded directly from the awaiting seats list.

James
Interesting. All I ever see is the "see an agent" screen for every single flight option to change to. Though, I have never actually used this functionality, it just seems odd to have to go to a flight search and view to the seat map (which shows seats available) to see what kind of seats are available before making a change. UA makes this a prominent feature so you can see if you are getting the middle seat in the last row before making a SDC. :-)
Old Mar 16, 2023, 6:34 pm

Inexpensive promos for earning 10K MP miles?

What's the least expensive way to earn 10K MP miles without applying for the credit cards, flying, spending on the CC, etc. I'm looking for promos. The only one I saw that may be close is the 5K for the wine club (though I didn't check the price).

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 19, 2023 at 7:27 pm
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:13 pm

i have a international partner award ticket (booked using AS miles) departing LAX, but cannot get the AS domestic leg to LAX on same award , so need to pay cash ticket for this domestic leg.

therefore international (award) and domestic (cash) will be separate tickets.

can someone confirm the following is true or will work?

1) i can check in bags for free at departure airport, without paying the $30/bag fee. AS agent will permit the baggage allowance to LAX and subsequently to final international destination based on international partner flight's rules
2) i cannot have a layover exceeding 12 hours at LAX airport
3) AS agent cannot provide me partner airline boarding pass. i need to get my own beforehand or i need to get it at LAX
Old Mar 17, 2023, 4:15 pm

now that AS has gone dynamic for domestic award ticket, how do you tell which one is "saver seat" flight? i am having trouble determining that
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
"Saver" Business South America to Europe

I'm trying to figure out if I'm finding a good deal or if it could be better. What's the "saver" level for South America to Europe on a partner airline (not connecting in North American)? Or is this one of those pieces of information that dynamic pricing just makes non-transparent.?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm trying to figure out if I'm finding a good deal or if it could be better. What's the "saver" level for South America to Europe on a partner airline (not connecting in North American)? Or is this one of those pieces of information that dynamic pricing just makes non-transparent.?
Currently, your only option for South America to Europe is IB, J 90K miles. Longhaul into MAD and then onward from there. If you are looking for Paris, keep in mind that IB flies to ORY, not CDG.

As the changes progress with AS redemptions, that could change of course. Mileage Plan now realizes that JL flies to AU too.

James
Old Mar 21, 2023, 3:44 pm

I have a 12:20pm SJC-LAX flight in the afternoon operated and booked through AS, followed by a 00:30 flight LAX-HKG operated and booked separately through CX. I arrive at LAX ~4pm, but CX check-in doesn't open until 8:30pm. With the separate itineraries, can AS at SJC through-check my bags on CX to HKG and print me a boarding pass so I can get airside to the lounge, or am I stuck waiting the 4 hours outside?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by Treyzian
I have a 12:20pm SJC-LAX flight in the afternoon operated and booked through AS, followed by a 00:30 flight LAX-HKG operated and booked separately through CX. I arrive at LAX ~4pm, but CX check-in doesn't open until 8:30pm. With the separate itineraries, can AS at SJC through-check my bags on CX to HKG and print me a boarding pass so I can get airside to the lounge, or am I stuck waiting the 4 hours outside?
I had a similar situation, though different connecting airports and airlines. I was flying SAN-SFO on AS and on a separate ticket, SFO-DOH on Qatar. I had to reclaim my bags in SFO and take them to the Qatar check in counter, which I had to wait an hour to open up. There was not a way to through check my bags with AS in SAN since they said it was not possible (I thought it should be) and my online check in did not work on QR, which was a moot point since I had to go to the QR counter in SFO anyway.

This may be a little tricky based on the time in between flights at LAX. The AS agent in SJC can try to tag the bag all the way through, but with that amount of time, AND the fact that it departs on the next calendar day, I would say your odds of success are low there.

If it does work for the agent, the TBIT is connected to Terminals 4-8 by an interior corridor. Without bags to check, you can go right to the TBIT on the inside of security. Its about a 20 minute long walk through underground corridors, but its a unique experience. Getting in to a lounge may be a little tricky without a boarding pass though. You can try to check in online with CX but my guess is the check in won't completely go through because of the documentation check. The lounge staff for the OW lounge do not do this, and they will refer you to the check in counter. That being said, waiting inside of TBIT will be much better than outside with your bags.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:43 pm

Alaska's EQM earning chart indicates that AA flights that are Alaska marketed and have an AS flight number earn according to the Alaska earning chart. Great!

But how do you actually book those flights? For example checking Alaska's schedule, they list 3 acceptable flights between LGA and CLE per week (why only on Tuesdays? Why only these flights? 🤷‍♂️)

But it doesn't seem like they actually will sell them, if we try to look up a routing between those airports on a Tuesday, nothing comes back.

So under what conditions will they actually sell these codeshares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.