Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (2023-2024)

Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Well, today the miracle happened and I (MVP) and spouse (no status) got upgraded into F. Only a short Horizon hop, but still nice to end the long day in semi-comfort.
Whoa! I thought MVPs did not qualify for companion upgrades?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Whoa! I thought MVPs did not qualify for companion upgrades?

Right. But If you look at my original post, I booked the trip while I was still 75K. I was surprised when we showed up on the wait list on our outbound flights, but we never cleared. On the way back we were again on the lists and did clear on one leg.

This begs the question - did we clear with 75K priority? I think based on our position on the waitlist on some of the flights that was the case.

And that begs the next question: if I book a flight as an MVP and later get higher status, will the position on the upgrade list again be based on the original status? Or… will we not even get on the list if the system enforces the “no upgrade for MVP + companion”?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:22 pm

AS allows free change for award tix

but how far out can you push an AS award ticket to? 12 months post original ticket insurance date? or 12 months from flight date ?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I've done multi-city itineraries using companion certificates without a problem. You just have to make sure you put in the companion certificate and select "Multi-city" when booking on the Alaska site. Having said that, I don't know of any site or app that would help you find the cheapest itinerary other than using the calendar (flexible date) function on the AS website and finding the cheapest dates for each leg. It's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to keep the cost under $500 in August unless AS has a pretty big sale.
thanks, yes i did price out one option for $730 with companion pass, just wish there was a way to check all dates for cheapest combination
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flymonthly
I've done multi-city itineraries using companion certificates without a problem. You just have to make sure you put in the companion certificate and select "Multi-city" when booking on the Alaska site. Having said that, I don't know of any site or app that would help you find the cheapest itinerary other than using the calendar (flexible date) function on the AS website and finding the cheapest dates for each leg. It's pretty unlikely that you'll be able to keep the cost under $500 in August unless AS has a pretty big sale.
The Companion Certificate T&Cs specifically state that multiple stopovers are not allowed.

Discount: Valid for one companion fare from $121 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $22 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid fare, published at alaskaair.com. Valid for round-trip or one-way travel in the main cabin. Not valid on First Class fares. Multiple stopovers not allowed. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation Packages, tour or contract fares.

Now having said that, sometimes the "gatekeeper" doesn't pay attention. Can we please leave it at that.

James
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Can I use a companion discount code and book for a family of 3? Would like to get them all on 1 PNR.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
Can I use a companion discount code and book for a family of 3? Would like to get them all on 1 PNR.
No! There needs to be exactly 2 passengers in the PNR to apply a companion certificate.

James
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:52 pm

Mileage Upgrade

I am looking at flights to Hawaii in October using a mileage upgrade to first. The flights I'm looking has no sold first class seats and 4-6 seats sold in coach. But its telling me no mileage upgrades are available. How can this be when there are so few seats sold??
Old Feb 23, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
what are the olds of finding 4 business class ticket to ppt, nan or syd from any US city between 12/26-12/31, is it worth my time looking everyday? I found lax to syd in prem econ, but should I hold out or is it a lost cause? is this even possible? econ is available, but not is a long shot for my wife to agree to econ seats.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
5 hours before departure. System wonít cancel award ticket online. 4 hours hold time

I have an award ticket I canít fly hat departs in 5 hours. I tried to cancel it online. The response was that I have to call Alaska. I tried FB messenger and the response was that I have to call. Iíve been in the air 13 hours having lost the phone call before departing. This is getting frustrating.

I am on hold now but the call could drop over the next few hours. I could go to the Alaska counter at the airport right now if that would help.

Suggestions appreciated for a successful cancellation and redeposit.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I have an award ticket I canít fly hat departs in 5 hours. I tried to cancel it online. The response was that I have to call Alaska. I tried FB messenger and the response was that I have to call. Iíve been in the air 13 hours having lost the phone call before departing. This is getting frustrating.

I am on hold now but the call could drop over the next few hours. I could go to the Alaska counter at the airport right now if that would help.

Suggestions appreciated for a successful cancellation and redeposit.
Send a text message to 82008 with your PNR and request the cancellation. Yesterday, response was about 45 minutes.

James
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:55 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Send a text message to 82008 with your PNR and request the cancellation. Yesterday, response was about 45 minutes.

James
Didnít work.
Due to high volumes we are unable to accept additional chats at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Update: Success in 20 minutes at Alaska ticket counter!

Last edited by nsx; Feb 24, 2023 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Didnít work.
Keep trying, you will get into the queue. I had the same issue yesterday. I waited a couple of minutes, resubmitted, and it went into the queue.

Good luck.

James
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by yuel
what are the olds of finding 4 business class ticket to ppt, nan or syd from any US city between 12/26-12/31, is it worth my time looking everyday? I found lax to syd in prem econ, but should I hold out or is it a lost cause? is this even possible? econ is available, but not is a long shot for my wife to agree to econ seats.
Close to impossible. If J is indeed a prerequisite, I would advise saving up to paying for it
Old Feb 24, 2023, 12:53 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by yuel
You might get lucky. I just flew SYD-LAX in hillbilly first class: 3 economy seats to lie down across in the rearmost rows of a not-full A380. My best 13-hour flight ever.

Last minute availability of 40k coach seats is a clue that the load is light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.