Inflight Service Changes

Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Lesser Evil popcorn was easily my favorite snack option that Alaska offers. Sad to see it go. I actually started buying it (and the other offerings from Lesser Evil) after trying the popcorn on an Alaska flight.

Originally Posted by ijkh
Alaska is discontinuing the one thing they serve that is gluten free. We celiacs do not thank you.
Gluten senstive folks too! Alaska could do a better job serving people with dietary restrictions. They're definitely a bit below the average when it comes to that.
ijkh, anteater and EastCoastAS like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Buffalo Trace :-(
anteater likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
If the Straightaway old fashioned is even 75% as good as the Tip Top ones delta had, Ill be very happy
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Regarding the two new canned cocktails:
  • Straightaway is bottled/canned in Oregon with a tasting room in Portland.
    • Straightaway "Margarita" Ingredients: (25% ABV)Reposado Tequila, Mezcal, Orange Liqueur, Agave Syrup, Habanero and Mango Syrup, Lime Juice, and Sea Salt.
    • Straightaway Old Fashioned Ingredients: (41.5% ABV) Rye Whiskey, House-made Bitters of Filbert & Fir, Simple Syrup.

Other random insight:
  • Woodford and Jack Daniels are owned by the same company, Brown-Forman, and I always thought it generous, albeit redundant, for AS to stock both, given 90% of flyers wouldn't taste/know the difference. Jack Daniels is a significantly more recognizable brand globally, but a majority of American whiskey drinkers prefer Woodford over JD, given its higher proof and official bourbon designation.
  • Buffalo Trace quality is fine, their distillery produces some other incredibly popular Bourbon brands. Personally, in blind tastings, Buffalo Trace has never placed within the top five for me, bested at times by bourbons costing half as much.
  • That said, it could be worse, happy AS is keeping a bourbon offering on board.
  • Cruzan Rum vs Bacardi Rum change is negligible, especially when poured with a mixer. Both rum brands owned by the #1 & #2 largest privately-held spirits conglomerates in the world, Beam-Suntory and Bacardi Limited, respectively.
  • The new Elysian Space Dust IPA is a whopper at 8.2% ABV (versus the outgoing Anchor IPA @ 6.7% ABV).
Cheers!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

mixmastermark is definitely one of the better FT handles.
mixmastermark and Phrozen like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Although I am a fan of Buffalo Trace (even though Woodford is better) and canned cocktails seems like a way to deliver efficiently,

to me, other than the canned cocktails, the changes are not an improvement in value of onboard services.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I initially said I was okay with (and maybe even happy about) the switch to Buffalo Trace. Perhaps it was an effort to convince me it was just as good, but man... I sure did miss it yesterday. Woodford really is a better bourbon. That is probably another reason I'll always book AA over AS now the few times I buy paid F tickets each year (PDB, hot towel, more normal food, Glenlivet, and now better bourbon...)
Old Jan 12, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX;[url=tel:34919332
34919332[/url]]I initially said I was okay with (and maybe even happy about) the switch to Buffalo Trace. Perhaps it was an effort to convince me it was just as good, but man... I sure did miss it yesterday. Woodford really is a better bourbon. That is probably another reason I'll always book AA over AS now the few times I buy paid F tickets each year (PDB, hot towel, more normal food, Glenlivet, and now better bourbon...)
I wonder what the price difference per mini bottle is between the brands given the volume that AS purchases.
pcoll, RAD_PDX and Seattle123 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by anteater
I wonder what the price difference per mini bottle is between the brands given the volume that AS purchases.
probably not a lot per mini, but in the overall cost scheme of inflight F&B catering (i.e., multiplied by several thousand per month), obviously enough to make a difference to the bean-counters

I had BT on a UA flight in early Nov and found it perfectly acceptable; that said, I much prefer some of their other labels ... anteater mentioned Knob Creek which I would heartily second

I'm not one to drink beer on flights, and as much as I like Space Dust I haven't bought any Elysian product since their 2015 acquisition by AB Inbev removed them from the "craft brewery" category
DUT, ACBLtd, mixmastermark and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Good. Now the Whiskey Drinkers have to suffer like us Gin drinkers when they brought the nasty ... Aviation Gin on board. Time to start the booze rebellion!

Also...We need more GF options. Supposedly they are aware of it according to the VP of Catering, but I'll believe it when I see it.
anteater and macmedic like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS
I cant help but think back to the AS live video forum in December.
Promises of improving the onboard experience and delivering better food and beverage options.
Oh well, it was a nice thought
I am slowly learning that I should appreciate what we have with AS, while we have it.
It will go away, perhaps sooner rather than later.
It seems everything I loved about flying AS has been slipping away.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pcoll
It seems everything I loved about flying AS has been slipping away.
Not to get too far off topic, but I feel this all started with the prayer cards.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
I wrote in last year asking for a tequila option. I guess they kind of listened.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Not to get too far off topic, but I feel this all started with the prayer cards.
You are allowed to bring on board and use your own prayer card if you so desire. Not so with booze bottles.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jan 12, 2023 at 8:55 pm Reason: payer -> prayer (typo)
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
Beginning January 18, 2023

Replacements:
  • Woodford Bourbon > Buffalo Trace<snip>
Wife will not be happy about this. Debating whether to tell her now or just wait, let her find out and claim I had no idea!

Regards
anteater likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.