Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by scubadu
I must say, it's a bit strange that people seem to have so much difficulty wrapping their head around this concept...

Regards
Because it's not true? I flew JAL F from HND-SFO today, booked a few days ago. HND-SFO is currently available in F and J on Thursday of this week.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Encountered some married segment logic trying to combine PEK-HND with NRT-SFO, both on JAL. Only showed up when forcing through with multi-city. Could not book an overnight connection with less than 24hr in between. Ended up booking a 2 day stopover. Availability shows on individual segments on AA and BA so the space is real.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:16 am

I wanted to add a leg to TYO to my existing TYO to ORD reservation and was told by the rep that I wouldn't be able to do it at the old price and it would be re-priced at the new award. She suggested it would be better if I just buy the additional leg, is this right or HUCA? I can't try online because my reservation won't show and asks me to call.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by southbeach82
I wanted to add a leg to TYO to my existing TYO to ORD reservation and was told by the rep that I wouldn't be able to do it at the old price and it would be re-priced at the new award. She suggested it would be better if I just buy the additional leg, is this right or HUCA? I can't try online because my reservation won't show and asks me to call.
The rep is correct. You'll have to to the math on what's a better deal, paying the increased price or buying it separately with miles or cash.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The rep is correct. You'll have to to the math on what's a better deal, paying the increased price or buying it separately with miles or cash.
Thank you for confirming! I made the change. 20k to add a J leg vs. 17.5k to buy Y class, I’ll take the first option. Especially since I might want to change dates later if it becomes available, so I’ll have to pay the additional 20k anyways.
Smiley90 likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
What time do the T-14 day awards get released? I’m prepping to hunt for specifically JFK to HND on July 2 (ideally in F)
Old May 31, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
What time do the T-14 day awards get released? I’m prepping to hunt for specifically JFK to HND on July 2 (ideally in F)
I'm curious about this myself...I typically check in the AM (pacific time zone) and usually see multiple J/F options within the T-14 window.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Because it's not true? I flew JAL F from HND-SFO today, booked a few days ago. HND-SFO is currently available in F and J on Thursday of this week.
Flew LAX-HND last week in F on an award booked within 14 days of departure. Load was 4/8.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:38 am

Curious if/when the windows seats that are blocked would be available to reserve on J, if at all? Traveling with a toddler so ideally would like the window pair seats.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
9am Japan Time. I wrote about this last fall.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ssk244
9am Japan Time. I wrote about this last fall.
This is very helpful, thanks!

I remembered seeing your original post but I could not find it again until now because I was looking in the wrong thread (wrong year).
ssk244 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jhou322
Is it just me or did JAL just take out all close in award availability between TYO and US?
There are some J/F awards showing up but over-all the T-14 inventory for June is slim pickings....
ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 8:10 pm

Are you sure the T-14 is still happening? A couple of hours ago it was 9am in Tokyo on Jun 8. In theory JFK-HND on Jun 22 should have opened. It has 5 F seats right now. Nothing is open. Jun 21 has at least 7 F seats on both JFK-HND and JFK-NRT, and if they opened something yesterday, in theory some of it would still be left. They used to let you get almost the last F seat at T-14.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
Are you sure the T-14 is still happening? A couple of hours ago it was 9am in Tokyo on Jun 8. In theory JFK-HND on Jun 22 should have opened. It has 5 F seats right now. Nothing is open. Jun 21 has at least 7 F seats on both JFK-HND and JFK-NRT, and if they opened something yesterday, in theory some of it would still be left. They used to let you get almost the last F seat at T-14.
I don't see any JFK-NRT flights with JAL. Where do you see 7 seats open for JFK-NRT?

I have not seen JAL open any seats T-14 recently. I think they might have stopped.
ItsAnAdam likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 6:07 am

Oops, sorry, JL5 and JL3 are both to HND. I thought they had one of each and didn't look too carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.