Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2023-24)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
When searching for SGN - NRT - BOS for 1/13, I see economy availability. However, when searching as individual segments, SGN-NRT, NRT - BOS, there is J availability. Anyone knows why? I can probably book NRT - BOS J and ask a rep to add on the other portion?
Married Segments. In this case Divorced Segments. JAL is not allowing the two segments to be paired together for one award. You probably will not be able to get Alaska to book one segment and add the other because of this. You can try, but it probably won't work. Qantas and BA are showing one CX J SGN-BOS on 1/15 which I think should be bookable tomorrow via AS if it is still there.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Married Segments. In this case Divorced Segments. JAL is not allowing the two segments to be paired together for one award. You probably will not be able to get Alaska to book one segment and add the other because of this. You can try, but it probably won't work. Qantas and BA are showing one CX J SGN-BOS on 1/15 which I think should be bookable tomorrow via AS if it is still there.
That's a thing? Even though the same exact flights are available in economy? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks! I've actually only been browsing preparing for a 1/19 return and getting my ducks in a row for next week's booking. Appreciate you taking your time and responding.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:06 pm

That's a thing? Even though the same exact flights are available in economy? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks! I've actually only been browsing preparing for a 1/19 return and getting my ducks in a row for next week's booking. Appreciate you taking your time and responding.
Yeah, that is a thing. A JAL thing. JAL is the only program I know of that does divorced segments, and not all segments are restricted, but some are. And, it can change. This might be JAL trying to bring partners in line with its own program. JAL Mileage Bank has an award booking restriction for its program that says, "Itineraries must originate or terminate in Japan". IOW, JAL MB members must use two awards to book SGN-BOS (breaks in Japan).
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:23 am

When searching for SGN - NRT - BOS for 1/13, I see economy availability. However, when searching as individual segments, SGN-NRT, NRT - BOS, there is J availability. Anyone knows why? I can probably book NRT - BOS J and ask a rep to add on the other portion?
Married Segments. In this case Divorced Segments.

Of course, as I explained to another poster last week, there is a way around it. Married segment logic only applies to connections 24 hours or less. If you create a stopover in Japan (more than 24 hours) you can book SGN-NRT-(stopover)-NRT-BOS even if they are not allowed to be married together as a connection (because a stopover is not a connection and the flights are treated as separate in regards to married segment logic). Since Alaska allows a free stopover this is a workaround you can use. You can use the reverse round-trip workaround if necessary for this itinerary by using the multi-city search.

This is actually the best tactic in your situation. Once you have the two flights booked with a stopover, even 1 day (> 24 hours), I suspect you would have a much better chance of changing the date of one of the flights to make a connection. Even if you could not immediately create a connection JAL at some point closer to travel will likely remove the married segment restriction and at that point you would be able to change the date of one of the flights (if there is availability) to make a continuous trip.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Feb 18, 2023 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 18, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I know JL J/F award space predictably opens up close-in....is that typically around T-14 or more like a month out (T-30)?
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I have never flown JL, but now I have an Alaska reservation including a JL segment. But on the JL website while I can enter my Alaska FF#, I can't specify it belongs to Alaska. The dropdown menu lists only JL. So I don't know whether I'm okay or not?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I have never flown JL, but now I have an Alaska reservation including a JL segment. But on the JL website while I can enter my Alaska FF#, I can't specify it belongs to Alaska. The dropdown menu lists only JL. So I don't know whether I'm okay or not?
there is a different PNR for JL - it is usually listed on your confirmation. This is the one you need to use for the JL website
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
there is a different PNR for JL - it is usually listed on your confirmation. This is the one you need to use for the JL website
Yes, that’s the one I’m using.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:48 pm

Trying to book BOS-NRT-BKK in premium economy on March 9th. BA site shows availability on March 9th and many other days in March.

Unfortunately, I can't see these JL flights available for booking on the AS site (since they're premium economy) and reps for some reason can't see them either when I call in.

What am I doing wrong? Does AS have access to different JL inventory than BA? Do I need to HUCA till I get a rep that can search JL PE inventory correctly?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:55 pm

I assume you want to do this to take advantage of your AS status? If the JAL website won't allow you to add it you should probably call JAL to get them to add it.

Some other OW airlines have a workaround by using another partner's website but I do not know if that works for JAL. Calling JAL should definitely work so long as your ticket has been issued (you have a ticket number).
Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:20 pm

Yes, that’s the one I’m using.
Try using Malaysia Airlines website. Log in with your JL code. Should be able to do everything there, including seat selection.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Has anyone had any luck booking JL SEA-NRT?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:07 pm

I assume you want to do this to take advantage of your AS status? If the JAL website won't allow you to add it you should probably call JAL to get them to add it.

Some other OW airlines have a workaround by using another partner's website but I do not know if that works for JAL. Calling JAL should definitely work so long as your ticket has been issued (you have a ticket number).
Originally Posted by ezak
Try using Malaysia Airlines website. Log in with your JL code. Should be able to do everything there, including seat selection.
Much better. It looks like my AS# is really in there, but also two AA#s, one of which is mine and one is not. Same for my wife on a separate reservation, except her own AA# is not there. I think it's because I once called to ask AA to change the FF#s to AS. Unfortunately on Malaysia the FF# edit section is grayed out, so read-only. I'll call JL.
ezak likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:35 pm

Of course, as I explained to another poster last week, there is a way around it. Married segment logic only applies to connections 24 hours or less. If you create a stopover in Japan (more than 24 hours) you can book SGN-NRT-(stopover)-NRT-BOS even if they are not allowed to be married together as a connection (because a stopover is not a connection and the flights are treated as separate in regards to married segment logic). Since Alaska allows a free stopover this is a workaround you can use. You can use the reverse round-trip workaround if necessary for this itinerary by using the multi-city search.

This is actually the best tactic in your situation. Once you have the two flights booked with a stopover, even 1 day (> 24 hours), I suspect you would have a much better chance of changing the date of one of the flights to make a connection. Even if you could not immediately create a connection JAL at some point closer to travel will likely remove the married segment restriction and at that point you would be able to change the date of one of the flights (if there is availability) to make a continuous trip.
The weird thing is the same segments are available to book in December in J (SGN-NRT-BOS). This makes absolutely no sense to me. Appreciate your input.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mster
Trying to book BOS-NRT-BKK in premium economy on March 9th. BA site shows availability on March 9th and many other days in March.

Unfortunately, I can't see these JL flights available for booking on the AS site (since they're premium economy) and reps for some reason can't see them either when I call in.

What am I doing wrong? Does AS have access to different JL inventory than BA? Do I need to HUCA till I get a rep that can search JL PE inventory correctly?
AS doesn’t allow JL PE bookings. Just coach, business and first. Read the wiki.

Originally Posted by 747FC
Has anyone had any luck booking JL SEA-NRT?
Yes. Many people have. I’ll be flying it in a couple of months.
747FC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.