Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2023)

Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by mobilemario
Can you still book Cathay business award Europe-HKG for 42,500 miles?
As of today, yes. Good luck finding award space. There is close to zero out there.
beckoa likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
As of today, yes. Good luck finding award space. There is close to zero out there.
True....I don't even bother searching for CX space anymore.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
It happened, I got an OPUG on a flight booked with miles in Y. Feeling extremely happy about it
beckoa, ssk244 and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL PM,Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Award ticket on CX, how to combine Premium Economy and Business Class

Hi Everyone.

I am new to here. I have been reading the posts for a while, but this is my first post on Alaska Air. Hope getting some help.
I have an award itinerary below:
Myself: booked via AS miles - 35K miles
1/24/2024, LAX 11:25pm — HKG 7:20am+2 on CX 881, Premium Economy
Arrivaling at HKG on 1/26/2024. stopover 2 days
1/28/2024, HKG 10:00am — DPS 3:00pm on CX 785 , Economy

Parents: : booked via AA miles - 22.5K miles each (2 tickets)
1/28/2024, HKG 10:00am — DPS 3:00pm on CX 785 , Business

As I checked the HKG-DPS leg, CX actually had 4 business seats avaliable. It's an A330 aircraft with fully lie flat seats, so I want to book it. 2 seats for parents booked via AA has no problem. AA website shows 2 seats left in business after that.
For myself, I checked the leg HKG-DPS on AS, it shows business avaliable, but when I try to combine the LAX-HKG leg with HKG-DPS, it doesn't show me the business seats. Only Economy + Economy for 30K or Premium Economy + Economy for 35K (which I booked already). I tried to changed the 2nd leg after ticketed, the AS website not showing the business avaliable. Called AS agent, being told she cannot do that as well. What I can see on AS website is same as she can see. Sad.

My gold is simply getting the 2nd leg in business, so I can get in the CX lounge in HKG with parents. My understanding is I should able to get it for 50K miles (Premium Economy + Business), technically?
I don't think I will have One World Sapphire status at the time of travel. I only fly DL to earn status. I have DL platinum.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Frank_Mao; Mar 25, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:01 am

Adding my guess here:

Due to the main itinerary is the transpacific. So If LAX-HKG is on Premium Economy, HKG-DPS can only be avaliable for Premium Economy (Not equipped for A330 ) or Economy.
If I can get LAX-HKG on Business, then HKG-DPS system will shows Business avaliable?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:45 am

I have a PVG-HKG-YYZ flight on CX J in Nov that I'm hoping I can eventually push out to mid-2024...

Which cities are most likely to have CX J seats come up for ex-HK flight: JFK/ORD/BOS? right now when I look end of calendar early 2024, flights to YYZ are non-existent in any class. JFK/ORD/BOS seems to at least have some Y seats. prefer a city in the east instead of west coast as it will be a shorter connecting flight back to YYZ.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:38 pm

I would suggest you keeping an eye on the HKG-LAX route. There are some F awards available. I dont think is any J at this moment but I am pretty sure I used to see some J 2-3 weeks ago. These days, even W can be difficult to find with CX.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:39 pm

shootaaa can you provide any dates where hkg lax you see or vice Versa is available in F? I just want to try the product and cant find a single seat (ideally august or October but would probably make anything work , or even usa to Australia via hkg ideal or Vice Versa or Europe to Asia or Asia to Europe ok too. Only interested in F. Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I am having the exact same problem with one of my itineraries:
  1. LAX-HKG in Premium Economy, connecting to
  2. HKG-CGK in Economy, but AS site shows Business available
I've tried changing the flight online in many different ways, but nothing I try gives me the same HKG-CGK segment in Business.

Did you happen to find any solution?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
I am having the exact same problem with one of my itineraries:
  1. LAX-HKG in Premium Economy, connecting to
  2. HKG-CGK in Economy, but AS site shows Business available
I've tried changing the flight online in many different ways, but nothing I try gives me the same HKG-CGK segment in Business.

Did you happen to find any solution?
Nope, I still suck at economy on 2nd leg.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:39 am
Community Director Emerita

I have LAX-HKG booked on CX in biz using AS miles. I have the CX PNR. However, when I go to the CX website, I can't find a way to look at my booking. Who can guide me thru what to do?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have LAX-HKG booked on CX in biz using AS miles. I have the CX PNR. However, when I go to the CX website, I can't find a way to look at my booking. Who can guide me thru what to do?
"Manage booking" is what you're looking for.

Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by danger
"Manage booking" is what you're looking for.
I would think that, but I can't find the page you highlight. When I search for "Manage booking" I get to this page. It either requires me to have a Cathay account or it flips endlessly between asking for my email or asking for my phone number. What url did you find?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/mb/#/en_US/login
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I would think that, but I can't find the page you highlight. When I search for "Manage booking" I get to this page. It either requires me to have a Cathay account or it flips endlessly between asking for my email or asking for my phone number. What url did you find?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/mb/#/en_US/login
It's more difficult than it should be but at that URL, look for "or find a booking as a guest". You'll then only need your name and PNR.

Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:02 am

Sadly, I've wasted half an hour on that and it doesn't work. It keeps flipping from email to phone number, not allowing me to enter either. I've also tried calling AS (no joy) and using the Cathay WhatsApp bot (no joy, told me to call the agency who booked it).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.