Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Make changes yourself online after Alaska schedule changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist

I've never seen this before:
  • Your reservation was previously affected by a schedule change, so we recommend reviewing your trip below. If your new itinerary does not meet your needs, click Change to review alternate flights available at no additional cost. To cancel this itinerary at no additional cost, click Cancel to review refund options.
Clicking through leads to a clear explanation of what's allowed, +/- 1 day and co-terminals. And it seems to work. I'm very excited to be able to do this myself rather than call/text AS.

Your reservation was previously affected by a schedule change. If your new itinerary does not meet your needs, you can make a one-time change to your reservation at no additional cost, within these guidelines:
  1. Travel is on the same dates as originally booked (or one day before and after).
  2. Travel is between the same departure and arrival city, or nearby airports.
    Cities with nearby airports:
    • Seattle (SEA/PAE)
    • Los Angeles area (LAX/BUR/ONT/SNA)
    • New York City area (JFK/LGA/EWR)
    • Dallas (DFW/DAL)
    • Bay Area (SFO/SJC/OAK)
    • D.C. area (BWI/DCA/IAD)
    • Palm Springs (PSP/ONT)
  3. New flights must be in the same cabin (e.g. Main Cabin) as the original reservation. Charges may apply for additional changes.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if this is actually implemented in a way that consistently* works as described, it will be a massive improvement

*- for **BOTH** routine schedule changes a couple months out **AND** day-of/day-before IROPS situations — long-duration weather events excepted, but one can certainly hope

it would be helpful to include SAN as an alternative to SNA (though maybe not the rest of the LA area)

it would be helpful to include MIA/FLL, and possibly MCO/TPA

it would be helpful to include PHL as an alternative for NYC and WAS

(I’ve had success in switching among all of these in response to published schedule changes three to six months out, but obviously those involved calling in)
jiburi likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 29, 2022 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Noticed this capability for a while now. It’s quite convenient when offered.
Erasmus, beckoa and ijkh like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
For schedule changes far out this has worked consistently for me, as long as the change is by more than an hour
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Unfortunately, when you get cancellations they lock your trip and force you to call in or see an agent, both of which cause unnecessary hours of wasted time. I am still getting future schedule changes of 10 min that force you to call in which is ridiculous. Hopefully AS will learn from what is happening over at SWA and invest in infrastructure.
PanAmSam and Speedbird84 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
I have indeed noticed that for my trips which contain an AA leg, I have to call in to confirm even for a one minute change which is incredibly annoying.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
it would be helpful to include SAN as an alternative to SNA (though maybe not the rest of the LA area)
That makes sense, but I'm curious if there are any other airports that are coterminals with two airports that aren't also coterminals with each other?

UA used to (and probably still does) treat SAN as coterm with LAX. I used to do LAX-DTW-SAN annually on awards that weren't supposed to allow open-jaw. At least once I had to talk to a phone agent who had to check with a supervisor who then confirmed it. Unless traffic is bad, SAN is well within the driving range (time-wise) of people who primarily fly out of LAX. So it wouldn't be irrational for AS to treat SAN as part of the LAX coterminal family - I don't think they offer any flights between any of the pairs.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
As the bird flies which is closer SAN-LAX or PDX-SEA?
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
As the bird flies which is closer SAN-LAX or PDX-SEA?
SAN-LAX is 109
PDX-SEA is 129
Old Dec 29, 2022, 3:11 pm

Welcome news if so, it doesn't seem to take much to cause Alaska's website to give up and tell you to call in. One of mine still says "This reservation is not eligible for online changes.". I don't actually need to change it so I don't plan on calling in, since the system eventually auto-rebooked me on a good flight (it took a couple weeks for it to do that though). I was originally scheduled BOI-SFO-MCO, with something like a 1 hr layover, but some small schedule changes made that connection no longer possible. Eventually the system put me on a similarly timed BOI-SEA-MCO routing which I'm happy with. But even though it found a good flight for me, any changes beyond seat changes are locked out online.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not to hijack the thread, but in implementing this they apparently broke login persistence

I've been booking a few SEA<>WAS trips for 1Q23; every time I've logged into the front page of the website (Chrome, Dell laptop) the system has asked me to log in again on the "Checkout" screen, and again when applying a GGU (also had a couple reoccurrences of having to log in again when cancelling a ticket for My Wallet credit, but that's been a problem for a year or so)

update -- everything worked normally on an HP laptop using Edge

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 29, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
not to hijack the thread, but in implementing this they apparently broke login persistence

I've been booking a few SEA<>WAS trips for 1Q23; every time I've logged into the front page of the website (Chrome, Dell laptop) the system has asked me to log in again on the "Checkout" screen, and again when applying a GGU (also had a couple reoccurrences of having to log in again when cancelling a ticket for My Wallet credit, but that's been a problem for a year or so)

update -- everything worked normally on an HP laptop using Edge
I think I've always had to log in again to cancel to my wallet - it sticks the extra login in the middle of the page and always seemed like a way to reduce accidental cancellations.
econ and anteater like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Unfortunately, when you get cancellations they lock your trip and force you to call in or see an agent, both of which cause unnecessary hours of wasted time. I am still getting future schedule changes of 10 min that force you to call in which is ridiculous. Hopefully AS will learn from what is happening over at SWA and invest in infrastructure.
Same things happen to me as well. Have always had to call in as they were locked.

Would love to see ORD be able to use MKE and vice versa as reasonable alternatives that work on line without a call.

When I call in due to cancellations to or from MKE for ORD as alternative it requires a supervisor approve. Once a CS person refused to escalate to a supervisor and “suggest if it’s that important for you to travel to milwaukee tomorrow then you should just buy the ticket”. Which I did on delta with a connector through Minneapolis for $650 aisle seat that got me into MkE instead of paying the $749 last minute fair to sit in middle seat to ORD then need to take shuttle, train or rental car to get to MKE.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Alaska has a rule that allows you to rebook to a city within 200 miles of your origin/destination. So most of Florida is covered.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Alaska has a rule that allows you to rebook to a city within 200 miles of your origin/destination. So most of Florida is covered.
Where is this rule published for public view? Would like to have this in my tool box to remind future CS agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.