SEA-Hawaii flight diversions

Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
SEA-Hawaii flight diversions

Noticing multiple flight diversions from SEA to Hawaii today that are stopping in the bay area--am I correct in thinking these are fuel stops due to unusually strong headwinds this time of year? I'm taking SEA-LIH later this month and noticed both LIH flights today diverted so just wanted to set my expectations accordingly as it will make a long flight quite a bit longer, especially if you're not allowed to deplane at the fuel stop.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:32 am

OAK is usually where they go for a tech (fuel) stop from my recollection.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jashah
OAK is usually where they go for a tech (fuel) stop from my recollection.
That makes sense. The three closest airports on the west coast to HNL are, in order, SFO, OAK & SJC. All three Bay Area airports are closer to HNL than they are to JFK.

James
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:21 pm

Do you get the extra EQM's?
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trektheusa
That would be amazing but I assume the flight number stays the same so that's probably why there are no additional miles for turning a 6 hour flight into an 8-9 hour flight. Perhaps the 2-3 hour flight delay may be enough to trigger some sort of automatic customer service compensation.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Boeing should offer their “proudly all Boeing” customers mid-air refueling services for their 737s out of SEA. Maybe they could use new test flights of KC-46 coming off the production line.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 7:33 pm
O62

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That makes sense. The three closest airports on the west coast to HNL are, in order, SFO, OAK & SJC. All three Bay Area airports are closer to HNL than they are to JFK.

James
While the shortest route between two commercial airports is SFO-ITO, #2 goes to MRY-ITO, which is obvious reason for Alaska to offer direct MRY-ITO service. It's a profitable untapped market I tell ya (I wish!)
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by O62
While the shortest route between two commercial airports is SFO-ITO, #2 goes to MRY-ITO, which is obvious reason for Alaska to offer direct MRY-ITO service. It's a profitable untapped market I tell ya (I wish!)
Both show an identical 2,318 miles on Great Circle Mapper!
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by trektheusa
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That would be amazing but I assume the flight number stays the same so that's probably why there are no additional miles for turning a 6 hour flight into an 8-9 hour flight. Perhaps the 2-3 hour flight delay may be enough to trigger some sort of automatic customer service compensation.
Actually you do get the miles for the flown itinerary instead of the direct.
Flew JFK to SFO 2 weeks ago where flight was diverted to SLC for medical emergency. No compensation, but we got TWO extra miles for the mileage difference. LOL

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:28 pm

I think in the old days, when you took multiple legs with the same flight number, most airlines credited you as if it were just one flight. It's cool that AS gave you those extra 2 miles.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think that was a one-off exception
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jrl767
I think that was a one-off exception
Actually, a two-off exception.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do they usually let you know before boarding that you'll be diverting to CA for a fuel stop?
Old Dec 24, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More Hawaii fuel stops from SEA today....looks like SEA-LIH is going to SFO instead of OAK....Too bad you can't spend the delay in the Alaska Lounge
Old Dec 25, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Do they usually let you know before boarding that you'll be diverting to CA for a fuel stop?
Sadly, that very rarely seems to be the case. It's only after everyone is on board and the pilot gets all the numbers and talks to dispatch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.