Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Get On the Fast Track to Elite Status - 2023 Fast Track Promo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get On the Fast Track to Elite Status - 2023 Fast Track Promo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Hmm. I was ok with dropping back to MVPG next year, but have enough travel in Q1 that it may be worthwhile to push back to 75k with this promo. Fortunately I don’t have to decide today.
You and me both! With some reallocation of a Q2 trip to Q1 and a little rerouting, I should be able to just squeak by the 75K threshold pretty cheaply.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Yeah, for me it's a matter of doing something like adding a quick visit with the Chicago nephew and family to get 75K for next year and be most of the way to MVPG for 2024 by midyear. More flying than I really want to do on top of ~ weekly interisland travel, but the value is there.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Andyman61
I'm curious how many AS flyers actually fly 100K on Alaska. It's an incredible amount of miles for that airline and it's likely most 100K's are using OneWorld flights on American, etc. but who knows. 75K was a lot of work to attain- and prior to OneWorld- miles flown on partner airlines weren't eligible for elite status. One could actually say Alaska has watered down 100K as well by allowing intercontinental flights on other airlines to count toward elite status as a 100K.
There is 0% truth in your statement.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Don’t think that’s correct.
You are correct!

Prior to oneworld, there were three thresholds. AS only EQM, AS+Partner EQM & segments. You earned status by meeting any one of those thresholds. 20K, 25K & 30 segments for MVP; 40K, 50K & 60 segments for MVPG & 75K, 90K & 90 segments for MVPG75K. There was no AS segment requirement and AS Elite status could be attained without ever flying AS. Mileage Plan became a RDM bank based on distance, class of service bonus and Elite status ensured a 125% RDM Elite Bonus for 75Ks outside North America. With Elite status, they could purchase unlimited AS miles; perfect for brokering awards. The introduction of the segment requirement stifled a lot of that. Along with that, the AS+Partner thresholds were dissolved.

In the on again, off again AS & AA relationship that looked like a total divorce in 2020, earning EQM on AA flights was International only; domestic flights didn't earn in Mileage Plan. All other partners earned towards Elite Status.

I always earned 75K via 90K AS+Partner flights but typically ended the year at around 125K. The 24 segments required for 100K can be a challenge, especially with the inflated AS fares right now. Otherwise, accruing EQM on partners is pretty lucrative with the cheap sell-up fares AA seems to have a plethora of, even selling BA marketed flights on their own metal. I will have 75K EQM on March 13th, 2023 2 days later than this year but won't earn 75K status & benefits with only 9 AS Marketed & Operated segments, 3 sold by AA, currently on the books.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 21, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mtofell
It makes no sense to me why McDonalds would give me perks for eating at Burger King but the airline industry is complex and over my head.
Alliance partners rarely compete against one another; better analogy was when McDonalds held a controlling interest in Chipotle, but ended up selling its 90% interest due to the differences in the businesses, distraction from their primary responsibilities https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...hipotle-2015-5
mtofell likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
This is great for me. I am MVPG and will drop to MVP on the 1st. I already had 5 CMH-SEA segments at 2017 miles each scheduled in Jan and Feb. All already GGUed for me. So I'll fly those and get 4 more free GGUs out of the deal. The Gold itself is not important to me as I'm already AA EXP.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Talked with MP Customer Care. They were, as always, super nice & read me the internal T&Cs.

1) They are sending a targeted email on Jan 11, 2022 that will have probably registration process of some sort (she thought). She thought "targeted" was just people who dropped in elite status on Jan 1 2023.

2) She read me a specific T&C note that said "Customers who were 100K as of Jan 2022 who don't re-qualify for 100k and drop to MVPG or lower, will be eligible to re-qualify for up to 75k but not 100k" which is completely fair and makes me happy as a non-re-qualifying soon to be former 100k.

Good news for me!

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Dec 21, 2022 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:53 pm

I'm curious how many AS flyers actually fly 100K on Alaska. It's an incredible amount of miles for that airline and it's likely most 100K's are using OneWorld flights on American, etc. but who knows. 75K was a lot of work to attain- and prior to OneWorld- miles flown on partner airlines weren't eligible for elite status.
Not true. 75K with partners required 90K eqms.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I'm curious how many AS flyers actually fly 100K on Alaska. It's an incredible amount of miles for that airline and it's likely most 100K's are using OneWorld flights on American, etc. but who knows. 75K was a lot of work to attain- and prior to OneWorld- miles flown on partner airlines weren't eligible for elite status. One could actually say Alaska has watered down 100K as well by allowing intercontinental flights on other airlines to count toward elite status as a 100K.
100K on AS metal regularly. 75K during 2020 due to COVID and not needing to travel as much. Typically only about 15K additionally on one world partners travel to Europe.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
If spouse and kid currently have MVPG but only flew 20K this year to reach MVP organically do they only need to fly 10K during this window to keep MVPG? Or do they need to fly 20K to keep MVPG since they only flew a little over 20K in 2022?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Xrayman
If spouse and kid currently have MVPG but only flew 20K this year to reach MVP organically do they only need to fly 10K during this window to keep MVPG? Or do they need to fly 20K to keep MVPG since they only flew a little over 20K in 2022?
The promotion summary is:

Originally Posted by Alaska Airlines
If you held MVP, MVP Gold, or MVP Gold 75K status as of January 1, 2022 but don’t requalify by year-end 2022, you’ll have a chance to earn back your status in early 2023.

So, in your use-case it would seem they only need to fly 10K base miles to retain MVPG (assuming it wasn't a status match / challenge).

Link:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...ID:MileagePlan
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Not true. 75K with partners required 90K eqms.
And it wasn't that hard. I met it my first full year flying mostly CX and JL in discount J.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Wish I had waited, bought the remaining 2000 EQM yesterday AM to keep MVPG for another year.

When can I expect to receive my additional GGU’s?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mtofell
. It makes no sense to me why McDonalds would give me perks for eating at Burger King but the airline industry is complex and over my head.
Ah, but in the analogy, Burger King is paying McDonald's when you eat at Burger King.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:43 pm

Wait... I'm confused. The promo only has a book now button.

I already have 2 booked flights that will satisfy the requirement. How do I signup?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, DL Silver, ex-Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
Wait... I'm confused. The promo only has a book now button.

I already have 2 booked flights that will satisfy the requirement. How do I signup?
There's no way to sign up right now, but come mid-January, there likely will be a way to sign up. We'll have to wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.