Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Rumored Dec 5th Award Chart Devaluations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumored Dec 5th Award Chart Devaluations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:53 pm

Well here come the 500k+ one way redemptions just like AA has, airlines can’t help but move to the 1cpm thinking.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Silver, Best Western Diamond, Booking.com Genius Level 3, WN Companion Pass, NK Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's one heck of a conspiracy theory.
It's not mine but I thought the same.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Silver, Best Western Diamond, Booking.com Genius Level 3, WN Companion Pass, NK Gold
Originally Posted by ft543
For what it's worth I don't think the intention is to devalue in December.

If we look at their notice, it seems like they're trying to clarify things for members who are less engaged. Honestly the charts are kind of all over the place, and I would guess most members care about pricing to a region, not pricing for a specific carrier. Hopefully they don't hide award levels for specific carriers though, that would definitely be a step backwards.

This portion is a little more alarming, but is already the case today (Qatar, Condor, Icelandair, Aer Lingus's 280k J award etc.). It does suggest that Alaska's future partners might continue this trend which would be unfortunate.

edit: I did just notice JAL and TN went to "starting at" which sucks and I wish they would be more transparent on what that really means
I appreciate your insight in these matters, thank you.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by olouie
Well here come the 500k+ one way redemptions just like AA has, airlines can’t help but move to the 1cpm thinking.
AA doesn't have 500k+ partner redemptions. Partner redemptions are fixed value and require saver inventory for now.

AS and the partner offering extra inventory on top of saver is a "meh" unless AS and the partner collude to remove saver (and frankly that's 100% the partner's decision on the longhaul segment, AS isn't amazingly generous on their own segments, though SFO/LAX/PDX are usually OK-ish).

AS's own award inventory is pretty close to DL's in terms of mapping mileage price to cash price, with some occasional places to recoup value.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:45 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ft543
For what it's worth I don't think the intention is to devalue in December.
I've been down this road too many times to share your optimism. Hopefully you are correct and I can rebook some of my 2023 awards but I have run down my balance to under 1k as I fully expect the current sweet spots to disappear with little notice. They have already said that changes will happen in Dec, and devals are usually mixed in with some other change in an effort to spin it as an 'enhancement'
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's one heck of a conspiracy theory.
Not really, that's how things used to roll at Continental - Thursday was "hey look at this amazing new benefit/product/service/enhancement" followed on Friday with "due to ongoing challenges in the industry, we're going to screw you now with this change".

Given how AS has been behaving lately from some of the posts I've read, I wouldn't put it past them to give you a shiny nickel then slap you upside the head in return.
Seattlenerd, am1108 and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.