Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Complimentary Upgrades on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

It seems like, generally, upgrades are not very frequent and mainly happen on regional flights. I kind of find this surprising though considering that 75Ks and 100Ks are prioritized after Platinum Pros and ahead of Platinums.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I agree...the AA Twitter team seems like they can handle just about anything....this is one area where AS is lacking to be honest.
Twiiter has been a disaster for me. 90 minutes response was an anomoly, the last three times before that were 6-9 hours. Now I just call & talk to the Executive Platinum desk. Much faster.

James
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Extraordinary1
It seems like, generally, upgrades are not very frequent and mainly happen on regional flights. I kind of find this surprising though considering that 75Ks and 100Ks are prioritized after Platinum Pros and ahead of Platinums.
My upgrades last year were about 75%. My last one, with a companion, was A321 PHX-LAX Christmas Eve. I have been upgraded on A321T LAX-JFK, 772 OGG-PHX, 77W LAX to/from MIA multiple times, 789 MIA-PHL A321 CMH-DFW, A321S DFW-SEA, 77W JFK-MIA, a proactive PNR split to upgrade one with a companion, battlefield upgrade A319 LAX-YVR and 1 op-up MIA-LAX.

James
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm a newly reminted 75k and SDC to ORD-DCA today about 75 minutes before the flight (made it from an international arrival to airside for a 95 minute connection with time for breakfast in the flagship lounge).

At the time of SDC and boarding the wait-list showed 3 available first class seats and I was #1. When I went to board I was still #1 with 3 seats remaining but was told first class was full. On AS I would suspect shenanigans and upgrading off the waitlist, but does the AA number of available seats by class have a counting issue in the app?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by WarringDanimal
I'm a newly reminted 75k and SDC to ORD-DCA today about 75 minutes before the flight (made it from an international arrival to airside for a 95 minute connection with time for breakfast in the flagship lounge).

At the time of SDC and boarding the wait-list showed 3 available first class seats and I was #1. When I went to board I was still #1 with 3 seats remaining but was told first class was full. On AS I would suspect shenanigans and upgrading off the waitlist, but does the AA number of available seats by class have a counting issue in the app?
On AS it would be extremely rare to be #1 with 3 seats showing open on the app and me not asking at the gate who is sitting in those seats if they're not assigned on the app...why didn't you do the same at AA?

I've experienced far more shenanigans at AA than I ever have at AS, just look at all the threads over the years on the AA forum.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Recently I was demoted to MVP Gold. Flying on AA from PHX-SEA I was floored when I saw myself in #1 on 1/13 (must of been Friday the 13th). AA finally cleared the UG list at 5 mins before boarding, I gladly took the new seat.

I later read that AS/AA quietly revised their agreement adding MVP Gs to the upgrade list. Hey I'm 1/1 this year on AA UGs.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
I have had very good success with AA upgrades.. My AA flights are typically SFO to DFW or ORD. I don’t keep track but it’s probably at the 70% mark… Not bad.. I feel i am about 90% on Alaska so between the 2 airlines i average 8 out of 10.. I think the alliance has a chance to continue get stronger. If the reciprocal benefits continue to improve (ie more system wide upgrades for us, more gold guest upgrades for AA members), they have a chance to create a real competitive moat of a domestic partnership.. If they tie Jet blue reciprocal benefits/mileage earning into this, look out United/Delta.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
How about international routes? I'm suspecting no chance.... does AA do paid upgrades at the desk like BA does? Flying LHR-SEA in coach and feeling sorry for myself....
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Originally Posted by QT31415
How about international routes? I'm suspecting no chance.... does AA do paid upgrades at the desk like BA does? Flying LHR-SEA in coach and feeling sorry for myself....
Our domestic carriers mostly follow same policy as international counterparts. No upgrades for status, (there might be one-offs, but nothing published). You will have the ability to buy an upgraded seat almost immediately after booking the cabin you're in all the way to check in if there are still available on AA and all domestic carriers for an international flight.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BarryL
Recently I was demoted to MVP Gold. Flying on AA from PHX-SEA I was floored when I saw myself in #1 on 1/13 (must of been Friday the 13th). AA finally cleared the UG list at 5 mins before boarding, I gladly took the new seat.

I later read that AS/AA quietly revised their agreement adding MVP Gs to the upgrade list. Hey I'm 1/1 this year on AA UGs.
Congratulations on the upgrade....did you book the flight back in 2022 when you were still a 75K? If so, that may have affected your placement on the upgrade list
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Looks like MVP Gold and lower is getting downgraded on the timeframe to upgrade.

AS and AA Upgrade Changes
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Looks like MVP Gold and lower is getting downgraded on the timeframe to upgrade.

I don't think this will have much of an effect on MVP Gold upgrades though because while the upgrade window is being pushed back nobody is being inserted ahead of them on the wait-list. MVPs are going to be the ones affected by this change because they will be placed behind AA Platinums.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jsguyrus

After reading the Alaska website…are we sure that this is a new policy for Alaska Airlines upgrades and not a policy change for Alaska elites being upgraded on American flights?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
TPG site claims 48hr upgrade window for MVPG and 24hr upgrade window for MVP, but links to AS upgrade policy on AS flights, which still says 72hr upgrade window for MVPG and 48hr upgrade window for MVP. If you click on the AS upgrade policy on AA flights link at the bottom, at the bottom of that reference it says 48hr for MVPG and 24hr for MVP, so this seems to be more about AA flights than AS flights.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Got upgraded on JAC-DFW about 20 hours out. #8 out of 14 on DFW-MCO. I am MVPG 75K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.