Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA upgrade codes - international success?

Old Nov 24, 22, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Any success stories, or tips to share on using the MVP Gold 100K upgrade code for AA for international travel? (I have 2 codes but would take spouse, so looking for using them in either direction). I'm in Southeast Alaska, so would likely connect in Seattle or west coast. No destination preference - Asia and New Zealand are on the bucket list. One month to go before the upgrade codes expire - suggestions greatly appreciated......thanks!
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
You just gotta hunt on AA.com and find a flight that has C fare space. Apparently you can't even use ExpertFlyer as there are two kinds of C space, and EF doesn't differentiate. Just to make it more fun.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
You just gotta hunt on AA.com and find a flight that has C fare space. Apparently you can't even use ExpertFlyer as there are two kinds of C space, and EF doesn't differentiate. Just to make it more fun.
I used Expert Flyer and was able to find the only C space available from Seattle to London. Booked and upgrade confirmed for March next year
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:31 pm

How do you find C space on Aa.com? It worked when I had SWUs in my AA account but doesnt show me any upgrade space anymore.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
How do you find C space on Aa.com? It worked when I had SWUs in my AA account but doesnt show me any upgrade space anymore.
I think Expert Flyer is your only option.
Old Nov 24, 22, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKpirate View Post
Any success stories, or tips to share on using the MVP Gold 100K upgrade code for AA for international travel? (I have 2 codes but would take spouse, so looking for using them in either direction). I'm in Southeast Alaska, so would likely connect in Seattle or west coast. No destination preference - Asia and New Zealand are on the bucket list. One month to go before the upgrade codes expire - suggestions greatly appreciated......thanks!
And remember, if you can't find anything on long haul international flights, you can always attach them to domestic routes with available C space. I do wonder if you confirm an expiring SWU now to keep it from going away and then move the SWU to another flight after the expiration date.
Old Nov 24, 22, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKpirate View Post
Does the code have to be used before expiry or just apply to use?
Wikipedia (so may not be up to date)--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations
Asia = Japan & China
AA fly LAX-AKL, but high loads USA<---->AU-NZ and overall capacity (all airlines in total) reduced compared to pre CV19. Awards/upgrades are hard and have dedicated AA forum threads. 2 on the same flight will 4 times as hard.
Old Nov 24, 22, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

It says to book and confirm upgrade before December 31 (I won't be 100K next year if that matters).....I appreciate the tips - although the AA.com website is not easy to navigate (I haven't bought a flight for the last 25 years anywhere but alaska's website).

Does the code have to be used before expiry or just apply to use?

Wikipedia (so may not be up to date)--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations
Asia = Japan & China
AA fly LAX-AKL, but high loads USA<---->AU-NZ and overall capacity (all airlines in total) reduced compared to pre CV19. Awards/upgrades are hard and have dedicated AA forum threads. 2 on the same flight will 4 times as hard.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 24, 22, 5:38 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

ExpertFlyer does differentiate. The Award & Upgrade search shows the upgrade C, and the Flight Availability search shows the revenue C. We note this at the top of the page when you do an AA Award & Upgrade search.

Search this Thread