Airlines and Mileage Programs

Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan

$$$ Prices on AS vs Everyone Else

Old Nov 23, 22, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K MVP, Former United Premier 1K / American EXP

This is probably because I'm not based out of west coast, but flying AS can be very spendy sometimes. I'm just heading to NYC next month and these are the prices I'm seeing:

But then again it's not just NYC, it's practically everywhere. This is heading to LAX.

Looks like I'm better off flying American or something to any city and if doing a mileage run, base everything from a hub like SEA or SFO.
Old Nov 23, 22, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by HungryNomad View Post
This is probably because I'm not based out of west coast
100%. AS does not want IAH-SEA-XXX connecting traffic that doesn't represent a logical connection, really, and doesn't price for it to happen. They are very, very happy doing point to point from SEA/PDX/CA and some logical connecting traffic from the PNW/CA. They're not interested in turning their IAH flights into loss leaders for cheap connecting traffic.

You really don't want to fill planes with $99 IAH-SEA-LAX-BOI-PDX-SAN-SFO-EWR traffic if you're AS unless you've done something terribly wrong at demand forecasting and you're desperate for passengers.
tobikosan and HungryNomad like this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
AS planes are full. They don't need, nor want, some underpriced flakey connection to build miles and status from Houston to Seattle to New York, So they are likely charging you to go west and then east.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
100%. AS does not want IAH-SEA-XXX connecting traffic that doesn't represent a logical connection, really, and doesn't price for it to happen. They are very, very happy doing point to point from SEA/PDX/CA and some logical connecting traffic from the PNW/CA. They're not interested in turning their IAH flights into loss leaders for cheap connecting traffic.

You really don't want to fill planes with $99 IAH-SEA-LAX-BOI-PDX-SAN-SFO-EWR traffic if you're AS unless you've done something terribly wrong at demand forecasting and you're desperate for passengers.
HungryNomad likes this.
Old Nov 24, 22, 1:28 am

Programs: AS 100K
Yeah, AS is a very route dependent airline (I suppose they all are). My west coast to Hawaii flights are great and they generally take good care of me but I've looked at them for other routes I've needed and it can be shocking for sure. The sweet spot for an AS customer actually seems to be California as they seem to always be trying to build business (with cheap fares). Hawaii to/from SAN/SFO/SJC can be crazy cheap at times. To/from PDX I do okay but it can get pricy at times. Mainly, I can choose between a good price or a good time. Flights to Hawaii are super early, flights back are super late or it's ridiculously expensive. Of course, my usage is a very small view of the big picture.
HungryNomad likes this.

Search this Thread