Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS In-Person (and Online) Flyer Forum with Alaska Airlines Executives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Suggested Questions to Be Asked of AS Executives by In-Person Attendees
  • The Elite Upgrade Processor does not upgrade at the elite windows when upgrade space is available and often process the upgrade list inconsistently when it does run. This has been a problem for well over a year. When will this be fixed?
  • What are the plans for overall network growth (% increase in flights) for 2023 and 2024? Is the focus more flights to existing cities?
  • What are the growth plans for SFO? LAX?
  • What are the plans for Dallas Love Field (currently only one flight daily to SEA and SFO)?
  • Please describe what *if any* plans exist for improving SEA ops in winter weather conditions … the chaos that has rippled throughout the entire system for nearly a week after the last four or five wx events — many of which actually didn’t develop as badly as initially forecast — has left a *very* bad impression of all aspects of AS operations and management
  • Going forward, will AS allow mixing partner award flights? Like SEA-LHR on BA, then LHR-KUL on MH on a single ticket?
  • Regarding Partner Award availability, are there any plans to make it easier for Seattle-based members to get to major U.S. gateways (e.g., LAX, DFW, ORD). In other words: why is there rarely/never award space at the right level to us get to these gateways?
  • What are the expansion plans for PAE? Are Spokane and Portland possibilities?

What was submitted from Remote participants:
  • How dependent on the network growth plan is the MAX assembly and delivery schedule?
  • What will it take to display "real" EQMs (e.g. No California Bonus) and AS metal segments required for elite tier status in the Alaska App?
  • A round robin question to each executive, non-binding answer of course, what airport would each exec like to see a new Alaska Lounge at?

Link to the presentation: Alaska Airlines Flyer Forum 2022 - YouTube

Print Wikipost

AS In-Person (and Online) Flyer Forum with Alaska Airlines Executives

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
have not yet seen the survey email, but I was on AS922 SEA-BWI — unfortunately Mrs767’s bag was not

the baggage service agent at BWI informed us that it will arrive on AA from ORD tomorrow ~noon EST … she couldn’t (? def didn’t) actually tell me where it was, but apparently *NOT* in SEA because even though there was still an hour before AS2 departed she was unable to make that happen

damn, could have used that automated tracker!

ok, back on topic — my comments probably won’t be too much different from some of the more “non-value-added for the really frequent flyers” theme already well enunciated
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
My response:
"I thought it was more of a marketing event than an actual forum. You need to know your audience, everyone there was frequent flyers and already knows all about OneWorld benefits as well as airport updates and expansion plans. That seemed to be just filler. You need to spend way more time dealing with tough questions that need answers and not pick a few softball questions that you answer. When you do take questions from the audience, actually answer the question, don't blow smoke. This event needs to be way more focused on frequent flyers and their specific issues, not general updates that you can send in an email at any time."
QT31415, WrightHI, ssk244 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
My response:
"I thought it was more of a marketing event than an actual forum. You need to know your audience, everyone there was frequent flyers and already knows all about OneWorld benefits as well as airport updates and expansion plans. That seemed to be just filler. You need to spend way more time dealing with tough questions that need answers and not pick a few softball questions that you answer. When you do take questions from the audience, actually answer the question, don't blow smoke. This event needs to be way more focused on frequent flyers and their specific issues, not general updates that you can send in an email at any time."
jsguyrus - 1, MM - 0
olouie and Seattle123 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Knowing that there was not even a hint of "transition to the point based program", is good news. Seem continued mileage based earn is set for 2023 program.

Jiburi
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tack
Yet they continue to make money, and have double digit ROI, while other carriers their size continue hemorrhaging dough or panic merge. I believe that is what is referred to as, "Scoreboard".

Scoreboard or scorecard as we used. Their continued profitability is from AS huge loyal base that has been built up over years my question is how long will that base hold together ? Personally I sense a "kink in the armor"
sfozrhfco and Seattle123 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Scoreboard or scorecard as we used. Their continued profitability is from AS huge loyal base that has been built up over years my question is how long will that base hold together ? Personally I sense a "kink in the armor"
Eh, maybe, but think back over their 90 year history, whenever AS would slip, and start to operate at their worst. Did they ever not recover stronger? Until they become unrecoverable or as dysfunctional as B6/NK or any prior bankrupt carrier? Scoreboard. Staying on topic, I'm in lock step with many of the complaints on here, and I certainly am no fan of Ben and Co. But no airline that has ever operated without a plan, has no innovative skill, or has never had a least one fortress hub that they have successfully defended against arguably the strongest carrier in the U.S., has ever been this successful.

Last edited by Tack; Dec 8, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tack
Eh, maybe, but think back over their 90 year history, whenever AS would slip, and start to operate at their worst. Did they ever not recover stronger? Until they become unrecoverable or as dysfunctional as B6/NK or any prior bankrupt carrier? Scoreboard. Staying on topic, I'm in lock step with many of the complaints on here, and I certainly am no fan of Ben and Co. But no airline that has ever operated without a plan, has no innovative skill, or has never had a least one fortress hub that they have successfully defended against arguably the strongest carrier in the U.S., has ever been this successful.
For the most part I fully concur I have been flying AS as my main squeeze for 33 years -+ and like many of us "seen most everything" and I know like most times are changing ( heavens knows I hear that from my kids) as such I am not overly confident Ben @company will survive in the long run I'm sorry but I just don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling. Adding I have been in their presence several times at functions along with what I am seeing/hearing flying not sure. I am sure of one thing it's been a hell of a ride these past 33 or so years AND I miss my Xmas cookies.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Invite List?

I am still uncertain as to who made the cut for the invite list. This is my second year qualifying as 100k and before that I have been 75k every year since it launched. Up to 800,000 miles flown.

Based in Bend but I did not get the virtual invite either.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
It is frustrating to not know how they determined who could attend, but the worst mistake they made was sending out way too many invites. If you know you can only accept 200 or so, then limit the pool! And, then if you are going to limit the online guests, limit the pool again - but make it clear that the online cannot participate in any manner and cannot win as there is no way to determine who attended the online portion. (I do not need or want a prize but that alleged carrot was useless).
I could be way wrong, but I believe the selection was a combination of those with the status PLUS CC spend. Based only on the last event I attended, {the concert with Earth Wind and Fire) The CC folks had the first rows seating priority and a private gathering prior to the event, those of us that were mere 75ks. (100k was not a thing as of yet, despite many of us having more than 100k miles) were on the main floor, but in the back. AS staff (from all areas of the company) were on the grass behind us, it was a blast mingling with them in the wait lines.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ctporter
I could be way wrong, but I believe the selection was a combination of those with the status PLUS CC spend.
I was invited to the online event. MVPG75k who is dropping to MVP in 2023, with about $25k in credit card spend across personal and business cards (a large portion due to the one day BofA 3X event in November)

My spouse was invited, too. MVP and dropping to nothing in 2023. Minimal credit card spend.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
My data point - 100K but no CC
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:25 pm

Is there a recording? I thought I saw mention of a video of the event. If so, can someone share?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: AS 100K and AS 1MM
Maybe I missed mention of it in this thread, but did *anyone* win anything tangible as was promised?
The online process - if there was one - to enter any contest or whatnot was unclear.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Exactly. AS management themselves have said on their earnings calls they are not worried about the competition because there is very little competition in their region. The PNW is the least competitive area of the country by far. AS is living on the remaining fumes of good will they built up in the past. They outsource to OO and now to AA and are still well behind in capacity restoration in comparison to every other carrier of similar or smaller size. They are so fixated on the marketing aspect and expecting unconditional love in return, they have failed to come up with a long term strategy—and have been largely successful at ignoring the questions investors and customers have.
edgewood49 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Is there a recording? I thought I saw mention of a video of the event. If so, can someone share?
The YouTube video has been made private. You had about 12 hours to watch it before they removed it.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.