Wi-Fi to Hawaii?

Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Wi-Fi to Hawaii?

I am flying Sea to Kona later this week - does Alaska’s wifi work on 737-9 max (ETOPS) over the ocean?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:22 pm

Flew a MAX 9 to HNL last week. Wifi was fine. Even better if you have T-Mobile because it's free! I was able to watch part of the Thursday Night Football game before landing.
OnlyTheoretical likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
I am flying Sea to Kona later this week - does Alaska’s wifi work on 737-9 max (ETOPS) over the ocean?
See:
Wi-Fi / Gogo Availability - West Coast to/from Hawaii
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...lite-wifi.html
TheBeerHunter likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
quick question - i have tmobile - but only seem to be able to access it via my phone - can this be put to my laptop??
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
check: alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com - any aircraft with 2ku has satellite wifi and you can stream all that way to hawaii!

The aircraft you gotta watch out for are the 738 - those arent all retrofitted yet.
sltlyamusd and QT31415 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
quick question - i have tmobile - but only seem to be able to access it via my phone - can this be put to my laptop??
not easily, unless you have an android phone that can share your wifi (various google pixels and some others I'm not aware of):
https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2812516?hl=en

it's also possible to share the wifi connection via bluetooth, but i've not tried this myself:
https://www.electronicsforu.com/spec...ng%20Bluetooth.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by RedPanda5
not easily, unless you have an android phone that can share your wifi (various google pixels and some others I'm not aware of):
thats not what tmobile expressly outlines in thier benefits.....i am still paying the 8 dollars i thought i would have saved.....
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
thats not what tmobile expressly outlines in thier benefits.....i am still paying the 8 dollars i thought i would have saved.....
it for sure could be written clearer on the marketing page (https://www.t-mobile.com/benefits/travel/in-flight-wifi), but when you look at the FAQ it says:

We’re keeping customers connected beyond our own signal—even at 30,000 feet. Eligible customers now have free in-flight connection options, including full-flight Wi-Fi and streaming options where available. In addition to Wi-Fi and streaming, you can also text all flight long where available. Watch all your favorite streaming benefits and stay connected on your smartphone from above the clouds.

Last edited by RedPanda5; Oct 2, 2022 at 10:39 pm
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:37 am

wifi works
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
It totally depends on whether the plane has been retrofitted with satellite wifi - in my experience, it's been less than 50/50 sadly.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RedPanda5

it's also possible to share the wifi connection via bluetooth, but i've not tried this myself:
https://www.electronicsforu.com/spec...ng%20Bluetooth.
The other option I like to use is a travel router. Just did that this past weekend on a 737-900 (flying SEA-HNL) to share Tmobile-provided wifi from my iPhone with my iPad and my wife's laptop.

As others have stated, it's a near certainty you'll have 2Ku wifi if you're on a 737-900 or Max9. The only active ETOPS-certified one of those that doesn't currently have 2Ku wifi (N948AK) was only brought into service a week ago. On a 737-800, your odds drop a bit. There are still a dozen of those without 2Ku out of the 47 that are ETOPS-certified (so you'll have a 75% chance of wifi). If you want to know ahead of time, look up the tail number for your flight on alaskaair.com/flightstatus and then cross-reference that with what's reported on Weebly for that plane.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Just to follow up on my previous post, perhaps it's easiest just to list the planes on which you won't have 2Ku wifi when flying to Hawaii. As of 10/3/2022, if you're on any of the following dozen 737-800's, you won't have 2Ku wifi:

N534AS
N536AS
N537AS
N560AS
N563AS
N564AS
N579AS
N583AS
N584AS
N586AS
N593AS
N596AS

If your flight to Hawaii is not on any of these and you don't have 2Ku wifi, then either it's busted or you're on a MAX9 which was only recently brought into service (they don't come with 2Ku wifi enabled off the assembly line, and it seems to be taking AS about 1-2 months after initially bringing them into service to retrofit/enable the capability).
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Some new MAX9 still without wifi

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
If your flight to Hawaii is not on any of these and you don't have 2Ku wifi, then either it's busted or you're on a MAX9 which was only recently brought into service (they don't come with 2Ku wifi enabled off the assembly line, and it seems to be taking AS about 1-2 months after initially bringing them into service to retrofit/enable the capability).
With some probability that new MAX9's are flying Hawaii routes, it's never a sure thing. I got one of those MAX9 flight with no wifi, albeit full working entertainment.

Jiburi
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Wifi worked on my flight, and Amazingly well. Super impressed for the middle of the ocean for $8
czpdx likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or something to it or not but a couple times on wifi-enabled planes to/from Hawaii when I didn't sign-on and pay early on I was unable to do so. It just stalls endlessly on the payment screen. Curious if anyone else has noticed this or had any other problems. My laptop is a modern Lenovo laptop, Win10.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.