Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone

Fly to Elite Faster

Earn 50% more Mileage Plan™ elite-qualifying miles (EQM) on Alaska flights to, from and within California when you fly October 1 – November 10, 2022. No registration required.
Print Wikipost

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by KuBear
I wish there was an option to opt out of this promotion. I almost feel like Alaska Airlines is doing this on purpose in hopes to confuse elite members making them think they earn certain benefits when they actually didn't.
I don’t know about intention - more likely they didn’t really consider that this might confuse, mislead or upset some of their more loyal customers.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anteater
Bonus and promotional EQM (including the 50% CA promo) do not count toward the 100K CB.

I highly recommend to not expect those bonus EQMs to be counted. 🙌🏻🍹
After the classic HUCA maneuver - they did confirm my math of 2916 EQM to go for the 100k CB / 2nd AA system wide upgrade coupon for 2023! I moved my award flight to MCO (which was cheap anyway) to revenue which was very cheap too.....no biggie. 6882 BIS EQM coming for the rest of 2022....so easily pass it.

I do agree if you arent in the "know" you will have a ton of pissed off elites seeing 100k or even 75k asking for benes and then say sorry some arent if you read the fine print.....even i had to ask twice from Alaska's own CS department - one said - totally fine - the other said what this thread has said....

I would suggest a counter on my account or separately list these as "milestone" benefits with the appropriate counter like UA has for extra PP thresholds etc. and not have them explicit as elite benefits for each tier....
notquiteaff and mtofell like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Heck even UA doesnt exclude the extra benefits with the PQP promos....its a unified total - no "promo" PQP versus "BIS"/real PQP etc.....no confusion there.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
We will obviously find out at some point, but I remain skeptical that AS is going to properly track which miles were elite qualifying miles, but not elite choice qualifying miles. I will honestly be surprised if there are 100k qualifiers who arent allowed the annual choice because of this, but Ive been wrong before
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
After the classic HUCA maneuver - they did confirm my math of 2916 EQM to go for the 100k CB / 2nd AA system wide upgrade coupon for 2023! I moved my award flight to MCO (which was cheap anyway) to revenue which was very cheap too.....no biggie. 6882 BIS EQM coming for the rest of 2022....so easily pass it.

I do agree if you arent in the "know" you will have a ton of pissed off elites seeing 100k or even 75k asking for benes and then say sorry some arent if you read the fine print.....even i had to ask twice from Alaska's own CS department - one said - totally fine - the other said what this thread has said....

I would suggest a counter on my account or separately list these as "milestone" benefits with the appropriate counter like UA has for extra PP thresholds etc. and not have them explicit as elite benefits for each tier....
so the one who confirmed 2916 EQM would not count for 100k choice benefit has a way to see the “real” EQMs in their internal system?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: A few...
In my experience if you're within 500 miles organically (not status match challenge) then you may have a shot at being credited next higher tier of status, but if you're between 1,000 and 500 then no dice. I've heard in the past 200 is a sure thing, but YMMV.

During COVID, I was recommended to purchase a refundable RT from SEA-PDX that my sig other couldn't take "due to COVID and weather scares" (CSR's words and recommendation, not mine) that I then called back CS to cancel and ask if my P2 could be credited status for the 1,000 miles that would have pushed her past the next tier. The same CSR answered when I called back (seriously?!) and awarded the status...talk about luck and service.
aquanine likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I picked up the 50% on a flight the other day and another soon. I haven’t sorted out whether it would be beneficial to have the 50% for all flights for 11/11-12/31. Just one mileage run later this month takes me to Gold. But I can’t bring myself to embark on another three to make 75K, unless the 50% would qualify me for 100K.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Has anyone not gotten the 50% bonus? My spouse (MVP75K) has gotten 25% bonus while I (MVP100K) have gotten 50% bonus. Wasn't sure if this is correct or a glitch.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Add one more request to see organic miles somewhere on the app or website. Didn't get the 50K bonus miles as expected after getting to 75K with the bonus EQM, but would be good to know how far away I am without having to call.
isaacchambers likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Resplendent
Add one more request to see organic miles somewhere on the app or website. Didn't get the 50K bonus miles as expected after getting to 75K with the bonus EQM, but would be good to know how far away I am without having to call.
Agree. I keep a spreadsheet to track my status, but at the moment, it only tracks the EQM as displayed on the Web (including bonus EQM). What's interesting is that, by my calculations, with the 50% bonus EQM I should have hit 75K on Oct 18 but without the bonus EQM only on Oct 25. Yet the 50K bonus RDM appear posted on Oct 20.

Either my calculations are incorrect (possible, although I regularly reconcile my EQM with the Web), OR AS mistakenly includes the bonus EQM miles in the 50K bonus RDM reward, OR they wait until you hit the 75K organically and then backdate the bonus RDM to the time just after you first hit 75K (including the 50% bonus EQM).

I should hit 100K either way, but I wonder whether AS will eventually backtrack and make the Web site EQM display be the one used for all rewards.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:05 pm

this is my problem with “real” and “not real” tracking for this benefit.

i confirmed that I DID NOT qualify for the 100k status choice benefit. However, I got this email indicating that I would.

im a flyertalk AV nerd. And I’m even confused at times over this. I can’t imagine all the CS calls comes January about the complaints on many told they qualified via email like this. Then told they in fact didn’t.

this is a horrible call on these TCs saying that you qualify for status but not fully. It’s a PR nightmare.

i hope miss darlin sees this example and hopefully can provide feedback on this.
Resplendent likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thekaica
Has anyone not gotten the 50% bonus? My spouse (MVP75K) has gotten 25% bonus while I (MVP100K) have gotten 50% bonus. Wasn't sure if this is correct or a glitch.
I'm MVP75K and have gotten the 50% bonus on three flights - one half of a round trip that spanned Oct 1 and on a round trip last week.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Resplendent
I'll contribute my data point that I had the 50K RDM and 4 Lounge Passes post instantly after crossing 75K including the bonuses along with the flight that took me over the threshold as it worked in previous years
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by isaacchambers;[url=tel:34740547
34740547]

this is my problem with “real” and “not real” tracking for this benefit.

i confirmed that I DID NOT qualify for the 100k status choice benefit. However, I got this email indicating that I would.

im a flyertalk AV nerd. And I’m even confused at times over this. I can’t imagine all the CS calls comes January about the complaints on many told they qualified via email like this. Then told they in fact didn’t.

this is a horrible call on these TCs saying that you qualify for status but not fully. It’s a PR nightmare.

i hope miss darlin sees this example and hopefully can provide feedback on this.
Agreed. AS should have at least sent out that information to those who truly qualified (at the time of dispatch).

I foresee angry 100K ‘lite’ elites in January 2023.

Though, in AS’ defense if one clicks through they are directed to the AS elite benefits page and the T&Cs clearly delineate how one would qualify.

AS certainly would do well to add an organic EQM tracker to the account page, but wheels move slowly so I wouldn’t expect it by 1/2023.

🤞🏻🥃

Last edited by anteater; Nov 7, 2022 at 5:55 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by anteater
AS certainly would do well to add an organic EQM tracker to the account page, but wheels move slowly so I wouldn’t expect it by 1/2023.

🤞🏻🥃
Or they could just keep it simple and not have real and not-quite-real EQMs. If they were afraid that it would cost them too much to offer 50% Real EQM™, perhaps they should have just offered 25%…

I am not even personally affected by this and I am annoyed by this.
ssk244, anteater and mtofell like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.