Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone

Fly to Elite Faster

Earn 50% more Mileage Plan™ elite-qualifying miles (EQM) on Alaska flights to, from and within California when you fly October 1 – November 10, 2022. No registration required.
Print Wikipost

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This promo really helped me out, and I kind of screwed up. After my MR this weekend, and including the promo I presume, I'm now at 493 EQMs to MVPG.

I still have JFK-SFO-JFK booked in a couple of weeks It's a saver fare so I can't even change it. Oh well.

-J.
If you can find a really cheap AA non-BE flight ex-NYC, one segment can credit to AS for the min. 500 miles to get you over the finish line. You can cancel your AS flight to use the balance for next year.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you can find a really cheap AA non-BE flight ex-NYC, one segment can credit to AS for the min. 500 miles to get you over the finish line. You can cancel your AS flight to use the balance for next year.
That's what I'd rather do, but you can't cancel Saver (X) flights. I mean you can, but you forfeit the funds, and I'm certainly not looking to spend any more this year.

-J.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Bonvoy Titanium, Recovering United 1K
Originally Posted by anteater
The aforementioned statements accurately reflect AS policy. If AS IT mistakenly awards the bonus EQMs consider yourself lucky; however, people should not expect to receive them well.. because they aren’t entitled to them per AS.

You can contact Customer Care to verify too. 🙌🏻🥃
What do you ask CS? "Can you tell me my actual EQM"?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by cpworld;[url=tel:34724680
34724680]What do you ask CS? "Can you tell me my actual EQM"?
If someone is seeking their organic (non-bonus) EQM, I recommend writing into Customer Care so you have their response in writing. Being do so, one has documentation in case there are any issues.

As for the quote, if AS mistakenly awarded bonus RDMs or EQMs, I would be thankful if they remained but I wouldn’t be surprised if AS audited and removed them at a later time.

Last edited by anteater; Nov 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This promo really helped me out, and I kind of screwed up. After my MR this weekend, and including the promo I presume, I'm now at 493 EQMs to MVPG.
Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I was told by a customer service rep that there was a 500 EQM cushion for elite qualification. That is, they'd give it to you if you are within 500 EQM.

I was doing a status challenge and BOS-SEA X2 == 9,984 miles put me 16 EQM short, so I asked. She mentioned that she thought there was a 500 mile cushion, but then came back after asking around and said this didn't apply to the challenge. It is probably unofficial and something you could request after Jan 1. Better to do a quick trip if you can.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jeffcontheleftcoast
New mileage math:
SFO -> IAD (First Class (C)): 2412 + (2412*.75) + (2412*.5) = 5427
IAD -> SFO (Main(G)) : 2412 (no change)

5427 + 2412 = 7839
Looks right to me. Just be sure you're in fact booked into C and not D or I (the COS bonus for C is 75%, but it's only 50% for D and I).

Originally Posted by jeffcontheleftcoast
Also.. when booking with "MVP" selected, it seems the tickets have to be booked separately.... I currently book with one credit card transaction, one batch of seat selection, all one transaction.
If we use "MVP perks" (e.g. upgrade at time of booking) then I think we'll need to be creative with the website, or phone the agent.
Yeah, as an MVP, it's not typically possible on the website to secure an instant upgrade to F (assuming 2U availability) when travelling with another MVP unless you want to book a refundable Y fare (or non-refundable Y or B is all that's left in Main) because as you've discovered, the website won't allow you to both choose MVP as the Upgrade Type and also specify more than one passenger. But it's easily doable by just booking the both of you into a lower fare class on the website and then calling in to up-fare to B (in theory, you should also be able to book into a higher fare class and then call in to down-fare to B, but personally, I've never tried it that way and always gone the up-fare route). I've followed this strategy multiple times in the past and it's been pretty straightforward (but again, the key is you need to ensure 2U availability beforehand). Here's the details for the last time I tried it about a year ago: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33543450-post932.html
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by joachimm;[url=tel:34725014
34725014]Take it for what it's worth (not much), but I was told by a customer service rep that there was a 500 EQM cushion for elite qualification. That is, they'd give it to you if you are within 500 EQM.

I was doing a status challenge and BOS-SEA X2 == 9,984 miles put me 16 EQM short, so I asked. She mentioned that she thought there was a 500 mile cushion, but then came back after asking around and said this didn't apply to the challenge. It is probably unofficial and something you could request after Jan 1. Better to do a quick trip if you can.
I followed up on this.

It’s not policy (not guaranteed). AS may grant an exception if a MP member / elite is less than 500 miles away from qualifying, but it’s solely on an individual basis (at AS’ discretion).

🙌🏻🍹
joachimm and mildfrequence like this.

Last edited by anteater; Nov 1, 2022 at 7:34 pm
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I confirmed with AS that’s the EQM as part of this promo counts towards the 100k choice benefit and 2nd AA systemwide upgrade benefit for 2023.

my current EQM in my account is the “real” count for ALL benefits.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I confirmed with AS that’s the EQM as part of this promo counts towards the 100k choice benefit and 2nd AA systemwide upgrade benefit for 2023.

I was just chatting with them and they told me the opposite.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anteater likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cpworld
I was just chatting with them and they told me the opposite.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yea. That’s what I said to them too.

by my count. I had 2916 EQM this year from the CA bonus. All the fare class bonuses count as usual to normal elite status. No other promo EQM posted this year for last winters debacle.

so with a current 100848 EQM. I should have a real 97932 EQM.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by isaacchambers;[url=tel:34728403
34728403]I confirmed with AS that’s the EQM as part of this promo counts towards the 100k choice benefit and 2nd AA systemwide upgrade benefit for 2023.

Bonus and promotional EQM (including the 50% CA promo) do not count toward the 100K CB.

I highly recommend to not expect those bonus EQMs to be counted. 🙌🏻🍹
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:38 pm

Kind of frustrating -- if not for this forum I would have taken the elite progress from the web site thinking I crossed the line in early December. I provisionally booked a final flight in mid-December but may have cancelled. I believe strongly that Alaska should either use these promotions for RDM bonuses or treat them as "real" EQM qualifiers. Or, a less attractive and more complicated option would be to add an additional counter to the elite status page. But the current method is misleading.

Thank you to this community for saving me from some future frustration!
anteater likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:04 pm

I wish there was an option to opt out of this promotion. I almost feel like Alaska Airlines is doing this on purpose in hopes to confuse elite members making them think they earn certain benefits when they actually didn't.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by KuBear
I wish there was an option to opt out of this promotion.
There is an option... don't fly

I for one am grateful; as of September I was going to clear MVPG by a mere 37 miles, and now I will have a much nicer cushion.

-J.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
How can the airline force everyone into a promotion and then say promotional mileage won’t count toward elite perks?
Talk about confusion to the person who is not knowing about all this info. What’s odd is the PAE promotion which does require you to sign up, those promotional mileage does count toward elite perks. Isn’t that backwards?
notquiteaff and isaacchambers like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.