Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Oct 1, 22, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone

Fly to Elite Faster

Earn 50% more Mileage Plan elite-qualifying miles (EQM) on Alaska flights to, from and within California when you fly October 1 November 10, 2022. No registration required.
Print Wikipost

50% Bonus EQM for CA Flights (10/1-11/10/2022)

Old Oct 5, 22, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CalanMan
As per usual, James' reading comprehension is better than the AS systems'!

On Monday I flew PAE-SFO on an I fare, and received 2130 EQM, which makes me think they did stack. (Though still didn't multiply like MapleLeaf93's original logic.)

100% (base) + 50% (COS bonus) + 50% (CA promo) + 100% (PAE promo) = 300%
710 miles (not 711) * 300% = 2130
Thanks for the data point. It pretty much lines up with be_rettSEA's data point. My original erroneous assumption was that the CA promo would stack on multiplicatively with any CoS bonus (and also the PAE promo), similar to how the Covid bonus stacked. But it seems this time around, although the bonus still stacks, it's done so additively (ie. each bonus is applied separately against the base mileage and then they are summed together).

I was also initially thinking that the CA bonus would be combinable with the PAE bonus, but James pointed out that their T&C's indicated it wouldn't be combinable, so I wasn't optimistic. But your data point seems to indicate that despite what's explicitly stated in their own T&C's, the two promos are in fact combinable (and each are applied to the base mileage and then summed). So since it works in our favour (albeit additively rather than multiplicatively), I think it's best just not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Oct 5, 22, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93
Thanks for the data point. It pretty much lines up with be_rettSEA's data point. My original erroneous assumption was that the CA promo would stack on multiplicatively with any CoS bonus (and also the PAE promo), similar to how the Covid bonus stacked. But it seems this time around, although the bonus still stacks, it's done so additively (ie. each bonus is applied separately against the base mileage and then they are summed together).

I was also initially thinking that the CA bonus would be combinable with the PAE bonus, but James pointed out that their T&C's indicated it wouldn't be combinable, so I wasn't optimistic. But your data point seems to indicate that despite what's explicitly stated in their own T&C's, the two promos are in fact combinable (and each are applied to the base mileage and then summed). So since it works in our favour (albeit additively rather than multiplicatively), I think it's best just not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Moot point for me - subject promo will allow me to cancel PAE MR scheduled for next month.
Old Oct 6, 22, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf93

Its interesting that they dont allow it to stack on the COS from a paid high fare class (i.e. K,H,B, Y, D, I, C, J). This doesnt incentivize buying First, it pushes people to just buy as cheap as possible. Its already limited to 10k to eliminate MR. I thought they would want people especially elites to give them more $$$, especially now that seat is generating revenue instead of a free upgrade......
ssk244 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Oct 6, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Barring some "double EQM" promo this year, I'm going to fall to Gold since I diverted flights/earnings to AA to cross the 1MM threshold. Alaska e-shopping doesn't earn EQM, does it?
Old Oct 6, 22, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Barring some "double EQM" promo this year, I'm going to fall to Gold since I diverted flights/earnings to AA to cross the 1MM threshold. Alaska e-shopping doesn't earn EQM, does it?
Nope.
Old Oct 6, 22, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
The terms state "A member may earn a maximum of 10,000 bonus elite qualifying miles via this promotion. "
I assume this not total miles but just the bonus part?

For example (if not on a CoS fare) the max miles you could fly for the bonus would be 20,000 miles, and then get the 50% EQM on top of that, for a total of 30,000 EQM.
or is the max 6,666 miles flown, resulting in 10,000 EQM with base and bonus.
Old Oct 6, 22, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by scklumb
The terms state "A member may earn a maximum of 10,000 bonus elite qualifying miles via this promotion. "
I assume this not total miles but just the bonus part?
thats how I read it. The regular miles arent earned through this promo,
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 6, 22, 8:23 pm

Interesting promo. I've connected through LAX 3 out of 4 of my last trips and now I can't get any flights connecting in CA.
Old Oct 7, 22, 7:57 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I pulled the trigger and booked a couple of PDX>SFO>JFK>SFO>PDX redeyes which will get me to 100. Ill miss the AA certificates, but thats not a huge deal for me. I usually dont chase status, but I had some wallet credit and it ended up being around 650 out of pocket, which seemed worth maintaining 100k. Plus I am curious too see if they add/change anything to the program, and see what 100 looks like after what I anticipte will be a pretty big drop in members due to the lack of bonuses this year.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by brentyb
I pulled the trigger and booked a couple of PDX>SFO>JFK>SFO>PDX redeyes which will get me to 100. Ill miss the AA certificates, but thats not a huge deal for me. I usually dont chase status, but I had some wallet credit and it ended up being around 650 out of pocket, which seemed worth maintaining 100k. Plus I am curious too see if they add/change anything to the program, and see what 100 looks like after what I anticipte will be a pretty big drop in members due to the lack of bonuses this year.
I also think that the 24 segment requirement is going to cut large swathes of elites out for next year. I think there is a decent-sized population who, historically, credited to, but never flew AS.
Old Oct 7, 22, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by pmblinn
I also think that the 24 segment requirement is going to cut large swathes of elites out for next year.
Let's hope.
buschoi, NoLaGent and pmblinn like this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I also think that the 24 segment requirement is going to cut large swathes of elites out for next year. I think there is a decent-sized population who, historically, credited to, but never flew AS.
I don't know - that's one r/t a month with no connections, one every other month with connections.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 7, 22, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
I don't know - that's one r/t a month with no connections, one every other month with connections.
If you live in North America...
Old Oct 7, 22, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Silver, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Unless you are flying J/F all the time on partner airlines, I am trying to rationalize. Most Y fares would not get you a lot of EQM on AS. You would have to be doing serious flying on another airline (s) to earn low the 1st tier status with AS, and for those folks, doubt they would be crediting to AS if they can do the same directly and get more in the process, generally speaking.
Old Oct 7, 22, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by olouie
Somehow I think AS crack IT will mess this up and make some elites very unhappy.
agree that it will be confusing. Ive got about 6 flights that will qualify sea to lax/SNA. Getting near 100K for year and now this will just make
me do math to make sure I actually get to 100K organically to make sure I get the new 100k benefit option selection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.