Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] No Alcohol Served in Exit Row Seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

I was just told by a flight attendant that AS doesn’t serve alcohol to exit row passengers. When I explained I had never heard of that in 1.1 million miles on AS, the response was that “it’s always been that way”.

Meanwhile a different FA served the guy across from me champagne.

sea_jeff, becks1, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: Yes
I don’t believe that is correct, but I’d have to inquire to be sure. You could always write into Customer Care.

I was once flying back from WDW (MCO), I was seated in an exit row and the FAs served me 13 drinks. YMMV.

🤙🏻🍹
pmblinn, becks1 and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Chugach
I was just told by a flight attendant that AS doesn’t serve alcohol to exit row passengers. When I explained I had never heard of that in 1.1 million miles on AS, the response was that “it’s always been that way”.

Meanwhile a different FA served the guy across from me champagne.

Lol, I can’t even imagine what the FA would be referring to! Never heard that rule in all my time working at AS. I’m 6’5. If you don’t find me in a reasonably priced, paid FC seat or taking AAdvantage of a comp upg, the only other seat that you’ll find me in is an exit aisle. I’m easy to spot, I’m the tall, bald bloke with a couple of Jack or Woodford’s in my hand. I’m usually not a .....y flyer, but for that stupidity I’d complete an Alaska Listens.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
It makes sense to me that alcohol would be prohibited in the exit row since you need to be able to act in the case of an emergency. I like a couple of drinks and a nap when I fly so I've always avoided those seats for this reason. That being said, I know plenty of people do order premium beverages in the exit row and I can't see anything in AS's publically stated policy that prohibits it. My hunch is that the FA was wrong. According to this Washington Post article, it's more a matter of etiquette.

​​​​​​https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...693_story.html
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Definitely not my experience that this is standard procedure on AS (or any other airline I have had the exit row experience).
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
It makes sense to me that alcohol would be prohibited in the exit row since you need to be able to act in the case of an emergency. I like a couple of drinks and a nap when I fly so I've always avoided those seats for this reason. That being said, I know plenty of people do order premium beverages in the exit row and I can't see anything in AS's publically stated policy that prohibits it. My hunch is that the FA was wrong. According to this Washington Post article, it's more a matter of etiquette.

​​​​​​https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...693_story.html
I agree.

they don’t want drunks to be relied upon in the exit rows
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
I agree.

they don’t want drunks to be relied upon in the exit rows
“Drunks” in an exit row are easy to avoid. The F/A’s just need to make sure that they follow the FAR’s and not over serve. Of course that FAR’s apply to all rows. Exit rows have never had a no alcohol requirement. I’ll take my Woodford now, Cheers!

Last edited by Tack; Aug 21, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Tack
“Drunks” in an exit row are easy to avoid. The F/A’s just need to make sure that they follow the FAR’s and not over serve. Of course that FAR apples to all rows. Exit rows have never had a no alcohol requirement. I’ll take my Woodford now, Cheers!
actually drunks are actually hard to assess. It depends greatly on their alcohol tolerance.

you might think someone is sober visually but they would fail a breath test. It’s easier to just not serve alcohol.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tack
“Drunks” in an exit row are easy to avoid. The F/A’s just need to make sure that they follow the FAR’s and not over serve. Of course that FAR apples to all rows. Exit rows have never had a no alcohol requirement. I’ll take my Woodford now, Cheers!
It would be very hard for an FA to evaluate if someone is drunk or not. Tolerance varies widely and if someone is sitting quietly they could be falling over drunk without anyone noticing. If the policy does exist, it makes sense.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
actuall drunks are actually hard to assess. It depends greatly on their alcohol tolerance.

you might think someone is sober visually but they would fail a breath test. It’s easier to just not serve alcohol.
Except on an aircraft it’s not difficult, it does require attention. To this topic, AS has a policy of having crew monitor alcohol intake. Throughout my time at AS I can count on half of a hand the number of times a crew member over-served. Alcohol service on an aircraft has very strict training for F/A’s. If they follow their training, managing a jet full of customers who want an adult beverage is only an issue for those FA’s that don’t feel like providing a full beverage service. No alcohol in an exit seat is not an AS policy. The FA above was wrong. On AS those that would like an alcoholic drink are free to imbibe, regardless of seat assignment. Those that prefer a non alcoholic drink are afforded the same right. Cheers.
AS Flyer likes this.

Last edited by Tack; Aug 20, 2022 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Chugach While there is no official policy at Alaska, I feel this was the FA’s way of letting you know that you won’t be served any alcohol onboard today in a polite manner of cutting you off proactively.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Chugach While there is no official policy at Alaska, I feel this was the FA’s way of letting you know that you won’t be served any alcohol onboard today in a polite manner of cutting you off proactively.
Excellent point, if that was in fact the case, then the FA training worked as it should, he/she was attempting to be non confrontational and I will stand happily corrected. Chugach?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:19 pm

This doesn't make any sense. I haven't seen the beverage cart pass through more than twice on any flight I've been on recently, so unless someone is pounding back doubles, I find it hard to believe you'd get "drunk" in the exit row.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
This is 100% my first thought.

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
This doesn't make any sense. I haven't seen the beverage cart pass through more than twice on any flight I've been on recently, so unless someone is pounding back doubles, I find it hard to believe you'd get "drunk" in the exit row.
Easy to have a few in the lounge/airport bar before boarding.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
This is 100% my first thought.

Easy to have a few in the lounge/airport bar before boarding.
Correct, which is why it's an entirely different subject if the F/A judged a passenger to be somewhat intoxicated upon boarding and therefore refused to serve them alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.