Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] Alaska Mileage Plan Future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Speculation] Alaska Mileage Plan Future?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
The moment AS goes to a spend based model like AA I'll be completely done with trying to go for status until I'm more settled into a career. My current ability to hit MVP Gold every year is predicated on taking relatively cheap, but long distance transcons between BOS and SFO several times a year to get between home and university; I can only accomplish this due to 100% EQM earning on all AS marketed flights. As a student, I don't have the ability to indiscriminately spend on a cobrand credit card.

Since my flying is between BOS and SFO, I lock myself into only one possible schedule by flying AS (i.e. a morning SFO-BOS and early evening BOS-SFO). I'm fine with this as it allows me to earn and utilize status, but the moment I can't do that anymore I might as well jump ship to B6 or UA which run 5-6x flights a day on that route.
I agree with you.

im not a heavy business traveler but traveling XC i could earn base status easily on one airline. Now with airlines devaluing miles I won’t get ststus by miles. I could be legs/ segments flown if the don’t have other spend/ miles requirements.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
It's worth reminding folks that VX had EQM through card spend, and when they merged the two programs they chose to eliminate that. So the discussion has happened in the recent past.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
IMO now is not the time to be planning next year’s qualification strategy (2023 qualification for 2024 status). There are too many uncertainties. AS has announced new credit card bennies for later this year, which may be a nothingburger or may have some impact on qualification strategy. Where the economy goes may affect both qualification and the value of status. Conceivably AS could be affected by whatever M&A activity could come after the Freedom/Spirit/JetBlue saga is resolved. Etc. If your choices are AS and AA, you don’t need to decide until you’re actually spending money and crediting flights in 2023.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Find the carrier that works for your travel patterns.....i do find AS upgrades more plentiful......i love them a lot; great food and drinks....reasonably ontime these days compared to everyone else....i love the lounge over others.....

I am really curious at the "additional 100k benefits" later in 2022 for 2023 benefit year......im booked to 82k EQM right now....is it worth the push to 100k....
Old Jul 25, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
Find the carrier that works for your travel patterns.....i do find AS upgrades more plentiful......i love them a lot; great food and drinks....reasonably ontime these days compared to everyone else....i love the lounge over others.....

I am really curious at the "additional 100k benefits" later in 2022 for 2023 benefit year......im booked to 82k EQM right now....is it worth the push to 100k....
I guess the additional 100k benefits means a collection of all 3 snacks (chips+choco almonds+popcorn)
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP , Alaska MVP100K, Marriott Titanium
The 100K level has been useful for me in getting upgraded, I am getting upgraded out of LAS 90 percent of the time. I imagine SEA or PDX would be very different, but I do fly to SFO 2X a month and been upgraded almost every flight.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 985X
I guess the additional 100k benefits means a collection of all 3 snacks (chips+choco almonds+popcorn)
ill just take a free cheese plate or wrap!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
The moment AS goes to a spend based model like AA I'll be completely done with trying to go for status until I'm more settled into a career. My current ability to hit MVP Gold every year is predicated on taking relatively cheap, but long distance transcons between BOS and SFO several times a year to get between home and university; I can only accomplish this due to 100% EQM earning on all AS marketed flights. As a student, I don't have the ability to indiscriminately spend on a cobrand credit card.
You could just stop writing right here and know that they won't miss your BIS. Sorry.

You could say there's something out there for lifetime customer value because you'll be loyal in the future, but truth be told, you and the airline in 5 years when you're "more settled in your career" are going to do exactly what the business dictates. Today wasn't different, it's just new.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I strongly suggest flying the airline that best suits your schedule. Then figure out how to make the loyalty program work for you. It doesn't really matter how much you like an airline if they can't get you where you want to go.

AS was great for me when I lived in SF. Then I moved to PHX and they added the segment requirement, so bye-bye AS and hello AA. They have been good to me. FWIW I find that most domestic airlines (not including LCCs) are basically the same; loyalty towards any one is a mistake. My flying experience has not changed in any significant way since I switched. I guess I miss the chocolate.
Alaska just seems like a "friendlier" airline. I have had only one pretty bad experience with Alaska, but they made up for it with $5K in flight vouchers and handled it quickly. Overall they have been good to me and for the most part get me where I need to go. Living temporarily in Vegas for tax reasons, I do occasionally have to fly American, but just credit to Alaska. My biggest issue is I no longer fly to NYC and Asia 2X a year for work, so the ability to rack up EQM is limited with my 90 percent west coast travel. Asia will come back (eventually, but who knows when) NYC will not. So as I mentioned, just really need to sit down and pencil this out, getting to EXP on American will be a breeze with the "loyalty" points, I will be very, very, to make it to 75K on Alaska this year and most likely only make it to Gold.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
At some point this gets exhausting and I want to just throw in the towel and book whoever has the best price/schedule. Normally I would also say if I want first I would just pay for it, but with the recent price increases even first is generally too expensive for me to consider.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
At some point this gets exhausting and I want to just throw in the towel and book whoever has the best price/schedule. Normally I would also say if I want first I would just pay for it, but with the recent price increases even first is generally too expensive for me to consider.
Yeah, I realized sometime earlier this year that with some WN funny money after a VDB, WN and DL miles I don't mind blowing on domestic redemptions, DL gift cards and flight credits, and credit cards I want to retain that will cover $450 in DL/WN cheap flights or split tenders with gift cards/vouchers/credits, I don't have to spend any more money in 2023 to do the travel I legitimately expect to take. I'll lose AS status for 2024, but I also anticipate enough credit card signups that I won't really go backwards on the stash of miles I have. Very reasonable signups should net me positive (and able to take future J/F trips across oceans).

Even if I want upgraded experiences from WN/DL basic Y, I can pay for it out of that pool of miles/credit card reimbursement/funny money.

So why exactly would I chase AS status in 2023 for 2024 when I can basically fly a reasonable amount (~20k or so BIS domestic miles) without spending any more cash than $450 in credit card renewal fees? Yeah, I know, the RDM earn and AS sweet spots. I can literally buy AS RDM for ~2 cents a mile (and I've never had the BofA card, so there's that too).

"Best price" seems to be "it's not you, it's me, AS". I won't be actively avoiding them, just... the status hamster wheel makes less and less sense for a leisure traveler who struggles to make MVPG in a good year, and now has credit card earning as an alternate way of getting those juicy longhaul premium trips.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
I will miss flying LAX-SEA-JFK-SEA-LAX for $150 in main cabin from the crazy discount code last year which gave me 0.9cpm for RDM..
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVEL4SCUBA
The GGU I find , with a little patience, searching and flexibility, pretty useful. Last year I booked a trip from Vegas to Jackson Hole using GGU and companion fare. Got two confirmed tickets in first for $484 over July 4 weekend. Had to adjust my dates by one day if I remember but I seem to find space. Only route I can NEVER find U space on is San Diego to Lihue, never once have I been able to book that. I just did book LAX or OGG in September using GGU Thur - Tue travel and again, great value with companion pass, two confirmed seats, r/t for $605. That is a great value, just had to be a little flexible
I let every single GGU I ever had expire unused, except for two that I gave to someone on this forum. The minimum booking class always made them completely worthless for me; every time there was U space available in advance there was always an economy ticket available for much much cheaper than the upgradeable fare, and the chances were good that I would get upgraded anyway. I'm not sure why I would pay more to confirm the upgrade at booking when I can just wait and get the upgrade for free when the window opens.

On the other hand two SWUs allow me to upgrade from a sub-$1000 economy (or basic economy) round trip ticket to a business class ticket that would cost somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range, on a route where I'm not willing to fly economy, and where there are no complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I let every single GGU I ever had expire unused, except for two that I gave to someone on this forum. The minimum booking class always made them completely worthless for me; every time there was U space available in advance there was always an economy ticket available for much much cheaper than the upgradeable fare, and the chances were good that I would get upgraded anyway. I'm not sure why I would pay more to confirm the upgrade at booking when I can just wait and get the upgrade for free when the window opens.
Mine are not quite that useless, but the G/T low fare exclusions hurt GGU value a lot.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

On the other hand two SWUs allow me to upgrade from a sub-$1000 economy (or basic economy) round trip ticket to a business class ticket that would cost somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range, on a route where I'm not willing to fly economy, and where there are no complimentary upgrades.
Well, they are exactly that, confirmed. By the time the window opens, there may be no seats left. If I am flying 6.5 hours to Hawaii or Costa Rica would rather be confirmed than "hope" seats are available.I am seeing almost every flight going out of LAX and SAN with first FULL. long before the window opens. So if the opportunity arises, I grab them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.