Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:52 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags

Rollout of the electronic bag tag program will happen in several phases. The first phase will initially include 2,500 Alaska Airlines’ frequent fliers who will begin using the electronic bag tags in late 2022. Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year.

Alaska Airlines to roll out electronic bag tags to save time (and paper) at the airport – GeekWire

Alaska Airlines becomes first U.S. airline to launch electronic bag tag program – Alaska Airlines News

Last edited by dayone; Jul 20, 2022 at 7:05 am Reason: AS press release live again.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Rollout of the electronic bag tag program will happen in several phases. The first phase will initially include 2,500 Alaska Airlines’ frequent fliers who will begin using the electronic bag tags in late 2022. Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year.

Alaska Airlines becomes first U.S. airline to launch electronic bag tag program – Alaska Airlines News
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
Sounds like good old monetization to me. "Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year. "
lattegirl13, cuthroat and Tack like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
It looks like they've pulled the story back. I can't follow the link or get to the story from their main news page. Did you happen to grab a screenshot? I'd be curious to see what (if anything) changes from the first draft of the release.

Happy to have this if it's free. Not sure I would pay anything for it.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by twitch76
It looks like they've pulled the story back. I can't follow the link or get to the story from their main news page. Did you happen to grab a screenshot? I'd be curious to see what (if anything) changes from the first draft of the release.

Happy to have this if it's free. Not sure I would pay anything for it.
Here you go - multiple outlets picked it up:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/19/alaska-airlines-new-electronic-bag-tag-will-let-you-speed-through-the-airport-lobby/

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/alaska-airlines-to-roll-out-electronic-bag-tags-to-save-time-and-paper-at-the-airport/
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thanks. I do think it's weird that there's no sign of it on the AS News page anymore. For a few minutes it was still showing as a banner on the front page, with the link going to a page-not-found error. Then the banner got pulled.

Anyway... in regard to the tag. Interesting. It really rises and falls on the self-serve scale and drop-off counter. If that doesn't work well, then the value is diminished. Being able to skip the counter altogether would be nice.

Also, I'd rather have an app enhancement that shows me where my bag was last scanned. That could be an universal enhancement, unrelated to electronic tags. I don't want to say that such an enhancement would be "easy," but I think it probably would have been a better use of R&D dollars.

Guesses on cost? $5/tag? $10/tag? More?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:23 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Guesses on cost? $5/tag? $10/tag? More?
The retail cost of the BAGTAG Flex tag is about $66. Airlines receive a quantity discount and AS could offer them at a price of its choosing.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The retail cost of the BAGTAG Flex tag is about $66. Airlines receive a quantity discount and AS could offer them at a price of its choosing.
And I'll get one at a price of my choosing, which will be ŁĄ€$0
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:38 am

Well... I know what marginally-useful piece of tech I likely WON'T be buying next year.

(Now that I think of it, I guess my $5 or $10 guess was woefully inadequate. There's a lot of tech packed into that little package.)

Maybe AS gives them to MVPGs as a perk.
roberto99 and pacman3 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Well... I know what marginally-useful piece of tech I likely WON'T be buying next year.

(Now that I think of it, I guess my $5 or $10 guess was woefully inadequate. There's a lot of tech packed into that little package.)

Maybe AS gives them to MVPGs as a perk.
Airlines would be much better off using this technology to hang from the lanyards of UM travelers ... and pets in the cargo hold.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
These are pretty cool and I'd definitely take them for free, but I wouldn't pay even a little bit for it.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Straight from the linked article:

The airline’s Mileage Plan members will be able to purchase the tags in early 2023, and Jain said the price will be around $70.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Will they pay for replacements when the tag gets damaged/destroyed/ripped off the bag during travel?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Also, I'd rather have an app enhancement that shows me where my bag was last scanned. That could be an universal enhancement, unrelated to electronic tags. I don't want to say that such an enhancement would be "easy," but I think it probably would have been a better use of R&D dollars.
Don’t competitors have had this for a while? Assuming they have the data in a database (which seems like a safe bet) it really shouldn’t require any R, just a few D dollars.
StrandedinLA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
$70??? That's 3 baggage guarantee failures to offset the cost!
ual744777sta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.