FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2087583-roll-out-electronic-bag-tags.html)

dayone Jul 19, 2022 7:52 am

AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags

Rollout of the electronic bag tag program will happen in several phases. The first phase will initially include 2,500 Alaska Airlines’ frequent fliers who will begin using the electronic bag tags in late 2022. Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year.

Alaska Airlines to roll out electronic bag tags to save time (and paper) at the airport – GeekWire

Alaska Airlines becomes first U.S. airline to launch electronic bag tag program – Alaska Airlines News

VegasGambler Jul 19, 2022 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 34438997)
Rollout of the electronic bag tag program will happen in several phases. The first phase will initially include 2,500 Alaska Airlines’ frequent fliers who will begin using the electronic bag tags in late 2022. Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year.

Alaska Airlines becomes first U.S. airline to launch electronic bag tag program – Alaska Airlines News

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

NoLaGent Jul 19, 2022 8:33 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34439007)
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Sounds like good old monetization to me. "Mileage Plan members will have the option to purchase the devices early next year. "

twitch76 Jul 19, 2022 8:38 am

It looks like they've pulled the story back. I can't follow the link or get to the story from their main news page. Did you happen to grab a screenshot? I'd be curious to see what (if anything) changes from the first draft of the release.

Happy to have this if it's free. Not sure I would pay anything for it.

NoLaGent Jul 19, 2022 8:42 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 34439127)
It looks like they've pulled the story back. I can't follow the link or get to the story from their main news page. Did you happen to grab a screenshot? I'd be curious to see what (if anything) changes from the first draft of the release.

Happy to have this if it's free. Not sure I would pay anything for it.

Here you go - multiple outlets picked it up:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/19/alaska-airlines-new-electronic-bag-tag-will-let-you-speed-through-the-airport-lobby/

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/alaska-airlines-to-roll-out-electronic-bag-tags-to-save-time-and-paper-at-the-airport/

twitch76 Jul 19, 2022 8:55 am

Thanks. I do think it's weird that there's no sign of it on the AS News page anymore. For a few minutes it was still showing as a banner on the front page, with the link going to a page-not-found error. Then the banner got pulled.

Anyway... in regard to the tag. Interesting. It really rises and falls on the self-serve scale and drop-off counter. If that doesn't work well, then the value is diminished. Being able to skip the counter altogether would be nice.

Also, I'd rather have an app enhancement that shows me where my bag was last scanned. That could be an universal enhancement, unrelated to electronic tags. I don't want to say that such an enhancement would be "easy," but I think it probably would have been a better use of R&D dollars.

Guesses on cost? $5/tag? $10/tag? More?

dayone Jul 19, 2022 9:23 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 34439190)
Guesses on cost? $5/tag? $10/tag? More?

The retail cost of the BAGTAG Flex tag is about $66. Airlines receive a quantity discount and AS could offer them at a price of its choosing.

Eastbay1K Jul 19, 2022 9:31 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 34439272)
The retail cost of the BAGTAG Flex tag is about $66. Airlines receive a quantity discount and AS could offer them at a price of its choosing.

And I'll get one at a price of my choosing, which will be £¥€$0

twitch76 Jul 19, 2022 9:38 am

Well... I know what marginally-useful piece of tech I likely WON'T be buying next year.

(Now that I think of it, I guess my $5 or $10 guess was woefully inadequate. There's a lot of tech packed into that little package.)

Maybe AS gives them to MVPGs as a perk.

Eastbay1K Jul 19, 2022 9:44 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 34439316)
Well... I know what marginally-useful piece of tech I likely WON'T be buying next year.

(Now that I think of it, I guess my $5 or $10 guess was woefully inadequate. There's a lot of tech packed into that little package.)

Maybe AS gives them to MVPGs as a perk.

Airlines would be much better off using this technology to hang from the lanyards of UM travelers ... and pets in the cargo hold.

SeaLuggageLover Jul 19, 2022 9:51 am

These are pretty cool and I'd definitely take them for free, but I wouldn't pay even a little bit for it.

missamo80 Jul 19, 2022 10:08 am

Straight from the linked article:

The airline’s Mileage Plan members will be able to purchase the tags in early 2023, and Jain said the price will be around $70.

notquiteaff Jul 19, 2022 10:10 am

Will they pay for replacements when the tag gets damaged/destroyed/ripped off the bag during travel?

notquiteaff Jul 19, 2022 10:12 am

Originally Posted by twitch76 (Post 34439190)

Also, I'd rather have an app enhancement that shows me where my bag was last scanned. That could be an universal enhancement, unrelated to electronic tags. I don't want to say that such an enhancement would be "easy," but I think it probably would have been a better use of R&D dollars.

Don’t competitors have had this for a while? Assuming they have the data in a database (which seems like a safe bet) it really shouldn’t require any R, just a few D dollars.

985X Jul 19, 2022 10:13 am

$70??? That's 3 baggage guarantee failures to offset the cost!