AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags

Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twitch76
I would think (perhaps incorrectly) that the barcode actually links to a unique bag ID, which queries a database that identifies the routing. Rerouting the bag doesn’t need a new tag, just an update to the database. If so, it should be fine as long as baghandlers scan the barcode and follow the instructions in their screens, instead of relying on the printed IATA codes.
Moving to something non standard strikes me as a terrible idea. If the bag ever ends up in the hands of anyone other than an AS agent they will have no idea what to do with it.

That barcode needs to be identical to what a printed barcode would be. "Standard" trumps "better" here.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Moving to something non standard strikes me as a terrible idea. If the bag ever ends up in the hands of anyone other than an AS agent they will have no idea what to do with it.

That barcode needs to be identical to what a printed barcode would be. "Standard" trumps "better" here.
What currently happens if your bag is re-routed while it’s out of your control? Do they print a new tag? Or does the barcode already tell them where that bag is supposed to go?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
This is purely just a barcode and info displayed on a fancy etchy sketch tag; sent from your phone to the device. Shouldnt work any different across the network that the current plastic (its not actually fully paper and cannot be recycled very well right now). Scan the bag - the agent should know to reroute it - they can place a paper tag on the bag for reroute (over the display of the electronic tag).

The savings in time should be the time to print your bag tag at the kiosk....approach the drop off and go.
The airline saves a lot of bag tags in terms of waste. BUUT, what is the extra resources for a permanent bag tag plastic etc? Not sure on that balance.

I wouldnt mind one if it was free or marginal......say 10 bucks as its saving the airline a ton of money in terms of printing bag tags.

I would say a happy medium is sending some to thier MVP golds and above....or do a data analysis of who checks the most bags....send them free ones.....this is about paper/plastic reduction....not necessarily about your 1 min savings of time through the airport (well, if you can master the kiosk and know how to tag your own bag - it baffles me with seemingly capable people mystified on what to do with the tag they spit out of the kiosk - rip it and stick it!)

Also a point of issue with the video on the alaska blog - they put AS69 which isnt a flight to SEA from SJC as shown in the video....also they couldnt get a pic of the tag WITHOUT an AF/KL/LH flights on it? Also the flights on the bag in the video are backwards AS 15 originates in EWR - not the destination.....so the appropriate airport codes on the tag should have been TO: KTN (or JNU) via: SEA - Just saying.....then he drops his bag at what is clearly SJC.....anyway....

Last edited by isaacchambers; Jul 21, 2022 at 9:39 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I suspect it shows data that is compatible with standard paper bag tags. Even has the green bars for intra-Schengen trips.

And will other airlines adopt the same thing? Or will they have a similar yet app-wise incompatible solution so that I need a different one for every airline I fly? (I suppose they hope their elites don’t cheat on them, but…)

Another question: when using regular bag tags, there are those little bar codes that you or the agent is supposed to put on the various sides of the bag. Presumably to make it easier for scanners routing the bags in the bowels of an airport’s automatic baggage routing system. And perhaps as a backup if the big tag gets mangled/ripped off. This electronic tag doesn’t have that. Is that a concern, or do most people self-tagging their bags don’t know about those bar codes anyway or just have a collection of old barcodes on their bags?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I suspect it shows data that is compatible with standard paper bag tags. Even has the green bars for intra-Schengen trips.

And will other airlines adopt the same thing? Or will they have a similar yet app-wise incompatible solution so that I need a different one for every airline I fly? (I suppose they hope their elites don’t cheat on them, but…)

Another question: when using regular bag tags, there are those little bar codes that you or the agent is supposed to put on the various sides of the bag. Presumably to make it easier for scanners routing the bags in the bowels of an airport’s automatic baggage routing system. And perhaps as a backup if the big tag gets mangled/ripped off. This electronic tag doesn’t have that. Is that a concern, or do most people self-tagging their bags don’t know about those bar codes anyway or just have a collection of old barcodes on their bags?
Old thread but I thought I'd chime in...
Those little tags are called bingo tags. They're not usually readable by the automated tag readers which guide and route bags to the planes. They're there purely as a backup to the main, larger IATA tag that we're talking about here. On occasion, the large tag gets caught on a belt or a conveyor and gets ripped off. Without a bingo tag or a large main tag, that bag can't really be sorted to the right plane or anywhere. While the bingo tag does have a bar code, it's small and rarely gets read by the tag readers. However many pax and counter agents don't always take the old bingo tags off, and the newest tag readers can, on occasion, read and resolve the old bingo tags. It doesn't mess up the works too much, but it's best to just get rid of the old bingo tags.

The BagTag is programmable for multiple carriers that wish to buy in, but only Alaska has shown support for it in the US that I've seen. It'll be up to the other carriers to individually integrate it into their systems.
notquiteaff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.