AS to Roll Out Electronic Bag Tags

Old Jul 19, 22, 2:19 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by James91 View Post
Why on earth would anyone actually want to do this?
Because they are so loyal to Alaska that they want to spend their own money to help the airline run more smoothly with less staff, obviously.
Old Jul 19, 22, 3:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilton/IHG Diamond, LT UA Silver.
For another $30 you can get four Airtags that are infinitely more useful than this stupid thing.
Old Jul 19, 22, 4:08 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by born sleepy View Post
For another $30 you can get four Airtags that are infinitely more useful than this stupid thing.
Heh. I hadn't actually given serious consideration to buying Airtags for my luggage until this thread. Now, suddenly, 4 Airtags seem like a prudent and economical purchase!

Apple must be thrilled with the rollout of this device.
Old Jul 19, 22, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
Airtags are great for checked bags. You get quick confirmation that your bag is at the gate on your flight and you can often track its progress to the carousel when it's ready to pick up. There are enough iPhones around an airport that it can usually find a signal somewhere along its journey between the counter, your plane(s), the tugs, and the carousel.

The electronic bag tag Alaska is pushing is utterly useless unless it can dynamically morph if your flights change. That might be interesting... although I think they already alert staff when the bag is scanned onto the flight if the itinerary has changed.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 7:04 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Not too long ago I faithfully printed my bag tag and put it in its nice blue carrier. Felt quite okay as I'd been using these for a few years without incident. The bag overnighted at SEA and, somehow, the Alaska blue bag tag carrier was ripped off the case in the SEA baggage area and so it sat....and sat....and sat. It sat despite there being a separate metal tag saying call this number where my flight itinerary is always on record. Three days later it finally made it to TPA and that was many thanks to a couple of really helpful and dedicated TPA and SEA staff who more or less determined my bag would get found. No great problem with the delay...didn't have to go out and buy stuff etc. but it was annoying. So am I going to trust that some other AS item hanging on my bag will help much? Nope. My bags all have a printed itinerary inside, a note in the exterior business card pocket saying to check the metal bag tag or call me at....... they will all have a Samsung smart tag (have one in test mode right now) and they will still have the great little metal tag that will always have my entire itinerary available for retrieval by an airline. AS admitted that it didn't appear anyone had checked the bag for information until the two staff went on a hunt for it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 8:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Why not just switch to RFID tags? These costs pennies and are more reliable. It would require changing their entire backend equipment, and ideally would come from IATA, but IATA already requires specific standardized rolls of bagtag paper...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Why not just switch to RFID tags? These costs pennies and are more reliable. It would require changing their entire backend equipment ...
yeah, each tag may cost pennies, but you shoot the entire cost premise with the rest of the thought
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM, AS 75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
...There are enough iPhones around an airport..
This is one area where I'm a little jealous of Apple's ability to strongarm the entire market to their will. As an Android user with Tile devices - they will never have the penetration of Apple enabling by default every one of their phones into this tracking network. OTOH, using a dominant position in one industry to wipe out competitors in a different space sounds like a legal definition that comes up from time to time. I wonder if Tile has an antitrust case. Of course, antitrust is so expensive to litigate that of course they aren't going to be able to sustain that.
Old Jul 20, 22, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
The electronic bag tag Alaska is pushing is utterly useless unless it can dynamically morph if your flights change. That might be interesting... although I think they already alert staff when the bag is scanned onto the flight if the itinerary has changed.
That's not possible; the article said that they don't have a battery. They draw power from your phone when you scan it, which is enough to change the e-ink display (which does not require power to display; only to change). But to (1) connect to a server to check for updates and (2) change the display when there's a flight change requires a power source, which these do not have.

It's not like paper tags automatically change either so that's not really a big deal IMO.
Old Jul 20, 22, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
That's not possible; the article said that they don't have a battery. They draw power from your phone when you scan it, which is enough to change the e-ink display (which does not require power to display; only to change). But to (1) connect to a server to check for updates and (2) change the display when there's a flight change requires a power source, which these do not have.

It's not like paper tags automatically change either so that's not really a big deal IMO.
But how are they going todo bag re-routes? Add a paper tag to the bag and hope it gets scanned? Tape paper tags onto the electronic tags? Remove digital tag (and stuff it into the bag, perhaps)?

If my phone can program this thing, perhaps the AS agents have one that can do it, too. But what about partners (interline?).
Old Jul 20, 22, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Am I the only one who notices the rendering shows a flight AMS-CDG-FRA? At least change it to a place AS serves.
I am really curious to see what kind of people will pay any money to get this piece of useless thing.
notquiteaff and BayAreaTrvler like this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by simonsuo View Post
Am I the only one who notices the rendering shows a flight AMS-CDG-FRA? At least change it to a place AS serves.
we FTers are such geeks

(I’m kinda reminded of the TPG post for the SEA-CLE inaugural last month that originally featured a pic of a 320 … the actual flight was a 7M9 … yes I let TPG know, and yes they said they would fix it)
Old Jul 20, 22, 8:52 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
But how are they going todo bag re-routes? Add a paper tag to the bag and hope it gets scanned? Tape paper tags onto the electronic tags? Remove digital tag (and stuff it into the bag, perhaps)?

If my phone can program this thing, perhaps the AS agents have one that can do it, too. But what about partners (interline?).
I would think (perhaps incorrectly) that the barcode actually links to a unique bag ID, which queries a database that identifies the routing. Rerouting the bag doesnt need a new tag, just an update to the database. If so, it should be fine as long as baghandlers scan the barcode and follow the instructions in their screens, instead of relying on the printed IATA codes.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 20, 22, 10:56 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I am really curious to see what kind of people will pay any money to get this piece of useless thing.
Given the current situation in AMS, the bag is likely to be stuck in AMS or abandoned all together as they are so short of baggage handlers. So the tag and the bag wont be going anywhere 😂
Old Jul 21, 22, 7:52 pm

Not to mention the flights are on KLM, Air France, and Lufthansa - all great AS partners..

Search this Thread