Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Lounge Access at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Disappointing there are soo many issues trying to use oneworld perks on AS. Have heard from some friends as well about lounge usage denial on eligible itineraries.
AS is still very much a regional airline in many ways. It’s trying hard to become more global but many employees are stuck in the past. Sadly this causes so many issues and even when you have evidence they are wrong they won’t budge. On the positive side customer care doesn’t seem to take feedback and give some minor comp (I think last they they added a lounge pass).
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:08 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

This is very crazy when you consider that as an Alaska elite, I have had no problems accessing Finnair and other OW lounges.
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
This is very crazy when you consider that as an Alaska elite, I have had no problems accessing Finnair and other OW lounges.
For flights operated by Finnair and every other oneworld airline except AA, it's very simple: oneworld Sapphire/Emeralds have lounge access when flying any oneworld airline (marketed and operated departures from the airport the lounge is in). Easy and simple. (And similar for the competition in Star and Skyteam.)
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I'd have my phone out showing the language on the site and have them call everyone, including Ben's mom if needed, until they let me in if I was on an eligible itinerary. I'd be severely disappointed if on a partner carrier internationally that didn't recognize Alaska status and grant entry, but with all the marketing they've been doing about being a part of OW, for this to happen at their home base / flagship lounge? Really crappy.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:39 pm

I find that AS agents (on the ground or at the call center) are very inconsistent with their knowledge of their own rules.
ashill and Kawliga like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
I find that AS agents (on the ground or at the call center) are very inconsistent with their knowledge of their own rules.
This is, after all, the second thread in a few days about SEA Alaska Lounge agents not knowing about lounge access on oneworld itineraries beyond Canada, US, Mexico, and Caribbean. Lounge Access Flying Economy to Belize or Costa Rica
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
I have flown to Central America, Europe, South America, and Asia as a 75k/ Emerald. Everytime it has been an argument to get into the lounge for Alaska or American. Never had a problem with any other OW carrier. I have to go in knowing the rules and I still get grief. American has been the worst and have been denied even with a cash J ticket. I always end up getting in but you have to be courteous and speak with confidence.
ziggy29 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by buff104
... you have to be courteous and speak with confidence.
In a nutshell, that's pretty much how you always need to be when you have a dispute as a customer -- at least in the beginning. At some point you may sometimes need to ratchet up the anger if they won't help or escalate as necessary, but this is always a good opening.

Last edited by ziggy29; Jul 19, 2022 at 5:30 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by ziggy29
In a nutshell, that's pretty much how you always need to be when you have a dispute as a customer -- at least in the beginning. At some point you may sometimes need to ratchet up the anger if they won't help or escalate as necessary, but this is always a good opening.
The industry term, and I think the appropriate linguistic choice here is: escalate. Nobody gets in trouble for escalating- not you, nor the CS agent. There are decisions of 'empowerment' that are driven to the lowest level assignments possible- task oriented positions. When those fail, and high judgment is required, escalation is the tool used to get those empowered high judgment individuals.

Whether this works in practice or not, has a lot to do with bees and vinegar. I've always taken a "kill em with kindness" attitude. If I'm losing it to an agent, its because they actively did something to mess me up.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Last time I flew SFO-SEA-LHR on AS/AA, the SEA gate agent wouldn't let me in with my AA business class boarding class or with my AA ExecPlat status, BUT they did finally let me in with my SFO-SEA first boarding pass. The agent was apologetic and friendly, but clearly they did not understand the access rules. I probably would have politely escalated if the other methods didn't work.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
Last time I flew SFO-SEA-LHR on AS/AA, the SEA gate agent wouldn't let me in with my AA business class boarding class or with my AA ExecPlat status, BUT they did finally let me in with my SFO-SEA first boarding pass. The agent was apologetic and friendly, but clearly they did not understand the access rules. I probably would have politely escalated if the other methods didn't work.
If it wasn't too long ago, you might still want to send feedback to AS. There seems to be a lot of confusion among their SEA lounge staff regarding the OW rules, and some additional training probably wouldn’t hurt.
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
Last time I flew SFO-SEA-LHR on AS/AA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If it wasn't too long ago, you might still want to send feedback to AS. There seems to be a lot of confusion among their SEA lounge staff regarding the OW rules, and some additional training probably wouldn’t hurt.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34007604-post4.html

Hasn't been flown since March. I doubt it's coming back (though maybe if they get a bunch of 788s/789s and BA cuts some of their service, I suppose, but I'm still pretty skeptical this AA longhaul "hub" will actually ever amount to much).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
OP were you able to use another lounge for this with another alliance partner?
hopeful that AS sends you courtesy miles for this mega error.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: MVPG75, Club 49, OWE, Hilton, Bonvoy, Enterprise Plus, MGM, AA, BA
I have a membership this year, but my husband is an MVPG without one. Can he access lounges with just domestic tickets?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by AkGirl59
I have a membership this year, but my husband is an MVPG without one. Can he access lounges with just domestic tickets?
No, not unless he's travelling with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.