FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Weight on First Class Checked Bags: Strict Enforcement? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2087048-weight-first-class-checked-bags-strict-enforcement.html)

jkatzen Jul 15, 2022 12:19 am

Weight on First Class Checked Bags: Strict Enforcement?

On Alaska, how strict do the ticketing agents tend to be for paid first class travelers with the weight of checked bags?

I know the rule is 50lbs, unlike the 70lbs allowed on most other US airlines.

Do they typically give leeway when in First? Or do they usually charge you $100 starting right at 50.1 lbs?

(We'll be flying ex-LAX, if it matters for outstations vs hubs)

ezak Jul 15, 2022 2:14 am

Most I've been able to get away with was 53 lbs. Honestly, I don't think it has much to do with First Class or elite status, but more about the specific agent's mood and the passenger asking nicely.

pcoll Jul 15, 2022 8:16 am

I have had an agent ask if I would transfer items from 1 of the 2 checked bags due to weight. I believe it was 52 lbs. Second bag was 45.
this was at LAX, and terminal was not busy. ( no one in line, waiting)
But, as mentioned, totally depends on agent.

mtofell Jul 15, 2022 9:11 am

Do you have a luggage scale? I've found them to be super handy when I'm close and want to know.

As for your question, I've gotten by with 52# a couple times but asked to rearrange when over that.

Eastbay1K Jul 15, 2022 9:52 am

From many years of experience of personal and FT information, the most anyone "gets away with" is not more than a rounding error on the 50#. The only exceptions would be when the ticket is issued on another carrier (typically Int'l premium cabin) where the tariff may permit 70#.

I'd expect that the discipline for disobeying this rule isn't light, given the enforcement, even for the highest tiers of flyers on the highest fares in the most luxurious cabin that AS offers.

kileysmom Jul 15, 2022 2:15 pm

I have had agents sort of look the other way for 2 or 3 lbs over but I always weigh at home and say....oops, knew i was close but my luggage scale said 49 lbs. Anything more than that,,$100. Unless....you are connecting to a flight with someone like BA who allow a greater weight for F class. Once in awhile a new-ish agent won't know but ask them to call because AS routinely allows the greater flight's baggage allowance. Also, be aware that unless you are on a connection where you do not collect your bags, it will be $100 for each flight...

Eastbay1K Jul 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom (Post 34429430)
I have had agents sort of look the other way for 2 or 3 lbs over but I always weigh at home and say....oops, knew i was close but my luggage scale said 49 lbs. Anything more than that,,$100. Unless....you are connecting to a flight with someone like BA who allow a greater weight for F class. Once in awhile a new-ish agent won't know but ask them to call because AS routinely allows the greater flight's baggage allowance. Also, be aware that unless you are on a connection where you do not collect your bags, it will be $100 for each flight...

It is not a matter of "AS routinely allows the greater flight's baggage allowance," it is a matter of the tariff of your ticket has the greater allowance.

And as a point of clarification, if you have to collect your bags (for customs purposes, etc.) but they're tagged through and you simply re-drop, you don't pay more.

mtofell Jul 15, 2022 6:17 pm

Along the lines of this topic, as a 100K this year I did move an oversized (but fairly light) dining chair three times without charge. It was the absolute largest combined inches AS allows (as oversized that is). Long story short, we moved and I brought a chair to Hawaii only to find it was made wrong and didn't match the others. So, back to the mainland to return it. Then, the right one back. I was fully expecting to pay the $100 each time but they never charged me. So, it seems there is a lot more flexibility with size than weight.

simonsuo Jul 17, 2022 12:12 am

There was once at JFK and our party of three waited almost 20 minutes at first class checkin a few years ago. Agent apologized for the delay, and allowed a 58 lbs bag.
However, with them joining one world, i do hope they outline the 70 lbs benefit for elites at least.
Maybe they have supple chain issues to get the HEAVY tag ready across the system.🤣

ezak Jul 17, 2022 1:16 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo (Post 34432751)
There was once at JFK and our party of three waited almost 20 minutes at first class checkin a few years ago. Agent apologized for the delay, and allowed a 58 lbs bag.
However, with them joining one world, i do hope they outline the 70 lbs benefit for elites at least.
Maybe they have supple chain issues to get the HEAVY tag ready across the system.🤣

Indeed. I rarely check more than one bags on an AS flight, so the extra quantity means nothing for me, but an extra 20 lbs would make packing a lot easier.

PaperGlider Jul 17, 2022 10:59 pm

Based on my work experience, I have presumed that the weight limits are influenced by baggage handling personnel issues or assumed costs to handle heavier items. Such as safety and cost concerns for employees having to do a single-person or a two-person lift

I would not want to put a counter agent on-the-spot and having to choose between disappointing a customer or violating a rule for which they may get in trouble, so I don't ask for exceptions.

VegasGambler Jul 18, 2022 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 34435198)
Based on my work experience, I have presumed that the weight limits are influenced by baggage handling personnel issues or assumed costs to handle heavier items. Such as safety and cost concerns for employees having to do a single-person or a two-person lift

I would not want to put a counter agent on-the-spot and having to choose between disappointing a customer or violating a rule for which they may get in trouble, so I don't ask for exceptions.

Heavy bags are accepted though. They put a HEAVY tag on them. Hopefully if they make an exception, they still put the tag on it (ie, the exception is to the fee, not to the weight limit -- as long as the tag is on the bag, it makes no difference to the baggage handling personnel whether the fee is charged)

On a recent AA flight I had a 53lb bag. They put a heavy tag on it (I have a 70lb / bag allowance on AA, so no fee was charged)

NoLaGent Jul 18, 2022 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 34436692)
Heavy bags are accepted though. They put a HEAVY tag on them. Hopefully if they make an exception, they still put the tag on it (ie, the exception is to the fee, not to the weight limit -- as long as the tag is on the bag, it makes no difference to the baggage handling personnel whether the fee is charged)

On a recent AA flight I had a 53lb bag. They put a heavy tag on it (I have a 70lb / bag allowance on AA, so no fee was charged)

I can confirm this on AS, just last week. I had to add a client gift (leaded crystal) on my return, bag weighed 54lbs., she winked and said “we’re gonna let this slide today”, attached heavy and priority tag, everything arrived fine. Shockingly, it was also the 2nd bag out on the carousel.

ezak Jul 18, 2022 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 34435198)

As long as they put the "heavy" tag on it, they're not violating any rules. In my experience, they always did this, even if it's only 0.5 lbs over the limit.

jkatzen Jul 18, 2022 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 34428580)
Do you have a luggage scale? I've found them to be super handy when I'm close and want to know.

As for your question, I've gotten by with 52# a couple times but asked to rearrange when over that.

We're packing giant boxes for a move and maxing out every ounce and cubic inch we can get... we're using a bathroom scale to get them maxed out, but as we figure out day-of clothing, etc., I'm wondering if they'll give us some wiggle room if we're a pound or two over. Because the boxes will all be taped up, we won't be able to rearrange day-of... but then again all boxes will be maxed out anyway lol.

(Ordinarily, for a move, I would specifically avoid Alaska, because of their 50lb rule, but we're moving a cat to Hawaii this trip in-cabin, and none of the big legacy carriers will allow that. So here we are.)

Thanks for the insight everyone.