Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 Mileage Runs - 20K Away From 75K

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I was not, it seems to be targeted. It’s pretty meager but every 1,000 counts. I do use the Alaska visa some, and in checking my account don’t see I got any bonuses, so assume I don’t qualify.
Have you achieved any of the 10K requirement? What is your budget? Time constraints? Will your anticipated future flying support it? MVPG won't give you upgrade benefits on AA.

Unfortunately, AS' fares are still very high in September. While moderating, they are not commensurate with other carriers, especially up & down the West Coast.

PHX-ANC non-stop is 2547 miles. Prices on the route are "relatively" inexpensive. Saver from $183 & Main from $213 in September, each way.

If you are in "kill myself" mode you could fly IAH-SEA-PHX-ANC-PHX-SEA-IAH, leaving early (dayone) and arriving back late day two. The fares IAH-SEA-PHX and return are not so favourable though. The itinerary would earn over 11K EQM.

If you have late check-out privileges at a hotel, you could also consider flying AA to PHX, check-in to a hotel for some rest, fly PHX-ANC-PHX. The flight arrives back in PHX at 6:02 am. Head back to the hotel for more sleep. Check-out, do another PHX-ANC return, then catch AA back to IAH.

The EQM from the AA flights won't benefit but the RDM would. AA IAH-PHX-DFW-IAH is cheaper than AS IAH-SEA-PHX one-way. Summer isn't high season in PHX so a night in a hotel would be off-season pricing.

If considering HI, the fares are usually cheapest out of CA. Keep in mind that LAX-OGG is sub 2500 miles. SFO is closer to the Islands than it is to JFK; all SFO-HI routes are sub 2500. Even HNL-SFO-JFK is less than 5K.

10K miles isn't an insignificant amout of flying. IAH-LHR and return (9668) wouldn't pass go.

James
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Originally Posted by HungryNomad
I'm curious about segment runs too. I'm out of IAH and doing a MVP Gold status match (10K) by end of September.

The only caveat is that it can only be AS and not partners.

What about AS codeshare operated by AA?
IAH-LAX for $154 one-way on AA (AS4XXX codeshare Q class), so 100% EQM. From LAX, do a LAX-EWR roundtrip and SDC to LAX-SEA-EWR roundtrip, then fly LAX-IAH AS codeshare AA metal back. Done.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by 985X
What about AS codeshare operated by AA?
IAH-LAX for $154 one-way on AA (AS4XXX codeshare Q class), so 100% EQM. From LAX, do a LAX-EWR roundtrip and SDC to LAX-SEA-EWR roundtrip, then fly LAX-IAH AS codeshare AA metal back. Done.
For challenges, the flights must be marketed & operated by Alaskan. Alaskan Codeshares won't do it. Alaskan at EWR is a nightmare. LAX-EWR to LAX-SEA-EWR is not a SDC. Alaskan outlines what an eligible SDC is. An Alaskan agent might waive the fare difference if you choose to change your itinerary on the day of flight. Whether or not the Alaskan Agent waives the fare difference doesn't make it a SDC.

Let's not call it what it isn't. It is a change, nothing more, nothing less. Okay, back to Alaska.

James
HungryNomad likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you achieved any of the 10K requirement? What is your budget? Time constraints? Will your anticipated future flying support it? MVPG won't give you upgrade benefits on AA.

Unfortunately, AS' fares are still very high in September. While moderating, they are not commensurate with other carriers, especially up & down the West Coast.

PHX-ANC non-stop is 2547 miles. Prices on the route are "relatively" inexpensive. Saver from $183 & Main from $213 in September, each way.

If you are in "kill myself" mode you could fly IAH-SEA-PHX-ANC-PHX-SEA-IAH, leaving early (dayone) and arriving back late day two. The fares IAH-SEA-PHX and return are not so favourable though. The itinerary would earn over 11K EQM.

If you have late check-out privileges at a hotel, you could also consider flying AA to PHX, check-in to a hotel for some rest, fly PHX-ANC-PHX. The flight arrives back in PHX at 6:02 am. Head back to the hotel for more sleep. Check-out, do another PHX-ANC return, then catch AA back to IAH.

The EQM from the AA flights won't benefit but the RDM would. AA IAH-PHX-DFW-IAH is cheaper than AS IAH-SEA-PHX one-way. Summer isn't high season in PHX so a night in a hotel would be off-season pricing.

If considering HI, the fares are usually cheapest out of CA. Keep in mind that LAX-OGG is sub 2500 miles. SFO is closer to the Islands than it is to JFK; all SFO-HI routes are sub 2500. Even HNL-SFO-JFK is less than 5K.

10K miles isn't an insignificant amout of flying. IAH-LHR and return (9668) wouldn't pass go.

James
Thanks (as always for your posts) James. I don’t mind day trips that are basically turns, last year I did EWR and FLL from PDX to make 100k (thanks to you). I do like to have 75k mainly to be able to pick cross aisle premium seats for my wife and I. So for me, that’s worth it. Sadly with Gold 3 days out on our usual PDX/PSP routes the aisle premium seats are usually gone. I suppose if I added up the cost of paying for premium it would be less than the cost of a mileage run, but hey I’m an av geek like many of us. In fact, I’m a docent at the Palm Springs air museum, an incredible place when I am down there. Like you 75% or more of my travel is personal.

I will call Alaska today and see if I qualified for the 5k to 1k promotion. I’m a long time Alaska visa holder but switched most of my charging to the Chase Sapphire Reserve 2 years ago which with its 1:1 Hyatt transfer has been incredible. But I can switch back easily.

What do you mean though “have I achieved any of the 10k requirement”? Thanks again.
HungryNomad likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:53 am

What do you mean though “have I achieved any of the 10k requirement”? Thanks again.
I was asking if you had flown any AS flights during the challenge period or if you still require the full 10K miles. If you need less than 10K miles, that changes the dynamics.

Whether or not you can earn EQM through CC spend, it won't have any bearing on the challenge requirements. You need 10K Butt in Seat miles within the challenge period.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
For challenges, the flights must be marketed & operated by Alaskan. Alaskan Codeshares won't do it. Alaskan at EWR is a nightmare. LAX-EWR to LAX-SEA-EWR is not a SDC. Alaskan outlines what an eligible SDC is. An Alaskan agent might waive the fare difference if you choose to change your itinerary on the day of flight. Whether or not the Alaskan Agent waives the fare difference doesn't make it a SDC.

Let's not call it what it isn't. It is a change, nothing more, nothing less. Okay, back to Alaska.

James

Say Alaskan one more time I will throw pancakes at you in the lounge.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I think we should petition to change the name of the forum to "Alaskan Airlines" to make it easier for all the Brits and Aussies who don't realize that's it's American Airlines but Alaska Airlines. It's not like they read the forum title, but it will help remind the rest of us.
HungryNomad likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:35 pm

Does that mean I can have my cake and eat yours too? Calling a change a SDC irks me more than Alaska in fare class N.

James
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:58 pm

I was asking if you had flown any AS flights during the challenge period or if you still require the full 10K miles. If you need less than 10K miles, that changes the dynamics.

Whether or not you can earn EQM through CC spend, it won't have any bearing on the challenge requirements. You need 10K Butt in Seat miles within the challenge period.

James
Gotya James. No, I was 100k by late last year so that carried over to 2022. I am already gold for 2023, just want to get to 75k.

FYI I called Alaska (should I say Alaskan :-)) mileage plan, and the spend $5k to get $1k campaign was targeted to folks who didn’t make it for 2022 and those miles don’t count EQM wise for 2023. So mileage runs it will be for me or back down to Gold.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
FYI I called Alaska (should I say Alaskan :-)) mileage plan, and the spend $5k to get $1k campaign was targeted to folks who didn’t make it for 2022 and those miles don’t count EQM wise for 2023.
Huh? Didn’t make what? I made MVP75k for 2022 and got the EQM promo. And they do count towards 2023 status.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:49 pm

Or pour an Alaska Amber over their head.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Does that mean I can have my cake and eat yours too?
I won’t presume to speak for 985X, but I sure won’t get in your way if you want to pick ‘em up off the floor and eat ‘em
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Huh? Didn’t make what? I made MVP75k for 2022 and got the EQM promo. And they do count towards 2023 status.
notquiteaff,. I never got the email, but they specifically said the EQM miles earned were for 2022 and would not carry over. BUT - they also said last year the 20,000 mile promo didn’t count towards 2022, but as we all know it did. Wish I’d gotten it. I looked up the link, and here is the verbiage, note what I highlighted in bold text. “This one-time promotion is limited to customers receiving this email and is non-transferable. Selected members that have an Alaska Airlines Consumer and/or Business Card can earn 1,000 elite-qualifying miles that count toward elite status qualification after making any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $5,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to an eligible Alaska Airlines Visa credit card from March 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022. Purchases from different Alaska Airlines credit card accounts cannot be combined to reach each $5,000 threshold. There is no limit to the number of elite-qualifying miles that can be earned. Alaska Airlines Visa accounts opened after 2/28/2022 are not eligible for this offer. Cash Advances and Balance Transfers do not apply for purposes of this offer. Elite-qualifying miles will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account within the first two billing cycles after qualifying. To qualify for this offer, your credit card account must be open with active charging privileges. Bank of America is not responsible for fulfillment of this elite-qualifying miles offer and posting of miles directly to your Alaska Mileage Plan account. Elite qualifying miles will not appear on your credit card statement. Elite-qualifying miles count toward elite status qualification only for calendar year 2022, are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. All Mileage Plan terms and conditions apply”

Last edited by Waitlisted; Jul 21, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
I won’t presume to speak for 985X, but I sure won’t get in your way if you want to pick ‘em up off the floor and eat ‘em
Nah! The last time I had a pancake in the AL was...ummm...never!

James
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
notquiteaff,. I never got the email, but they specifically said the EQM miles earned were for 2022 and would not carry over. BUT - they also said last year the 20,000 mile promo didn’t count towards 2022, but as we all know it did. Wish I’d gotten it. I looked up the link, and here is the verbiage, note what I highlighted in bold text. “This one-time promotion is limited to customers receiving this email and is non-transferable. Selected members that have an Alaska Airlines Consumer and/or Business Card can earn 1,000 elite-qualifying miles that count toward elite status qualification after making any combination of purchase transactions totaling at least $5,000 (exclusive of any fees, including the annual fee, returns and adjustments) that post to an eligible Alaska Airlines Visa credit card from March 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022. Purchases from different Alaska Airlines credit card accounts cannot be combined to reach each $5,000 threshold. There is no limit to the number of elite-qualifying miles that can be earned. Alaska Airlines Visa accounts opened after 2/28/2022 are not eligible for this offer. Cash Advances and Balance Transfers do not apply for purposes of this offer. Elite-qualifying miles will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account within the first two billing cycles after qualifying. To qualify for this offer, your credit card account must be open with active charging privileges. Bank of America is not responsible for fulfillment of this elite-qualifying miles offer and posting of miles directly to your Alaska Mileage Plan account. Elite qualifying miles will not appear on your credit card statement. Elite-qualifying miles count toward elite status qualification only for calendar year 2022, are non-redeemable and cannot be used toward award travel. All Mileage Plan terms and conditions apply”
Ok, not trying to appear dumb… maybe I am just not getting it, but to me “elite status qualification only for calendar year 2022” can only mean the qualification that happens during 2022 that counts for 2023 (and whatever is left of 2022 if you reach a status level before the end of the year). Are you saying that it would only qualify for status itself in 2022? That doesn’t make sense to me given that the promo runs through Dec 31, 2022.

Sorry if I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.