Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Dreaded award BA flight change for short haul

Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium

I was waiting for the schedule change LYS-LHR-SjC-SEA, But the substitute is outrageous. We all know how challenging it is to find U space across the pond, but now I need to start over. I had picked ideal layover time at LHR, etc. now I’m in coach with a barely legal layover time at LHR. Of course I’m still being charged 60K/pp because LYS-LHR is U…..Grrrrr
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

huh??
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Sounds like they got switched to the dreaded “ mixed cabin”.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Time to call the partner desk BA liaison.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enzian
Sounds like they got switched to the dreaded “ mixed cabin”.
I'm no expert on the EU/UK regs but doesn't this qualify for a 75% refund if it's flown in economy after paying for business?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
This trip is on miles. BA announced cancellations of 1000s of flights through October.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lattegirl13
This trip is on miles. BA announced cancellations of 1000s of flights through October.
That's not relevant. Award tickets are also due downgrade compensation (if this qualifies; I'm not sure if it does)
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
At a minimum, the BA vig is lower on economy flights. That will be due as a refund. When is your affected flight? I might consider just canceling the award and purchasing a one-stop PE to SEA. PE fares are very reasonable ex-EU this fall. If we value MP miles at 1.8 cpm, 60K is $1,080 + the vig. Many options for PE return in the $1400 range. For a one-way, a few more dollars but LH LYS-FRA, SQ FRA-JFK & AS JFK-SEA is an option. It misses LHR all together and earns in Mileage Plan too.

Of course, a return would get you back to LYS for fewer dollars overall. AY is a good option for EU, but pretty late in the game for this summer & fall.

James
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
For October I have a paid cash BA ticket SEA-LHR-FRA, returning BER-LHR-SEA in PE. The total price was $1560. I bought because I need the miles to requal for MVP Gold (not gonna make 75K this year). Given those prices, it makes little economic sense to use miles for BA travel if the award cost is 120K + ~$1K.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
For October I have a paid cash BA ticket SEA-LHR-FRA, returning BER-LHR-SEA in PE. The total price was $1560. I bought because I need the miles to requal for MVP Gold (not gonna make 75K this year). Given those prices, it makes little economic sense to use miles for BA travel if the award cost is 120K + ~$1K.
I've never used miles for a BA award and never will, but that's not the point.

If you are downgraded on an ex-UK or ex-EU flight (or any flight on a UK or EU carrier) you are due a certain percentage refund (depending on distance) of the fare (prorated by distance of you were downgraded for only some segments). For anything over 3500km it's a 75% refund. This applies to fare, miles, and carrier surcharges -- you get 75% back of what you paid. This is even true if you booked F and were downgraded to J.

Furthermore if your downgrade results in lower taxes being due (eg from premium cabin to econ ex-UK, resulting in a lower APD) you should get the difference in taxes refunded.

The airline may just try to refund you the fare difference but you should not accept this.

I'm not quite sure how this works if you booked through a third party (eg AS) but I don't believe that there is a carveout for third party bookings. If AS wants to sell flights to and from the UK/EU they have to follow the regs there, just like foreign carriers and travel agents that sell flights that touch the US have to follow DOT regs (eg, 24-hour cancellation).

You can probably get more information on other forums (the UK regs are essentially copied and pasted from EU regs, with obvious changes like converting fixed compensations from euros to pounds)
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS
Just looking at BA award travel from SEA to LHR. Why does BA , for Partner Business ask for 70,000 on some flights? It is a 3 cabin plane.
AS award chart has business at 60,000 and First at 70,000. Most are 60,000 but there are some at 70,000.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just looking at BA award travel from SEA to LHR. Why does BA , for Partner Business ask for 70,000 on some flights? It is a 3 cabin plane.
AS award chart has business at 60,000 and First at 70,000. Most are 60,000 but there are some at 70,000.
Accidentally found one even stranger: 70,000 miles in the First Class box but all in Coach!
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: AS
Checking daily for award travel next fall on BA. I have not been able to book any Business / club world or First awards showing on AS site. Tried other departing cities and dates, it always comes back as error, try again later.
Called MVPG line and they said that awards on site are not always current availability. 🙄
Checked BA Avios award calendar which show A few days with PE seat award only.
Frustrated that AS continues to show awards that do not exist for BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.