Search

Scenic flights / sight seeing on Alaskan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:29 pm
jso
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Scenic flights / sight seeing on Alaskan

I will be staying in Seattle for a while and I was thinking of taking a short trip as a poor mans scenic flight. I have miles and time to burn.
Can someone make recommendations on what routes would be good to book a redemption ticket on to see the sights.
I'm thinking SEA-GTF or maybe SEA-FCA as they are dash 400s

There are threads about flying the milk runs, can that be done on points?

Any suggestions or locations that are usually clouded in would be very helpful.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've enjoyed the scenery on SEA-JNU, although you probably want to be on the "east" side of the aircraft so that you don't just see a lot of ocean in the middle of the flight. When the plane is over the ocean, you want to be looking toward the coast.
jso likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I suggest flying directly to JNU, then Take the milk run back via WRG, PSG, and KTN. It can all be booked by miles.
mjbulzomi, jso and nineworldseries like this.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Jul 9, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I suggest flying directly to JNU, then Take the milk run back via WGL WRG, PSG, and KTN. It can all be booked by miles.
I’ve done this 2x; it’s an easy day trip, with enough time for some sightseeing with a rental car (presuming availability) or on the city bus

“A” seats (left side window) are preferable for KTN-SEA, but for the panhandle flights you can’t really go wrong on either side (and as mentioned, the right side window “F” seats are better for SEA-JNU)

Seat 2A has posted some excellent pix from this flight in the Views from Above the Wing thread (some of mine are in there too, but the quality of iPhone photos isn’t anywhere as good)

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 9, 2022 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 9, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I recently did ANC-JNU-PSG-WRG and had amazing views, although the weather played a part. Obviously you need to sit on the side of the aircraft facing east. The views near Icy Bay were amazing, and between JNU and PSG consisted of lovely snowy peaks. PSG-WRG barely brought us above 5,000 feet (if I had to guess), which was a cool feeling for being in a 737. Other great views can be had flying Ravn between ANC and VDZ. I've had the closest thing to a "flight seeing tour" on that route.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 3:04 pm

I had great views of Denali on ANC-FAI and back, but this will really depend on weather.

Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by hpmh
I had great views of Denali on ANC-FAI and back, but this will really depend on weather.

Wow. These make me want to take that trip.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Alaskan
Emeraldcity likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Alaskan
Thank. God. I thought I was the only one. The snark in me wanted to say "Good luck finding any scenic flights on Alaskan."
Emeraldcity likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Alaskan
Seems to happen on here every few weeks for some reason.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Thank. God. I thought I was the only one. The snark in me wanted to say "Good luck finding any scenic flights on Alaskan."
Originally Posted by econ
the
mods *might* edit the title if you flag the first post in the thread and mention it …
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by econ
I much prefer Alaskan Airlines to America Airlines
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

As noted above, "Alaskan" is a regular in our forum. If misspellings, misstatements and mischaracterizations were disqualifying on FT, I and many others would have been gone a long time ago. Let's focus on the scenic flights.

dayone, AS Moderator
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
As noted above, "Alaskan" is a regular in our forum. If misspellings, misstatements and mischaracterizations were disqualifying on FT, I and many others would have been gone a long time ago. Let's focus on the scenic flights.

dayone, AS Moderator
Fair enough. Good Disneyland fireworks on the SEA-SNA late flights.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably also on SNA-SEA (AS550) on the 4th … anyone in an “F” seat would have had a great view of the show over Lake Union 🎆

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.