Community
Wiki Posts
Search

baggage charge on american

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

baggage charge on american

I tried a search but could not find the answer. I booked a flight using miles. The flight is on AA. I am an alaska credit card holder. Will AA charge me for bags?
I read both airlines websites and was still not clear.

Thank you
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by ktmangione
I tried a search but could not find the answer. I booked a flight using miles. The flight is on AA. I am an alaska credit card holder. Will AA charge me for bags?

Thank you
If you have status on AS you get free checked bags on AA (how many depends on your tier). If you don't, my understanding is that your credit card benefit is only good for checked bags on AS and won't transfer to AA.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
If you have status on AS you get free checked bags on AA (how many depends on your tier). If you don't, my understanding is that your credit card benefit is only good for checked bags on AS and won't transfer to AA.
this is correct, assuming your entire itinerary is on AA (rules are different if you fly AS and connect to AA). And if you have status don’t forget the AA app will try to charge you for bags so you should wait til arriving at the airport to check the bags in.
dgreen12 and SeaLuggageLover like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ktmangione

Thank you
Your flight is operated by AA, so you have to follow AA baggage policies. The AS CC provides a free checked bag on AS operated flights. Read the terms of the benefits of the card; it's pretty clear.

You may get a free checked bag on AA through other means (premium cabin allowance, AA/AS/OW status, or an AA CC) but your AS CC will not factor in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.