Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Original fare class or involuntary fare class - earning miles question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original fare class or involuntary fare class - earning miles question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Question Original fare class or involuntary fare class - earning miles question

Hey all,

Did a quick search but couldn't find this so maybe the experts can help me out on this. Say, I have a ticket that was original booked in V (outbound) and K (inbound). There were some flights disrupted and the inbound flights were changed to Y class. Even my flights' receipt stated as Y class for the inbound. So do I earn Y class and its bonuses (this is QR by the way) or do I earn the miles base on the original K class? Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by flyer89
Hey all,

Did a quick search but couldn't find this so maybe the experts can help me out on this. Say, I have a ticket that was original booked in V (outbound) and K (inbound). There were some flights disrupted and the inbound flights were changed to Y class. Even my flights' receipt stated as Y class for the inbound. So do I earn Y class and its bonuses (this is QR by the way) or do I earn the miles base on the original K class? Thanks!
I've had this happen several times on AA and AS has always credited my miles according to the fare class for the new ticket.

Last edited by SeaLuggageLover; Jul 3, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Hey all,

Firstly, is this a QR flight number or an AS flight number? AS does market some QR routes. Flight numbers are in the range AS5800-AS5899.

If the former, you would accrue 100% EQM by distance as shown in the QR charts. There is no COS bonus on QR Y fares.

If the later, you would accrue according to the AS charts, both the K outbound and Y inbound earn 100% EQM while the Y inbound would also receive a 50% COS.

James
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
I've had this happen several times on AA and AS has always credited my miles according to the fare class for the new ticket.
Hmm interesting, guess I'll call them back on Tuesday then. Long story short, the miles and EQM credited to BA instead of AS. So it has to be manually requested and the CSR has to manually input in the miles and she wasn't sure what fare class for the inbound and she mentioned that she would just go by the outbound one.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Firstly, is this a QR flight number or an AS flight number? AS does market some QR routes. Flight numbers are in the range AS5800-AS5899.

If the former, you would accrue 100% EQM by distance as shown in the QR charts. There is no COS bonus on QR Y fares.

If the later, you would accrue according to the AS charts, both the K outbound and Y inbound earn 100% EQM while the Y inbound would also receive a 50% COS.

James
Thank you for your reply James, it was QR flight, during the medical professional's QR promo. It was a free ticket but I want my 50% bonus for Y! lol
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Hmm interesting, guess I'll call them back on Tuesday then. Long story short, the miles and EQM credited to BA instead of AS. So it has to be manually requested and the CSR has to manually input in the miles and she wasn't sure what fare class for the inbound and she mentioned that she would just go by the outbound one.

Thank you for your reply James, it was QR flight, during the medical professional's QR promo. It was a free ticket but I want my 50% bonus for Y! lol
You mention that the flights were originally posted to BA. Generally, AS won't manually credit to Mileage Plan if the flights have already been posted to another FF account. Perhaps the long story short should be a little longer.

In cases where I have had flights post to the wrong FF account, I contact the airline that was credited and request a reversal and for them to push it over to AS. That way, all the correct information is transmitted and processed automatically. Did BA reverse the credit to BAEC?

Maybe it is best not to know the long story. ;-) If you can provide documentation that the changes to the ticket reflect a Y fare basis, AS should credit accordingly, if it is eligible.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 4, 2022 at 1:46 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:07 pm

Back in January I booked a RT SEA-LAX with departure SEA-LAX in mid-May and return LAX-SEA on Memorial Day. My original departing flight was at 8:00am from SEA, and was later cancelled. I called in to Reservations to get the flight change I wanted - a 9:15am departure instead of the automatic rebooking of 7:00am that Alaska gave me.

My original booking SEA-LAX was in O, but due to my needing to call Reservations for the flight change, the Reservations agent was unable to move me to the 9:15am flight in O, and my reissued ticket showed Y. When I checked my earnings after landing at LAX, I was credited with O fare earnings, not Y fare earnings. That extra 50% would have been nice, but for a 954 mile flight, an extra 477 miles is immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

Just my experience.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You mention that the flights were originally posted to BA. Generally, AS won't manually credit to Mileage Plan if the flights have already been posted to another FF account. Perhaps the long story short should be a little longer.

In cases where I have had flights post to the wrong FF account, I contact the airline that was credited and request a reversal and for them to push it over to AS. That way, all the correct information is transmitted and processed automatically. Did BA reverse the credit to BAEC?

Maybe it is best not to know the long story. ;-) If you can provide documentation that the changes to the ticket reflect a Y fare basis, AS should credit accordingly, if it is eligible.

James
Well basically, I used my BA Gold status to access Al Mourjan lounge in DOH, I had my AS number on my ticket so I was not OWE, but I showed the check in agent downstair and again, at the check in desk my BA Gold status card, they let me in with no problem. The only problem is, when I landed back in the States, it was credited to my BA account, so I guess the agent manually updated my BA number for the flights back, hence my flights got credited to BA. I did contacted BA and they approved the reversal within 24 hours of emailing the customer service. The weird thing is, I did the same thing for outbound, and the flights credited to AS just fine.

I have done this multiple time where I traveled with my AS account and get lounge access with my BA gold card at Admiral/Alaska lounges, they usually just manually typed in the BA number and I still earned miles through AS just fine... first time for everything. I knew something was off when the flights back, I got greeted by the FAs in Y... That's when I kind of knew it shows I'm OWE ... lol hopefully that clears up thing.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mjbulzomi
Back in January I booked a RT SEA-LAX with departure SEA-LAX in mid-May and return LAX-SEA on Memorial Day. My original departing flight was at 8:00am from SEA, and was later cancelled. I called in to Reservations to get the flight change I wanted - a 9:15am departure instead of the automatic rebooking of 7:00am that Alaska gave me.

My original booking SEA-LAX was in O, but due to my needing to call Reservations for the flight change, the Reservations agent was unable to move me to the 9:15am flight in O, and my reissued ticket showed Y. When I checked my earnings after landing at LAX, I was credited with O fare earnings, not Y fare earnings. That extra 50% would have been nice, but for a 954 mile flight, an extra 477 miles is immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

Just my experience.
If it's that short of a flight, I wouldn't mind. But this was HKT-DOH-LAX, that 50% bonus would be nice lol.
mjbulzomi likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
When i do SDC from confirmed U class back to main cabin - it books into Y class....alwasy posted to the original fare class purchased....
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
When i do SDC from confirmed U class back to main cabin - it books into Y class....alwasy posted to the original fare class purchased....
Yes. When you're making changes through AS, they can easily see and track your original fare code. The OP was flying another airline and in my experience, the communication between different airlines isn't the best and flights have been credited according to the new fare code. I've had this happen more than once when crediting AA flights to AS.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Yes. When you're making changes through AS, they can easily see and track your original fare code. The OP was flying another airline and in my experience, the communication between different airlines isn't the best and flights have been credited according to the new fare code. I've had this happen more than once when crediting AA flights to AS.
This is probably not about communication. AA often can't keep track of this information even if there are no other airlines involved.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update, end result, AS won't credit those flights as Y, I even provided the receipt copy, but the agent told me "no one is ever booked in Y" and gave me the same flights' credits as the outbound which is K. While the 50% additional bonus is nice, I'm just glad to see them finally get credited since it has been 6 months to get those two flights manually credited...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.