Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage weight limit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Baggage weight limit

I have a purchased first class ticket and oneworld Emerald status. With this, for checked bags, am I still subject to the 50 lb. Max? Or is there a higher limit?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Unfortunately, there is not on AS, and you are. 50 lb. is max, regardless of cabin or status, without an additional fee.
navydevildoc likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Unfortunately, there is not on AS, and you are. 50 lb. is max, regardless of cabin or status, without an additional fee.
Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
However, as a one world emerald I believe you get three 50lb bags, rather than two. I think this applies both for you and your companion on the same reservation.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If, however, you are on connections with an international flight with a higher weight limit, that weight limit applies. I regularly do ANC-SEA-LHR in F and there is a 3 bag, 70# each bag limit even on the ANC-SEA on Alaska. Often, however, the ANC check in staff don't know this so you have to ask them to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:07 pm

What about a flight from Utqiagvik to Anchorage, connecting to an American flight through Dallas to the East Coast? Passenger has Emerald One World status, ticket purchased from AA. Would AS or AA baggage rules prevail given check-in at BRW? Alaska has already advised that they will not put anyone in the PNR record on the upgrade list for either premium or first class for the BRW to ANC leg because the ticket was purchased from American. So it seems if the 2 piece 50 lb. limit applies, AS is playing heads, we win, tails, you lose.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drseagrass
What about a flight from Utqiagvik to Anchorage, connecting to an American flight through Dallas to the East Coast? Passenger has Emerald One World status, ticket purchased from AA. Would AS or AA baggage rules prevail given check-in at BRW? Alaska has already advised that they will not put anyone in the PNR record on the upgrade list for either premium or first class for the BRW to ANC leg because the ticket was purchased from American. So it seems if the 2 piece 50 lb. limit applies, AS is playing heads, we win, tails, you lose.
Baggage and upgrades are unrelated.

You always check bags with the first operating carrier, and you follow their rules. In the case of a connecting international flight AS may defer to the other airlines' rules (which usually works against you) but for an all-domestic itinerary they follow their own rules. Honestly if it did not work this way there would be mass confusion. For through-checked baggage they need to pick one set of rules to follow, and going with the first operating carrier is the simplest way to do it.

Upgrades are a different story and are up to the operating carrier for each segment. The reason that they won't upgrade you is most likely more due to technical reasons than anything. Is it a codeshare? I'll bet you have no problem getting on the upgrade list at the gate. I recommend being there when the gate agent arrives so you have a better chance of there being better premium seats available.

FWIW this is not unique to AS. I had a similar problem on AA after booking a B6 codeshare -- I could not be added to the upgrade list in advance due to the flight not being marketed by AA. It's a bigger hassle with AS because they consider "premium class" to be an upgrade. On AA, MCE is just seat selection in economy so I was able to select that with my AA status, but no way to get on the upgrade list before the gate (in the end the price of the AA-marketed flight dropped to same price as the codeshare within 24hr so I cancelled the B6 ticket and rebooked with the native AA flight number)
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
This caught me out last month, flying SFO - SAN in paid F with OW status and assumed I had the 70lb/32kg limit. It would have been $100 excess baggage fee but thankfully the check-in agent let me off after I was apologetic.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:53 am

The weight limit doesn’t apply to sporting goods. Be creative.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Is it a codeshare? I'll bet you have no problem getting on the upgrade list at the gate. I recommend being there when the gate agent arrives so you have a better chance of there being better premium seats available.
No, I don’t think this is a code share, I’d called it a joint ticket. The AS flight doesn’t have an AA flight number, and you can’t buy this itinerary from AS, only from AA. Alaska sells the opposite of this on some flights through Chicago that connect to Anchorage using AS. You fly the short leg to ORD on AA, with an AA flight number, then AS the rest of the way to either Anchorage or an outlying community in Alaska and you can’t buy that ticket from AA, only from AS. Have to see if the Emerald One World rules apply for checking in with AA because it would be a ticket purchased from Alaska. Based upon starting these short flights to ANC in both OME and BRW in the past year, the AS baggage rules apply, but my experience has been that you can’t get upgraded at the airport or before by AS, even to premium class when the fare basis allows a free upgrade upon purchase, based upon AS elite status. Exit row seating was possible though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.